Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I was working on setting up some control points for the deck extension and the back of the new seats when I noticed this.

The point where the bump up that forms the gunnel starts almost exactly 1" off from port to starboard. I measured this from where the transom comes up and turns flat into the fantail / rear deck. Someone must have measured once at the factory that day, lol.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I got some control points laid out, next I need to pull out the mock up and start building the extension for the rear deck / fantail / hot chick sunning area, lol.

I'm going to try using MDO to build the mold, seems like it would work nicely....guess we will find out.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Looking forward to getting some mold built this weekend! Hopefully it will start to take some shape by Sunday!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Here are the first pics Woe. I have some video but I am so behind on editing! I'll try to get caught up on that.

Here is the back side of the mold. Its all MDO plywood, but left overs from another project. I'm hoping it will work well for these one off molds

This is a pic of the mold interior surface. The large flat area is the deck and the long piece sticking up in the air is the leg that will go down to the deck. The angled piece on the right side of the deck is the shoulder that steps up to pick up the dog house.

If you ave having a hard time understanding it....don't worry, so am I lol! you have to think about everything backwards so to speak. and I may have it totally screwed up lol!

This is a close up of the shoulder area. I put a long piece of scrap where the groove is that the dog house sits in.

That groove will extend vertially up vertically also, eventually putting the groove in the leg that goes to the deck. If you look close, you will see a piece of wood int the back corner, perpendicular to the groove piece....that will help tot radius the front corner of the the deck next too the groove for the dog house.......:bounce:My head seems to hurt for some reason.......More tomorrow!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I think I picture it .... Does the layup go on the inside or the outside or both ? :dizzy: :rolleyes: :lol:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
LOL, it is a little tricky! it lays up on the inside.....then I have to add stiffeners to the back side.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I finished up the mold this morning, cutting the grove piece for the dog house wasn't too bad.

After that I waxed it and added the clay to the corners. There is something of an art to the clay.....I winged it best I could, which should be close enough since we are glassing in the part and doing bodywork anyhow. I can always clean things up while I'm doing that.

Putting PVA on it right now. I'm going to put one layer of CSM on it, then go to lunch while if fires off and cures. I'm thinking 2 layers of CSM, then a couple layers of 1708.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks guys! last layup.......it was a bit of a pain in the .......but i finally got it done. I hate it when its cool at night and warm in the day. Had problems with cold resin, then the reverse this afternoon.....solving that by leaving the heat on tonight lol!

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
looks great so far, interested to see how it's going to take shape in fug! Following along closely, lol.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I'm really happy with the way it came out........have some rough spots, but very servicable part......assuming it fits :eek:

I am really happy with the corner, a little sanding and we are good!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
The clay worked well Skater, just a bit of a learning curve. For sure this part will need some sanding, but overall everything worked pretty well.

Thanks Pat, trying to get my butt in gear dragging some after battling with it all day yesterday! I'm thinking today will go smoother, just need to clean up the mold, reverse it .....more clay and pva...then lay it up!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Mike today is going better, I have the first two layups done, heading over for lunch while it fires off