Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Correct I did Miss M in seacast. It just seems a lot easier to me after watching Jay fiddle with all the details on the Sea Ray. It is easy to work with, but cost more....sort of, I wonder if you actually took all the cost for both methods, and added them up, would there be much difference?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If we're only talking about a savings of $100 and comparing the ease of use between Prepping and installing wood as compared to Seacast...Then even though I'm a "WOOD" man Poly Resin FREAK, I'd be ALL OVER using the SeaCast!!!! You'd have it mixed and poured by the time I had the plywood coated and drying from it's first coat of sealing resin. For $100 dollar savings the time and effort just don't add up. Not for this Old Dumb Okie!
I may be Dumb but that don't mean I'm Smart!!!!

bear_69cuda

Commander
Hey Arch,

Cool boat dood! Looking forward to watching your mad skills! Nice score on the engine...

Seacast seems like a good call...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Bear, welcome aboard!

Still pondering the wood vs seacast, but leaning towards the seacast route....

I spent yesterday afternoon moving the boat and motors. Its amazing how many other things I had to move in the process lol! Today I worked on cleaning up the 6 and sorting through what parts I need and what I can reuse from the 4 banger. I also shot this video of the cylinders on the 6

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't think the 6 has been fired up since the rebuild. Looks like it was just put together yesterday, not 20 years ago. Except for the dust - no wonder the sinuses are acting up. :eek:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks, I have a pretty good list of items to hunt down, but hopefully I can get her started soon! I want to make sure she pans out all the way, before I commit to building the deck back to fit her.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I did some research tonight. As I suspected I found some aumotive parts on the new motor. Starter is for a for a car, so it is getting tossed. The good news is the 4 banger uses the same starter, which is good news.....assuming I didn't toast it while trying to turn over the 4 banger. The distributor is the correct one, so that is good. I still need to check the alternator, but I think it will be good since its off the 4 banger. I also need to check the carb, but I think it is the correct one from looking at pics.....still need to check the numbers. It needs an overhaul by the way. I'm not going to bother with the fuel pump, its the wrong one for sure.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Cool project for sure! Those inline 6's are excellent engines although a 4.3 would of been completely awesome.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks boatnut.....I like the 4.3 but the 6 kind of makes it a rat rod, maybe I should do thru hull exhaust, lol!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Totally do the through hull!!! When I was a kid, my dad had a Ford industrial I6 that he used for an irrigation pump motor, and he just ran a straight pipe for the exhaust. Sounded pretty good under load! Maybe you could do the corsa captains choice like friscoboater did!:D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
The thru hull maybe on round two of the rebuild next winter nurseman! Right now I just want to get her running, lol! We are remodeling at the office, so I was tied up most of the weekend with that. I did manage to get a few hours on it today. I stripped the wiring harness off of the 4 banger, I'm going to use it as a template to build one for the 6. I also pulled the 4 off the engine stand, and put the 6 on it. I pulled the carb and stripped it down, all I can say is NASTY!

There is no way it would have ran with all the junk in it. Its going to take a few days for the carb cleaner to eat through all that junk. now lets hope i can get it back together!

I have also been adding to my stash of parts.....waiting on plug wires, not that I'm going to need them this week, lol.

I'm going to try to get some time in on it this week, but the carpet guys are coming for round one at the office on Friday......yeah, cant wait to move everything.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well Well Well..it is Christmas at your house!!!! That carb is a dirty old cow!! Im sure she will run like a champ when you are done!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Quick question has anyone rebuilt a mercrusier wiring harness? I was thinking g about replacing the wires, but it looks like the cannon plug is molded on. It might make more since to extend the wires where I need to for the 6 ( reusing the 4 banger harness) I was just thinking about replacing the wires while I had it off. Not sure there is anything wrong with them.