Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Arch, what goes below that bottom paper cut out you have on the left there? Been so long since you had it all together I forget .. :facepalm:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I went out the the lake last weekend to finish what I hope to be the last of the spring chores. I took off a few days at work and made some progress on Fuggly. I finished up the last of the stuff before upholstery, and have it coated in penetrating epoxy. Basically that is the pad between the two back seats, in front of the dog house, and the two pads on the decks either side of the doghouse. Forgot to take pics, so I guess they don't exist!

After that I scribed the bottom of the the side panels / dash assemblies. one was an inch lower than the other. After taking them out I trimmed off the excess so they have an even reveal at the bottom.

After that i flipped the pieces over, took out the temporary blocking on the backs of the panels at the splice and glassed them up.

The originally bottoms for the side panel storage was glassed to the hull and then the side panel was riveted to it. I decided that it would be easier for me to glass the shelf to the side panel, then tab it to the hull when I install the panels / dash for the last time. I started out by grinding, yeah! I'm hopeing this is one of the last times!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I made some molds by screwing 1x4 and 1x6s to the side panels from the backside. The holes should eventually be covered by upholstery. Here are the back shelf forms

And the front shelf forms

1708 cut to fit.

All laid up.

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
Making a lot of good headway there Arch.

As for me...
This was what I've been up against lately. I took the pic today at about 5PM mountain time.

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Arch, what do use as a release agent to ensure your forms aren't glued to the side panels?
Cheers

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Gomopar, nice to hear from you! I went swimming in the lake last weekend....not sure how you do it! If I had to move someplace, it would be further south!

Pcola, nothing more complicated than packing tape. Polyester doesn't stick to it, neither does urethane foam or epoxy.

I pulled the mold forms after dinner tonight, turned out nicely. Now for a trimming then some paint, and back in for the last time!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
by the way for some reason I finally feel like I am on the down hill slide, I guess that is because I am getting close to getting down to putting the drive and motor back in for the last time!

Pusher

Lieutenant
You've got this Arch! Looking great so far and no need to rush it at the rate you're going!

Thanks for sharing the packing tape trick!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Pusher, I am just ready to get her in the water.

We had normal OK spring weather yesterday, wind, hail , rain, tornadoes....so I didn't get anything done on Fuggly. Today we had some storms, but they were east of me and heading east as normal. I cleaned up the mess from the last round of work and put together a parts list for the week......oddly enough I had a hard time thinking of stuff to put on it. That will change when I get to the drive and electrical, but for now I have a stack of stuff to get installed.

My plan of attack for tomorrow is to do a few areas of grinding on the boat, pull it out, wash it off and do some color sanding. There are a few spots where I want to knock the orange peal down, and 3 where I had issues with water dripping off of the hose. I'm not going for GM's show finish, just cleaning the old girl up! After that I want to get busy with the hull fittings and buffing out the aluminum that needs to be buffed out. Time for the bling to go back on the girl! Rub rail, cleats, windows, lights etc. I also want to get the battery hold downs sorted out. Also on the short list are getting the dash / side panels painted, but I am thinking that is a next weekend deal. I have yard chores on Sunday, :grumpy:

I have to brag on Iboats. I ordered the fuel gauge and depth finder from them. I wanted Faria gauges, just like Miss Morgan. I have been very happy with them, same style, but in the black. They are fairly close to the Mercruiser gauges, so should blend in nicely with the NOS.

This is a pic of the fuel gauge and the CORRECT depth gauge. I got the depth gauge really quick, so when UPS showed up with it, I cracked the box open in my office to see the new toy......

:eek:

I freaking ordered the thru hull sending unit, not the in hull! I wasn't excited about cutting a hole through the hull. I called Iboats, no big deal. They sent me the correct one and the info on returning the wrong one. Very excellent service, couldn't be happier!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Nice work once again Arch. I always enjoy seeing your work. One day I will get things to come out looking like yours. Until then, I just have to keep people at a distance so they can't see the Uh Ohs I've made too easily. :eek:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Don't let gm kid ya arch ..
Today I saw first hand his handy work !!
And it is as advertised ! Awesome stuff !!
Me thinks 99.9 % of all our forum members do outstanding work on their boats .
I may be the other . 01 % though ..😣

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Sam I suspect both of you do awesome work!

Is it just me or does everyone else spend as much time cleaning and organizing as they do working on the boat? I spent 4 hours today cleaning the shop and cleaning out the paint booth in the hanger. I did get Fuggly washed down and cleaned up, then after drying moved into the paint booth.

After that I did more chores in the yard (spent part of the morning spraying the roses).....getting ready to spray the acreage tomorrow in an attempt to get rid of more of the weeds. I love this time of year and hate it when I am working on a boat!

chevymaher

Commander
Is it just me or does everyone else spend as much time cleaning and organizing as they do working on the boat?

It isn't just you. Next work session tomorrow I got to put tools up so I can find them. They all scattered on the bench. I got to clean the wood I been stripping out of the boat so I can find the tools when I set them down in there. Put as much wood as I can in the garbage monday is garbage pick up.

So I will probably get a big fat nothing actually done on the boat. Soon as the rain stops I got to cut grass and I got a deck to do next week. No amount of getting up at the crack of dawn is going to create more time this week.

Pusher

Lieutenant
I spent all day doing yard work. I guess I got tabs for the trailer if that counts. We wish for warm weather then we are a slave to the weeds it entails 😕

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You are certainly not alone when it comes to cleaning up the shop. I have to do that every now and then just to get things organized again to be able to work on any one of the multi projects I usually have going on at anyone time. It is time consuming, but it is just another chore that has to be done ever so often. :eek:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Friday night update......I nuked the weeds last Sunday, they are a nice shade of mostly dead! Monday Tuesday night had some other rat killing, Wednesday night I was going to color sand the boat and buff it out Thursday night.....got home and started feeling weird, then some sort of 24 hour flu bug hit me, I was down for the count! I took off yesterday and recovered. Fortunately it was a slow week so I still got out early today.

By the way I am glad its not just me cleaning all the time, and I am generally a slob in the shop, lol! I would hate to be OCD about dust in the shop, lol!

This afternoon / evening I color sanded the aqua color and buffed it out...for some reason my arms and shoulders hurt......

Its always hard to photography gloss, but it looks pretty nice.....not a show finish, but pretty sexy. I used a Milwaukee variable speed buffer, 3M Perfect It wool pad, and 3M Perfect It rubbing compound. I wet sanded it with 1500 before buffing. I didn't hit everything, I skipped the windshield frame and the casting platform thing up front. I mainly wanted to knock down some trash and a little orange peel.

Tomorrow paint prep for the dash and buffing out some of the aluminum I am saving.......more buffing, lol

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Bravo Arch, it think it looks amazing. And I do know all about arms and shoulders aching after wet sanding and buffing. But your results looks absolutely worth it to me. :thumb: :thumb: