Rehab SportCraft 222 1983 deep V hull cuddy walkaround

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
It's been my experience and that of others that Balsa Core is NOT the easiest material to work with.

I've been trying to view vertical layups with no good luck. Mostly horizontal layups or repairs. Most sandwich materials are the high end composites or foam.
Trying to get a simple look or a more enclosed wheelhouse. The boat did not come with a windshield so I'll need to do soemthing one way or a nutter. On the lower pic I could use my sewing machine and add canvas sides, back etc with windows. I kinda dig the lower pic.

parker-widg.jpg

Eastern_22_Sisu_RI_00000-1.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
The corelite boards sound interesting .. Is this for epoxy application only or will poly stick ?
At some point I need to make a casting deck for the Manatee ..
Come on spring !!!

Poly or epoxy is referenced on the various builds and specs. The price is great and the weight is awesome compared to ply.
Corelight sheet 4x8x 1/2" looks like $169.00. I'm looking at the balsacore which is much cheaper.

per mfg;
Additionally, this structural balsa wood core material is easy to bond when using any type of resin or adhesive. Balsa core also serves as a natural insulator, fire retardant and noise reduction material.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I like the bottom pic also .. And with the canvas enclosure during the real hot months rolling them up would be nice for some air flow ..

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yea.... it is a simple fix the lower pic. Plus I can add some heat for the fall striper fishing. I think I made my mind up.
Thanks guys for your input. Geezzz that's more response than the SOTY. So get out there and place a vote.:joyous:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Kc i built my own hardtop on the wood boat using the yellow foam board from hd, put a layer of wood on each side and glassed it in no problem had a nice bow from side to side as well the sides as long as you encapsulate the wood i think you would be fine and you seem to have that epoxy down pat!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Kc i built my own hardtop on the wood boat using the yellow foam board from hd, put a layer of wood on each side and glassed it in no problem had a nice bow from side to side as well the sides as long as you encapsulate the wood i think you would be fine and you seem to have that epoxy down pat!

Thanks Mick, they call that a SANDWICH APPLICATION OR CORE APPLICATION.
I always like hearing from you. Good stuff will consider.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Thanks Mick, they call that a SANDWICH APPLICATION OR CORE APPLICATION.
I always like hearing from you. Good stuff will consider.

love a sammich :) i was actually pretty shocked when finished i could easily walk on it at two fitty :)

Zombie

Recruit
Well, ran into pic problems. my ip4 picswon't go into my xp...everyone knows that, right>>>...Another load of tech stuff. So I took out the camera with a camera card{remember them** and took some shots today then went to photobucket. Hope theses load.
Primary work is up front under the cuddy. Tough spot. Two stringers furthest to left and right had to be cut open for me to access and be able to; fillet and glass.
PICT0007_zpsb5442b1a.jpg
left side
PICT0010_zpsc0b8d46c.jpg
b

Then here is one of both sides. After that the next bulk head is for the gas tank area coming up soon. The center area above gets a well I saved. Two more stringers go in between the chopped up ones and the well area. Bulkheads are cut out but each area is in a sense a process so that I can later install bulkheads after all stringers are tabbed in and cleaned up.
I did use Wog's and Zool's ideas to hang up the sheets of glass but those pics are on my phone. Thanks for the ideas guys, it worked fine.
There will be 4 areas that need butt blocks after completion. left and right stringers where I made work access and the center two where the wood came up short to the main bulkhead. I think those need to be @ 6" both sides overlapping, then fillet and glassed again and of course pb.

The rear workshop;
PICT0011_zps091850ca.jpg

More pics...I have to take my son out to the store...Then back into boat.;
PICT0009_zps9b4c510c.jpg
PICT0007_zpsb5442b1a.jpg
PICT0001_zpsf74319ac.jpg
PICT0003_zpse0c1eadc.jpg

Hello. I am so glad that you shared this project. I have a question for you in its regard. I have a 1987 222 Offshore, myself. It's mostly solid but has a spot on the floor where the first mate seat was mounted that is soft and needs a repair. I'm fine with doing this but I am looking for a bit of information prior to cutting into it. I only want to do this section and it seems sectioned off accordingly despite heading under the cap side a bit. I reviewed your awesome pics but I can't see exactly what I'm looking for. Is the floor section encapsulated wood (like it is over the fuel tank) whereas I can cut the top glass and peel / work it off, get the wood out and lay in a new piece - hopefully with supporting bottom glass? If you recall. I actually did this with the piece over the fuel tank and naturally, since that bolts in, that was easier.
Much appreciate your time!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Mr. Z,
Give me a day or 2 to confirm your question. I do think it laid on some bulkheads and close to the gas tank.
I have another 6-12 inches of snow smacking at me as I send this em.
I really like the design of this boat. Any pics?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Z,
It is 3/4" /5/8" ply decking. Post seat bottom was real close to the holding tank, just off lid. You basically should be able to use a 3" hole saw where the seat post sat on deck. Make a hole and see what to do next. Let me know how you make out. you will be close to the fuel cell bulkead and it should also be filled w/foam. Ya gotta start somewhere.