Rehab SportCraft 222 1983 deep V hull cuddy walkaround

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Just gonna stick with it and treat it as needed as the Sun pounds away at it. I used a teak oil to recover it and It just keeps getting richer as it sits in my office. Don't like the idea of sealing it and having to grind it out when the varnish fails. Just baby it. Cover it when I'm not on her.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
The teak is sitting up here in my office next to me and it sure does look sweet.!! as I look at it now.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hey WOG....you might find this funny. My first 50' roll of glass I ordered was supposed to be 1708 biax with backing. Showed up as 17oz. biax, no backing but I used it anyway cause I'm such a newb. lol. been using it in combination the last few days with the other stuff. Just thought you might get a chuckle out of it.
On another note I don't like the way it doesn't stay in place. The Biax with the backing has the ridgity to stand straight up until I wet it out. But so what....Next year there will be a whole nother pc of fiberglass that does it all. lol.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
When working with Biax and Epoxy you might try This. Roll the substrate with epoxy and let it tack up. Lay the fabric on the substrate and tape one edge of it using masking tape to hold it in place. Then Pour the epoxy on the fabric. Use a bondo spreader or plastic putty knife to squeegee the resin across the surface of the fabric to wet it out. You might be surprised at how well this works especially on horizontal flat surfaces. Taping the top edge of vertical surfaces works well too. You can cut the taped edge off later when the epoxy just begins to tack up.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
When working with Biax and Epoxy you might try This. Roll the substrate with epoxy and let it tack up. Lay the fabric on the substrate and tape one edge of it using masking tape to hold it in place. Then Pour the epoxy on the fabric. Use a bondo spreader or plastic putty knife to squeegee the resin across the surface of the fabric to wet it out. You might be surprised at how well this works especially on horizontal flat surfaces. Taping the top edge of vertical surfaces works well too. You can cut the taped edge off later when the epoxy just begins to tack up.

I have just the perfect spot to do that on today.

zool

Captain

zool

Captain
On another note I don't like the way it doesn't stay in place. The Biax with the backing has the ridgity to stand straight up until I wet it out. But so what....Next year there will be a whole nother pc of fiberglass that does it all. lol.

Hey KC, For the stringers,I try to run both lams to the top, so I use plastic clamps to hold the corners, then remove and wet that area last. On bulkheads, I use push pins to hold the top corners, if its not to resin coated....hope this helps ;)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Umm, wrong again Jig...im using 17oz 45 deg biax and 8.9oz eglass.....but feel free to use and recommend 1708 if you want (ill refer you to the second line of your sig this time)....and thanks for stopping by my thread, just be more accurate when promoting it ;)

Zool, thanks for the feedback. It all helps. Like your ideas to holding up the glass. There are spots that get a little tricky to manuver about. Where do I send your rolalty checks for promotions? :D
Got quite a bit done over the last few days. I have to put up some pics later today.
Tx, again.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well, ran into pic problems. my ip4 picswon't go into my xp...everyone knows that, right>>>...Another load of tech stuff. So I took out the camera with a camera card{remember them} and took some shots today then went to photobucket. Hope theses load.
Primary work is up front under the cuddy. Tough spot. Two stringers furthest to left and right had to be cut open for me to access and be able to; fillet and glass.
PICT0007_zpsb5442b1a.jpg
left side
PICT0010_zpsc0b8d46c.jpg
b

Then here is one of both sides. After that the next bulk head is for the gas tank area coming up soon. The center area above gets a well I saved. Two more stringers go in between the chopped up ones and the well area. Bulkheads are cut out but each area is in a sense a process so that I can later install bulkheads after all stringers are tabbed in and cleaned up.
I did use Wog's and Zool's ideas to hang up the sheets of glass but those pics are on my phone. Thanks for the ideas guys, it worked fine.
There will be 4 areas that need butt blocks after completion. left and right stringers where I made work access and the center two where the wood came up short to the main bulkhead. I think those need to be @ 6" both sides overlapping, then fillet and glassed again and of course pb.

The rear workshop;
PICT0011_zps091850ca.jpg

More pics...I have to take my son out to the store...Then back into boat.;
PICT0009_zps9b4c510c.jpg
PICT0007_zpsb5442b1a.jpg
PICT0001_zpsf74319ac.jpg
PICT0003_zpse0c1eadc.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
here's what that area looked like pre-renovation/demo;

Note; factory drain hose is pinched closed;
PICT0043_zpsa5044ae2.jpg~c200
PICT0040_zps0c4fd233.jpg~c200

PICT0038.JPG PICT0031.JPG PICT0022.JPG

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Went back at it. Nice hot day under the tarp; Worked the stringer on port side, lots of crawiling. Wetted out with 2 runs on both sides then cleaned up. Rains a coming and I have to tend to my Nice Slow Cooking Beef Stoganoff I started from this morning.
I need to make a Keel any Ideas?
PICT0014_zps0c885b37.jpg

PICT0012_zps8caac5b6.jpg

PICT0013_zps7c6efac9.jpg~c200
PICT0015_zps4e5f4658.jpg

PICT0016_zpsddab921e.jpg

PICT0016_zpsddab921e.jpg

Cleaned up shop for the day.

Hope Everyone is having a Great Holiday Weekend!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Here's something to know about. I had some epoxy stuck on my arm and the mosquitoes were attacking me. Sprayed off with Cutter Deep woods and what do you know...
it cut and removed the epoxy right off me. Sprayed myself again and a rag and it just slicked right off. Like acetone, but nicer smell somewhat but a quick remedy to getting glues off. Just fyi.

So who's gonna do the chemical comparison. Not me too tired been working on this boat 7 days straight.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
So..............I had a DREAM....So Close but So Far to completion.
PICT0001_zps4bb83a80.jpg~c200

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Wow that is a lot of work under that cuddy...and outside too. It's looking real good kcassells, you're gonna have a whole new boat.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Wow that is a lot of work under that cuddy...and outside too. It's looking real good kcassells, you're gonna have a whole new boat.

Thanks for the feedback JC55. I love that pilot house on your boat. That is in the winds for this boat. First got to get her to float. I've had a lot of great help here form everyone at IBoats!

Fitted in the front bulkheads yesterday. Got a little more goofing to do with them then fillets, then glass then the next fun part is to sister up the stringers I chopped up for structural integrity. Do it once, do twice.
Tx again.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
So I always think to the later rather than what I am doin. brcuse that is the past and I address it as I need properly. Yup I'll sister up the stringers I chopped up. So the work is twice but the strength is better. Look at how the mfg chopped the crap out of the stringers to fit in the two side wells. I don't think I can do that. And feel good about recon. So I'll prob. make the new well in the spaces provided with the new stringers in place. May even forget the other well in the sole that I saved and fabricate that also.

Stringer went from 8" to nothing and when I exposed it there was nothing but some ass lap of roven woven sitting underneath it that "attached it to the stringer and bottom of well." Most of the roven wasn't even wetted out.

PICT0020.JPG PICT0016.JPG
;

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well went and did it again. Most of the work under the cuddy sucked up my glass and 5 gals of epoxy. Just placed another order of 1708 NO MATT BACKING and 5 gals epox and cabisilly. I'm gonna get this rear done and deck done/ready ifin it kills me!
Still need to prep the TANK area then determine exactly how I want to procedd with the tank and size based upon frame out etc. Still have time to kick some Arse!

Six Pack muscles pic; I know, been there done that;,
9b1bf9ba-0ed6-40ba-81ed-03c2764ee356_zpsdb678110.jpg
PICT0011_zpsc6ebcbd1.jpg~c200
Whhh
PICT0017_zps3417a1b6.jpg~c200
un
PICT0005_zps7c65f253.jpg~c200
PICT0018_zpsfc1de031.jpg~c200

Pics aren't in order but you can get it. Totally pittet gas tank, went in for repair but didn't make the grade. There was a deck under the tanl that allowed for drainage. Every pc was mud or mush.

PICT0043_zpsa5044ae2.jpg~c200

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I meant to say that the tank was pitted beyond repair..........on all sides.