New to forum, working on getting an aluminum resto project for first boat

highsider989

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello All:

I must say this is the best forum. I'm a former motorcycle mechanic whose always enjoyed boating on my friends boats. I started reading the resto threads and have seen the sun rise more than a few times as I follow you guys through your projects. One thing was clear to me, I'm not a fan of fiberglass, it's itchy. I can't imagine hours of grinding. Secondly, I'm looking forward to your knowledgeable advise when I find my self lacking know how. I see that some folks are able to get some very cool vintage boats into great shape. I hope I can amuse a few of you with my first build thread.

So I've been talking to a CL seller about an old aluminum boat I saw on an ad. Its a haul, about four hours away from the DC area but I'm willing to travel and risk a few Benjamins on this one. I think it could be just the right project. Its a smaller vintage, aluminum and has an outboard that ran two years ago. :confused: So if it all works out I should be starting my build thread in a week or so. I'm selling a motorcycle to fund the project. My goals are to have a nice, fun, safe, reliable boat to enjoy on the Potomac and Lake Anna. I know this is not my forever boat, I'll be keeping my eyes open for an 18 to 22 foot aluminum bow rider. I know I'll need another and depending how this project goes will determine how much work I commit to on the next one. So, I've set my budget very low, I'm just getting my feet wet, pun intended.

I look forward to talking with some of you on my build thread soon.

Wish me luck.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: New to forum, working on getting an aluminum resto project for first boat

Sow how about a clue as to what you're looking at and welcone to the club!

Size, type, engine, trailer? Pictures!

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome, and tell us what you are looking at.

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome. Pics and numbers and info. This is a great place with knowledgeable people, Shoot I'll even help if I can.

highsider989

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Lets Just say it's a runabout, I'm starting small, first boat as you know. It's a secret because it's still for sale although I did get confirmation from the seller that he would hold it for me till the weekend. The boat has a title but the trailer does not, his state did not require one as it is an old but solid trailer, i hope. So pictures after I have it in my garage, I promise.

A long drive is in my future this week.

The boat was used a few years ago, the family needs a bigger boat. The boat needs a new interior, the current one is rough but the owner said he replaced the floor a few years ago, after reading the build threads, I'm deconstructing the boat anyway, i want to know exactly whats keeping me from sinking into a river or lake. Most if the original parts are with the boat, the motor appears to be the original motor, I'll be asking for help finding parts for this, It a non runner, with good compression and a bad starter, he says. I looked up the starter, OUCH!

I'll wait and see, often id have bikes brought to me with strange issues that were easy to fix, I can only hope this will be the case.

The hull looks ok but has an awful paint job. and is dirty. I'll keep y'all informed as I know I'll need your help.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I'll be watching with interest.

Last summer I drove 6 hours to pick up an outboard engine that was in great shape and one that is very hard to find in my area. Was worth the trip!!!

BonairII

Commander

If seller is going to "hold" it for you then post some pics....and info about the boat. Maybe we can talk you into(or out of) buying it.

If you have your sights set on a larger size boat.....might be prudent to save your cash til you can what you want.

Even with tin boats.....the money/time involved with a "simple" resto can add up in a hurry!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Most if the original parts are with the boat, the motor appears to be the original motor, I'll be asking for help finding parts for this, It a non runner, with good compression and a bad starter, he says. I looked up the starter, OUCH!

Tells me it's likely a vintage Mercury OB

Just so you know, the tin boat junkies (YOU ALL KNOW WHO YOU ARE) are already banging away on CL looking for the boat & seller situation you describe, in ANY location w/in 3-5hrs of Alexandria, so your secret may not stay that way long.

The good news is, to the best of my knowledge, in over 2.5yrs, no one has ever swiped any boat that was a pending purchase or lets go look at it boat when posted when someone asked for advice. Tin or fiberglass.

It is MUCH more often the other way. The tin traders amongst us have a pretty strong BS meter for ads & info from sellers. And an extremely keen eye when viewing limited pix. If you can't trust a bunch of tin nut strangers online, who can you trust?

I mean come on, they've even got their own smiley: :tinfoil3:

:grouphug:

If you don't want to post a link to the ad, post some pix of the boat. The tin fella's around this joint will steer you in the right direction, and at the very least make some suggestions for pointing out stuff that'll help w/ price negotiations. Possibly even notice something critical that wouldn't have even been something that you'd have even noticed.

Just 1 man's opinion ^^^ :watermelon: Good luck.

BTW: I'd want as much info as possible, from any source possible, before a 4hr (1way) drive to look at a boat. Esp not having seen the trailer hubs, axles & suspension before hand. You'll have to be prepared to make it road worthy, because I suspect you won't be leaving it w/ the seller to pick up at a later date.

No offense to anyone, but you don't want to buy a project boat & once you get it home, find this:
attachment.php

Do you know what this ^^^ looks like buried under hull paint or hidden up under a splashwell? The new owner of this boat wishes they had known.... Again, apologies to its current owner.

highsider989

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok Jbcurt00, so here you go, I hope you are a man of your word.:)

1965 Sea Scout w/ trailer ( MERC 50HP motor needs minor work)

I've talked to the seller further, I'm sure that the Mercury 50, good call, needs coils, plugs, wires, starter and a carb clean.:eek: The motor is supposed to have good compression, but if the motor quit, how did he get compression numbers? The steering cables need to be replaced as well. He did buy another boat, this one is small. The boat has a coating or paint under it that i asked about, the owner said he got it that way. I'd love some experienced eyes on it. I agreed to 300 bucks. I figure if the hull isn't awful it could be worth it. Am I out of my mind thinking I can get the mercury going? I'm good with motors and electrical systems. The add says the runners need to be replaced but the crestliners have aluminum stringers right?

The trailer was used regularly on hour long trips till the motor quit starting.

As space is limited and I plan on mostly fresh water boating on the Potomac I think a 14 footer would be fun to start with. I have to admit I'm now hooked on the vintage look and aluminum boats. They are "pure" some how. Mostly my GF and I would be out with Roxy the dog.

My perfect boat would be an 18-23 foot bow rider for skiing and cruising. I'm partial to outboards but I cant tell you why.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

For the money you found a deal! Should clean up nicely. a great place to start and learn. Good going.

jbcurt00

Staff member

If the trailer tows, go bring it home.............

Nothing else to be said about a $300 aluminum boat, trailer & motor......

jbcurt00

Staff member

Oops, forgot, the wood runners that need to be replaced are the bunks on the trailer.

highsider989

Petty Officer 3rd Class

For the money you found a deal! Should clean up nicely. a great place to start and learn. Good going.

That what I thought, The motor repair will be big buck it seems. The hull is my pure labor, I've got lots of that.

If the trailer tows, go bring it home.............

Nothing else to be said about a $300 aluminum boat, trailer & motor......

LOL, I like the way you think. I'll be cussing some time though the build if the trailer makes it home.

Ok the bunks on the trailer, that's easy, use pressure treated lumber correct?:lol:

highsider989

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What do I look for specificity to detect that kind of corrosion on the hull? I'm anxious to see the underside and inspect the transom.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No pressure treated wood anywhere near an aluminum boat. I'm also thinking the trailing arm on the trailer is bent.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I don't think you are going to run into those kind of problems, hull looks pretty sound. maybe a bit dirty and full of clutter but it looks pretty srtaight. Not a lot of holes to fill. Pull the enfine and check the wood in the transom 1st. Clean'r out and add a couple inches of water and look for leaky rivets next.

excuse the spelling. hurt pack a few day ago anf not typing very well.

Last edited:

highsider989

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No pressure treated wood anywhere near an aluminum boat. I'm also thinking the trailing arm on the trailer is bent.

I know! I was kidding about that. I thought the trailing arm looked a bit funky, I hope the other side matches

I don't think you are going to run into those kind of problems, hull looks pretty sound. maybe a bit dirty and full of clutter but it looks pretty srtaight. Not a lot of holes to fill. Pull the enfine and check the wood in the transom 1st. Clean'r out and add a couple inches of water and look for leaky rivets next.

exquse the spelling. hurt pack a few dat ago anf not typing very well.

Good, thanks. The Crestilners are welded, correct, how many rivets can I expect?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

See what good drugs will do for ya!!! need to take some more and then to bed, any way I think you did very well!!!
The only thing I see going against it is that old Merc. they can be hard to find electrical parts for,

jbcurt00

Staff member

Good catch, I missed it. You can just about see the other side's trailing arm, and it looks straight. Backed in too deep at the ramp & dropped the port tire off the end of the concrete:

00O0O_f8N867epf4G_600x450.jpg

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like a cool project. Good luck. The trailer is gonna be your question mark. 4hrs on the road and what looks like bent arm could erase tires in short order. Maybe rig a bottle jack between frame and arm to try to tenderly straighten arm some before hitting the road, If the tires/bearings look like they will make it. Be safe.