Steering cable repair on glastron cvx

Lk40hp

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Long story:
I recently bought a 1985 glastron cvx17 without a motor. I had a plate made for it and put a 1990 evinrude xp150 on it. All controls are in, and I completely rewired the whole boat. Now, I'm down to one last thing... the steering cable.... it is the old style where the cable doesn't go though the center of the motor, just comes right out the hole and bolts to the motor. ( the large nut on the cable is on the inside of the boat, not up against the motor.) Anyways it was froze when I got it, and with some oil I got it to the point of turning, but it takes a lot of force to turn it. I think If I can get it out I can oil it down to where its smooth enough. Regardless it needs to come out... I had a 1978 cvx16, and it was the same style cable, so it must be fairly universal through the glastron.

Short story : I need it out and don't know how to get it out...

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Steering cable repair on glastron cvx

Long story:
I recently bought a 1985 glastron cvx17 without a motor. I had a plate made for it and put a 1990 evinrude xp150 on it. All controls are in, and I completely rewired the whole boat. Now, I'm down to one last thing... the steering cable.... it is the old style where the cable doesn't go though the center of the motor, just comes right out the hole and bolts to the motor. ( the large nut on the cable is on the inside of the boat, not up against the motor.) Anyways it was froze when I got it, and with some oil I got it to the point of turning, but it takes a lot of force to turn it. I think If I can get it out I can oil it down to where its smooth enough. Regardless it needs to come out... I had a 1978 cvx16, and it was the same style cable, so it must be fairly universal through the glastron.

Short story : I need it out and don't know how to get it out...

Ayuh,.... It's Junk, 'n needs Replacin',...

Unbolt all the hardware at the transom,...
Loosen the nut in the center of the steerin' wheel, 'n turn it out flush with the end of the shaft,...
Sit in the seat, put yer knees under the wheel, 'n Push Off, as hard as ya can, then WACK the nut with a BFHammer,....
The wheel will pop off the taper, remove the nut, then the wheel,...
Unbolt the helm from the dash,...
Fish out the helm, 'n cable, Outa the boat,...

Buy a New helm, 'n cable Kit, 'n reinstall,....

There's No reason not to use the tilt tube on yer motor,...
That's works better than the remote transom mount, which is usually only used on motors without a tilt tube,...

Lk40hp

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Steering cable repair on glastron cvx

Alright, I got the cable out later last night. I will start scouting around for a new cable!