Just bought an '89 Starcraft Mariner 160 and floor needs replacing someday

FISHINCHICK

Cadet
I've been looking for a center console that I could afford for awhile, and I found this '89 StarCraft Mariner 160 with a Johnson 48sp and a Li'l Rider trailer. The floor has a couple spots that are a little spongy. I knew it before I bought the boat. I told my brother I'd have to replace the floor within the next year or so. He said it'd be easy. After reading about other folks' experience, it looks like it may not be so easy. I think it would be pretty expensive to have someone do it for me. Does anyone know if all these boats have poured foam? I'm gonna fish with it this year and decide if I wanna keep it. It's a little smaller and older than I had been looking for, but it might do. After all, I'm getting a little older, and this boat will be even easier to dock and trailer by myself than my Glassmaster. I've heard how smooth riding these Mariners are, and they don't seem to stay long in the "for sale" ads. I joined this forum, because I've read it in the past and found lots of good information on here. Does anyone else have one of these little Mariners? Or does anyone know much about them?

Attachments

• 00r0r_1micS9Sv7T4_600x450.jpg
    00r0r_1micS9Sv7T4_600x450.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Just bought an '89 Starcraft Mariner 160 and floor needs replacing someday

Nice looking Mariner, FC. :welcome: aboard.

It depends on which thread(s) you looked at, some are resurrections and others are floor out/floor in. It really isn't hard to replace them in any of the Starcraft aluminum boats. Transom might be a little trickier if you need to replace it, but still not all that hard. You have a better starting place than many of us. The trailer looks good, the hull is still nice and shiny so maybe some new wood after you use the boat this summer and that's all she'll need.

Got some interior pictures? Stick around and have fun!

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class

Beautiful boat you have there. Replacing the floor is going to be quite a job for sure, but very doable. You have found the best StarCraft support group on the planet here so help and guidance is readily at hand. It could be poured foam or the white blocks of the pebbely stuff. My StarCraft is a 77 and I had the white stuff. I'm sure one of the other members with more knowledge of the newer ones will be along here shortly. Welcome to the sight and the madness.

FISHINCHICK

Cadet

Thanks, GA. I'm hoping it's just floor in/floor out. The boat seems to be in pretty good shape otherwise.

Thanks to you, too, Old Islander. The interior has some mildew....but if you really want interior pictures, I'll try to take some today....with mildew.

Allegedly, the first owner kept it in a garage, covered. The second owner kept it outside with the same canvas cover. I think that canvas was good for keeping the sun off, but it lets water in during heavy or lengthy rains and doesn't allow it to dry inside. I need to find something that's really good for removing mildew that won't damage or discolor.

GA_Boater

If all we see is mildew, that's a plus. We see the the ones full of leaves and gaping holes in the floor and worse, so just mildew would be a pleasure. :smile:

I got a silver tarp from either Harbor Freight or Northern Tool. Cheap and for the first time the boat was 100% dry after unwrapping this Spring. I covered her, but it still had a lot of breathabilty so there was no mildew. I got tired of official boat covers that flat don't work, except to keep the sun off of her. Is it humid there in SE DE?

FISHINCHICK

Cadet

Southern Delaware is part of the Delmarva Peninsula....Chesapeake Bay to the West, Atlantic Ocean to the Southeast, and Delaware Bay to the Northeast.....it's definitely humid here.

There was no "leaf build-up" or blockage in the drain. It has been used and not left to sit. I live near Harbor Freight, and I need to get some silver tarps for my firewood stacks. I'll add one for the boat to the list.

This boat has a live well under the seat in front of the console. I've never had a live well before... just a minnow bucket on a rope. Anyway, this live well has a pipe that runs back to the stern with a plug. I don't know if this is typical or not. I think the pump for the live well is the only thing on this boat that doesn't work.:pray2: (I'm hoping.) I think the pump for that should be at the stern, but I can't see it. Anybody know anything about these?

Fishin is really pickin up here. Lookin forward to getting this little boat in the water.

:fish2:

jbcurt00

Staff member

To improve the tarps protection of the boat from the weather you can make a support frame to 'tent' the boat so there's no place for water or snow to collect.

I used gray electrical conduit instead of plumbing Sch40 PVC, it's UV resistant & cheaper then the same size Sch40. The Sch40 fittings fork w/ it, but buy it in the contractor bags, you'll need quite a few couplers, Tee's & elbows. Cut & fit to your boat kind of like this:
boatcoversupport_zpsdde82787.png

I put a sweep end on each end of the frame, one hooks over the windshield & the other rests on top of the OB. You'll need to tailor it to a center console style hull.

Welcome to iboats dry dock, tin division.

GA_Boater

With a center console and a stiff silver tarp like I'm talking about, no need for all that framing. Over the windshield and tie it taut to the trailer and no rain or snow will puddle. Get a larger one than you think, I got one like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/11-ft-...-all-purposeweather-resistant-tarp-69256.html and it covers from the bow to and including all but the prop on the motor. I tie to the winch post and pull it tight and tie over the motor and then pull it tight on the sides and tie off on the trailer. As long as the tarp is taut and no sags, it works for me.

The live well is going to have some fill and drain piping. I think some do it with a single through hull and and others use two separate through hulls. I'm not sure how your Mariner is set up.

FISHINCHICK

Cadet

Here are some pictures I said earlier I'd take of the interior.

Attachments

• 20140420_164252.jpg
    20140420_164252.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20140420_164354.jpg
    20140420_164354.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20140420_164430.jpg
    20140420_164430.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20130725_175048.jpg
    20130725_175048.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 2
  • 20140420_164316.jpg
    20140420_164316.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

GA_Boater

No leaves, no holes in the floor and no trees growing the middle - She's pretty clean looking. Nice boat! The mildew isn't bad, it should clean up.

FISHINCHICK

Cadet

Thanks. I think I can get my money back out of it if I decide not to keep it.

FISHINCHICK

Cadet
I have gotten about all I'm willing to get out of the floor in my boat. I'm going to replace it before I start fishing this year. The center console and seat boxes are only attached with lags, and they are ripping out of the box the captains seat sits on.

Does anyone know if the poured foam in these Starcrafts helps with structural soundness? I don't abuse it, but this boat can take a bit of a beating in some of our bays, especially the Delaware Bay. I'm going to run some additional chases for stereo speakers, lights, and a dual battery system, since I do use the boat in the dark sometimes. I'm wondering if I should just replace the fuel tank while I'm in there, considering the age of the boat. I don't want to ever have to pull the floor up again on this boat. Also, should I use epoxy and/or Gluvit for the new wood? I'm planning to use 5/8". I don't think it will add that much more weight. Does anyone ever use stainless screws for the flooring, or should I definitely use rivets?

This has been a great little boat... not exactly what I was looking for... but I got a good deal on it, and after having it for a couple years now I'm definitely going to keep it. It has impressed me and everyone that has fished in it with its smooth ride and ability to take on higher seas than I expected for an aluminum boat.

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I think you bit off more than you can chew, just sign the title, put it in the glovebox and I'll come and get it off your hands.:D​ Nice looking boat!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
No, Absolutely not. I was messing with you. That boat is a great boat for fixing up. Heck mine's an 1985 glass boat, and I was foolish enough to rebuild it, a lot m ore work than I figured. But a fun project.

FISHINCHICK

Cadet
Good. I can't afford to pay somebody to do it. I'm hoping it'll be a little easier than fiberglass. Trying to gather most of my materials now.