14' Fiberglass Boat - Cleaning up fisnish

afaust

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. I was given a boat by a buddy of mine, and I want to do a minor cleaning to its finish. From the looks of it it is a 80's St-Maurice, 14' fiberglass boat. My buddy says it could use a paint job, although in pics it doesn't look too bad. The glass is ok, and I'm used to older cars, which brings me to a question. I know that I can get a good restoration on it just by cleaning, buffing and waxing (same way you can with an older car), but having never worked on a glass boat, it brings me to a multi part question. In my search on the forum, I didn't find the answer I'm looking for.
If I want to restore the finish, what can I use to clean it, then what kind of compound can I use to buff it up, and what wax would you suggest to bring out the lustre? Any other suggestions? I know a tire paint job can sparkle with a car, but can I do the same with a glass boat?

I thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

Allan

MikDee

Banned
Re: 14' Fiberglass Boat - Cleaning up fisnish

Vaseline, does it all! Cleans, penetrates, & shines, to rival anything else, with the least amount of work! Apply liberally with your fingers, then let sit (especially in the heat if you can?) then when it looks dry, just wipe it off (I use paper towels, but whatever). If it needs more (heavy oxidation?) just re-apply till you're satisfied,,, When waxing or polishing over this for extra durability, make sure it looks dry, if not then it's not done penetrating, & restoring the finish completely. By the way, this works just as good on deck fittings, aluminum windshield frames, & upholstery! (I used it on my purple jetski seat, it came out like new, & stayed that way thru a few seasons until I sold the ski!) You can imagine how wet that seat got too!,,,lol

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

What kind of finish does it have? gel-coat or paint? If you can post a few close up pictures and a few far back, you will get all kinds of good advice on how to being it back from the dull faded look many boats can become.
I can't agree with using Vaseline, if this worked I think everyone would already be doing it. It may offer short term shine but it is not what is recommended to restore most boat finishes. Maybe try it out and see for yourself how well it does work.

Most gel-coated boats require sanding at very fine grades, but others will share the best application for your situation. My tin boat is painted, so that's all together different!

MikDee

Banned

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestions. At the moment, all I have is this photo (the snow finally melted) and its stuck back in my buddies yard. Once it gets here, I'll take better closeups etc.

Allan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123443181@N04/13892864746/

The link doesn't work? It just takes you to the home page.

Vaseline is not a temporary, or short term fix! :rolleyes:

Once it's applied, and gets, & looks dry, it has done it's job, just wipe all the dirt, & chalk, off. If it's not restored completely, do it again, until it's back to factory color, & shine. Then once it's dry, & the excess removed, follow up with the wax, or polish of your choice, as you would after using rubbing compound, and it will last as long as any other finishing process!

You don't have to Caveman it with polishers, buffers, sandpaper, comet, etc. All you hafta do is just feed the porous finish with what it needs, back to it's original color, & shine.

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class

One can only imagine what goes through the mind of the cashier when a man shows up at her checkout line with 16 tubs of vaseline and a big grin on his face.........:eek:

Last edited: