Repairing a very broken free canoe

Markesmongu

Recruit
I found this boat on Craigslist being given away for free. It is very very damaged, and I am hoping to return it to a useable condition. I know it will never look pretty, but I am hoping I can get it in a good enough condition to take some long river trips and not worry too much about it being destroyed.

I have no idea where to begin with this. I greatly appreciate any advice anyone can give me. Right now my only idea is to literally beat the gunwales back into shape with a mallet or something. I am a college student and do not have the money to order new gunwales, but I would consider replacing them with homemade wooden ones if that is even possible.

So what do you guys think? Is this possible?
Any advice is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Repairing a very broken free canoe

Sooo, is she ALL aluminum or just the rails?

Markesmongu

Recruit

I have yet to see it in person, but it looks like aluminum rails with either plastic or fiberglass hull. Judging by the lack of holes and other cracking damage, I would guess it's probably not fiberglass
Here's another picture:
http://imgur.com/a/clABE

Last edited:

Ned L

Commander

It looks to be Polyethylene. Not much you can do with that part of it so I would agree with your assesment. (Beat the aluminum pieces back into some sort of shape and enjoy it!)

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Appears to be an ole Coleman aluminum framed poly plastic canoe,...

You'll probably have better luck striaghtenin' the rails, OFF the canoe,....
Aluminum work hardens, so move/ bend it once, or as little as possible, or it'll crack, 'n break,...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

If you can get hold of a piece of wood and some C-Clamps you can carefully try to bend the gunwales back into shape...

Get a rubber mallet to help "beat" the gunwale into submission...
Good luck and be sure to let us know how you make out...Nooooo, not with the opposite sex, with the canoe!:laugh:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, that's why I asked. I'm thinkin aluminum rails and plastic hull. As stated you want to "Move" the aluminum the minimal amount so to do so, I'd attempt to fabricate some "Forms" out of wood and then use clamps to pull the aluminum into the shape of the forms. Or like you say, you could use some White Oak and make some "Spiffy" gunwales and make a "WoodOnGlass" canoe. Hey, I like that Idea!!!;):D:lol:

Last edited: