Vinyl Trim Boards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl Trim Boards

I've also included redoing some of the vinyl trim pieces that weren't holding up to the sides while I redo some gouges you guys are helping me with....
    Click image for larger version

Name:	vinyl siding whole piece.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	7195209
    I removed the staples and removed the vinyl....

Name:	LH vinyl boards.jpg
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	7195210
    my question is what kind of wood was used... it seemed to have a thin layer.. almost like cardboard on it..

grr pic loader stop working...

Re: Vinyl Trim Boards

Name:	wood2.jpg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	7104200

Comment

To replace that wood I would suggest thin exterior plywood and paint it with two coats of an oil based paint. Get an electric staple gun and some monel staples and put it back together. I bought an electric stapler after replacing the wood structure on a captains chair with a regular one and the electric makes easy work of it. The monel staples will last longer and are alleged to be rust proof which will prevent staining in the future.
      This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
      Please, shop iboats first!!

Comment

Where does everyone go for their vinyl..? What about the foam?

Comment

If you have any kind of compressor I'd recommend a pneumatic stapler. They're much better than electric and just as cheap. Harbor Freight sellse em..20 Gauge Wide Crown Stapler
          I get all my vinyl from here...TORTUGA GRAY PREMIUM MARINE VINYL BY THE YARD items in Trimjobber Canvas Vinyl and Fabric store on eBay!
          Last edited by Woodonglass; March 22nd, 2014, 08:54 PM.
          1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
          Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
          Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint...Say What!!!

Comment

Well I cut the boards...

Here's some old board vs new boards...

Name:	old and new board.jpg
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	7104469

Name:	old and new board 2.jpg
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	7104470

Comment

Just need to trim some spots to align a bit better... then I'm going to go get the oil based paint... here's it someone assembled to see how I was doing...

Name:	trim with new boards 2.jpg
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	7104471

Comment

I found some deck waterproofer... will that work or should i still get the oil paint?

Comment

Deck Waterproofer??? You mean like Thompsons WaterSeal? If so...That's stuff is NO Good! the Oil Paint would be much better. Or you make your own really good sealer by mixing 2 cups Boiled Linseed Oil 4 cups Mineral Spirits and 2 cups of Marine Varnish. Mix well and apply liberally 2 coats. 24 hours between coats. That's what the Old Wood Boat builders used to seal the wood on their boats.

Comment

Originally posted by Raschoony View Post
                    Where does everyone go for their vinyl..? What about the foam?
                    I get mine from Marine Vinyl Boat Upholstery. note do not buy their staples they fit a professional machine go to Home Depot/Lowes and get the t50 stainless for a 'normal' staple gun. They might have it here on iBoats as well.

If on a budget I've read here where people pick of free old couches and tear apart to use that foam.
                    1979 Carver Montego 2357 | 260 Mercruiser upgraded to Alpha | 2006 Nissan 15hp kicker

Girls cry and boys fart in front of friends, but girls fart and boys cry in front of true friends.

Comment

Ok another question.... the hardware...

Looks like the old hardware is going to need to be replaced... but I got to thinking.....
                      Is there a better setup then the old one using just a bolt and nut.... in theory when I tighten the nut the bolt will spin... or will a lockwasher fully prevent this (I feel it would still turn a bit...)

I'm thinking like a bolt with some teeth to grab on the wood or something... but lowes has nothing...

Comment

T-nuts, stainless steel ones...with matching SS bolts...
                        Why a Fiberglass Boat?...Because they are,"The more beautiful, more seaworthy, more elegant, more easier to get chicks in, nicer, more common, more socially accepted, more politically correct boats."Quote by oops!
                        Tight Lines and Float, Float On!
                        Notice: All links to previous photos have been kidnapped by Photobucket.
                        They no longer allow 3rd party hosting unless you fork over $400
                        If you need to see any photos from my thread, PM me

Comment

would it be a good idea to put in a bushing where it goes through the fiberglass... I have a 2 inch hole where the old 1/4 bolts went through... looked like the bolts rubbed the fiberglass down....

Comment

Pics please!!

Comment

You got it.... I got the family morning routine going... then I'll head outside....

Comment

Working...
                              X