Vinyl Trim Boards

Raschoony

Seaman
I've also included redoing some of the vinyl trim pieces that weren't holding up to the sides while I redo some gouges you guys are helping me with....
vinyl siding whole piece.jpg
I removed the staples and removed the vinyl....
LH vinyl boards.jpg
my question is what kind of wood was used... it seemed to have a thin layer.. almost like cardboard on it..

grr pic loader stop working...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Vinyl Trim Boards

To replace that wood I would suggest thin exterior plywood and paint it with two coats of an oil based paint. Get an electric staple gun and some monel staples and put it back together. I bought an electric stapler after replacing the wood structure on a captains chair with a regular one and the electric makes easy work of it. The monel staples will last longer and are alleged to be rust proof which will prevent staining in the future.

Raschoony

Seaman

Where does everyone go for their vinyl..? What about the foam?

Raschoony

Seaman

Well I cut the boards...

Here's some old board vs new boards...
old and new board.jpg
old and new board 2.jpg

Raschoony

Seaman

Just need to trim some spots to align a bit better... then I'm going to go get the oil based paint... here's it someone assembled to see how I was doing...
trim with new boards 2.jpg

Raschoony

Seaman

I found some deck waterproofer... will that work or should i still get the oil paint?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Deck Waterproofer??? You mean like Thompsons WaterSeal? If so...That's stuff is NO Good! the Oil Paint would be much better. Or you make your own really good sealer by mixing 2 cups Boiled Linseed Oil 4 cups Mineral Spirits and 2 cups of Marine Varnish. Mix well and apply liberally 2 coats. 24 hours between coats. That's what the Old Wood Boat builders used to seal the wood on their boats.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Where does everyone go for their vinyl..? What about the foam?

I get mine from Marine Vinyl Boat Upholstery. note do not buy their staples they fit a professional machine go to Home Depot/Lowes and get the t50 stainless for a 'normal' staple gun. They might have it here on iBoats as well.

If on a budget I've read here where people pick of free old couches and tear apart to use that foam.

Raschoony

Seaman

Ok another question.... the hardware...

Looks like the old hardware is going to need to be replaced... but I got to thinking.....
Is there a better setup then the old one using just a bolt and nut.... in theory when I tighten the nut the bolt will spin... or will a lockwasher fully prevent this (I feel it would still turn a bit...)

I'm thinking like a bolt with some teeth to grab on the wood or something... but lowes has nothing...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

T-nuts, stainless steel ones...with matching SS bolts...

Raschoony

Seaman

would it be a good idea to put in a bushing where it goes through the fiberglass... I have a 2 inch hole where the old 1/4 bolts went through... looked like the bolts rubbed the fiberglass down....

Raschoony

Seaman

You got it.... I got the family morning routine going... then I'll head outside....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Ok another question.... the hardware...

Looks like the old hardware is going to need to be replaced... but I got to thinking.....
Is there a better setup then the old one using just a bolt and nut.... in theory when I tighten the nut the bolt will spin... or will a lockwasher fully prevent this (I feel it would still turn a bit...)

I'm thinking like a bolt with some teeth to grab on the wood or something... but lowes has nothing...

same link I posted above - I've used screws straight thru the face then you can get matching (or contrasting if you want) covers for the screws.

548-1-md.jpg

548-5-lg.jpg

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry I'm a bit late to this party, but just seen this thread. The panels in question seem remarkably like the passenger dash panels on a Sea Ray circa 89 or thereabouts. Mine is an 89 SR 180 BR and I had to remake mine. When I had stripped them down, I too wondered what the wood was. I ended up using 1/4" plywood sealed with poly resin.

What you will also find is the 2 panels are joined together on the corner and the vinyl is 1 piece. My solution was to use glass mat on the corners after first setting the panels up securely at the angle they should have been. Once the mat had cured, the 2 panels were one and the mat allowed the panels to flex at the corner. Re-upholstery was relatively straightforward and I followed the original SR covering using piping as well

My boat's original colors were 2 shades of Blue. I had to buy 2 new seats, which I got from Veada. I tried to match up the Blues as best I could. To keep the Blue match throughout the boat, I purchased my rolls of vinyl and piping from Veada, so all colors match. It's also worth noting that Veada sell regular vinyl and vinyl with a thin foam backing. You will need the vinyl with the foam backing for the dash panels. When I'd done both panels, they looked really nice.

On the fasteners, I have used SS Tee nuts and SS bolts, washers, etc throughout the boat. I found the absolute best price for Tee nuts and many bolts and screws to be Jamestown Distributors. They are old school and know their stuff. What I found most frustrating about the Sea Ray construction method on the tee nust throughout the boat, was that they appeared to use SS tee nuts, SS bolts and mild steel washers. The rusting washers wrecked all the tee nuts & bolts. Cheap skates!

Last edited:

Raschoony

Seaman

Ok, its still raining outside but dashed to the boat and jumped under the cover... (which I now realize is not protecting ANY water from coming in...) and got some pics...
trim position.jpg
vinyl  trim hole.jpg

Now on what redneck joe posted on the screw covers... I was hoping to do it how the old ones were on... where the bolts were on the trim and then the vinyl covering the trim so no hardware can be seen...

I am theorizing that if I put the bolt thru and a nut on the back end of the wood and tighten... then vinyl over and when I go to put it on the boat another washer and nut to hold on in place (With the hole big enough for the first nut to be countersunk into the fiberglass).... and the tightened bolt wont spin....

Raschoony

Seaman

What you will also find is the 2 panels are joined together on the corner and the vinyl is 1 piece. My solution was to use glass mat on the corners after first setting the panels up securely at the angle they should have been. Once the mat had cured, the 2 panels were one and the mat allowed the panels to flex at the corner. Re-upholstery was relatively straightforward and I followed the original SR covering using piping as well

I didnt even think of putting glass on the corner.. i was going to just throw 2 screws in it...... hmmm

Raschoony

Seaman

Also.... like an @$$ I posted the idea of the waterproofer.... and went ahead and did it before i read WoG had posted "NNOOO!!!" ugh...