1984 16.5' Sea Nymph Ski Sport Rebuild

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1984 16.5' Sea Nymph Ski Sport Rebuild

Will that plan ^^^ mean you'll need to move fuel & battery forward?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Will that plan ^^^ mean you'll need to move fuel & battery forward?

I'm hoping I can get a fuel tank up front like I had in my previous SN, I should be able to pull that off.

I know I can fit at least one batt under the splashwell, a second might be a little tight but I think I can swing it:thumb:

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

If you are going to use this boat for fishing, I think you are going to want to modify the rear to have a workable casting deck back there...

People (including your two boys) are going to make those two splash-well sides a "makeshift" deck for fishing off the back, which is a recipe for falling in... (and the water tends to be chilly up your way). See below pic where my buddy in the background is fishing (pre restore):

yes, the mod is a little tricky, but I think a convertible bench seat/casting deck (like you had in your other boat) is a PROVEN WINNER of a set up for you...

Just my .02...

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey PMC, thanks for chippen in man!

So, yah, if one of the boys fall in, I do believe they'll be cold and wet! No doubt I guide the boys to what they must/should/ought to do, but, I'm also a "natural consequences" kinda father:thumb:

You know, I'm glad you mentioned the stern bench/deck I built for the previous SN. Interesting thing happened after I spent all that time building out that totally awesome set up - I didn't really use it.

WHAAAAA?????

Yah, so check it out....

For the bench, I really didn't end up using it very much cuz we don't really cruise a whole lot as a family. We either fished or we tubed. For tubing I never had passengers sit at the bench as I need a clear view of my tuber and simple weight distribution up front ya know. So yah, awesome bench that didn't get used actually.

So for the stern casting deck, well, I found I didn't really use that very much either. I'm not a bass fisherman and instead troll for most of what I fish for. The rest of the time we are just still fishing or drifting. Well, yah, I guess I just didn't find that I was standing up on that stern deck very much at all really.

So yup, I spent a whole ton of time, effort, energy and a small chunk of money to build that stern side set up. It was pretty cool!:cool: Too bad I didn't use it or need it:facepalm: Hey, looked great on paper, seemed great in theory, not very useful in my world I suppose.

What does that mean for this new SN? Yup, just looking for simple deck space here:encouragement:

See, my skull isn't too horribly thick:eagerness:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Hey PMC, thanks for chippen in man!

So, yah, if one of the boys fall in, I do believe they'll be cold and wet! No doubt I guide the boys to what they must/should/ought to do, but, I'm also a "natural consequences" kinda father:thumb:

You know, I'm glad you mentioned the stern bench/deck I built for the previous SN. Interesting thing happened after I spent all that time building out that totally awesome set up - I didn't really use it.

WHAAAAA?????

Yah, so check it out....

For the bench, I really didn't end up using it very much cuz we don't really cruise a whole lot as a family. We either fished or we tubed. For tubing I never had passengers sit at the bench as I need a clear view of my tuber and simple weight distribution up front ya know. So yah, awesome bench that didn't get used actually.

So for the stern casting deck, well, I found I didn't really use that very much either. I'm not a bass fisherman and instead troll for most of what I fish for. The rest of the time we are just still fishing or drifting. Well, yah, I guess I just didn't find that I was standing up on that stern deck very much at all really.

So yup, I spent a whole ton of time, effort, energy and a small chunk of money to build that stern side set up. It was pretty cool!:cool: Too bad I didn't use it or need it:facepalm: Hey, looked great on paper, seemed great in theory, not very useful in my world I suppose.

What does that mean for this new SN? Yup, just looking for simple deck space here:encouragement:

See, my skull isn't too horribly thick:eagerness:

I'm totally preaching to the choir here, 'cause you've built a bunch of these and know all of their strengths, weaknesses, and inconveniences. But, I will say, as someone who's done a pretty limited amount of trolling with a full size splashwell, it really does limit mobility. Because I only use artificial lures, all I need is a cooler in the cockpit, but it's still tight. One other person really maxes out my 18'er for clearing lines and fighting fish. If you can make that thing smaller I think you might be happier with the setup. Mine's staying 'cause I cheaped out and used the OEM fuel tank that goes under there.

Mostly just chiming in to follow your progress, though. Cool rig, and I know it'll be way cooler when you're done!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Glad to see you are keeping busy!

Nice looking project there. Looks like a great walleye boat potentially.

You could easily get away with twin outboards with that nice big splashwell:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, we'll see how it hashes out eh chem. I'm in no rush, plenty of time before I have to get serious about the decision there.

Hey! It's the Huron Angler! Great to see ya buddy:becky:

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral

Real nice hull to start with Jason, I'm sure there are lots of plans rolling around in that head of yours!! A nice black ETEC 90 would look great on the transom EH. :D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What about your Dancing Career!!!

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

i really like that idea of sinking a livewell and/or cooler in to the splashwell!

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class

great looking wally boat! Taggin along for sure.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK, so I technically did a little work on this boat, it was beautiful day outside today!

So the other day Willy stopped by to trade me some salmon fillets for my tandem axle trailer left behind from the latest nasty glasser donor boat. Totally awesome, sea salt, fresh black pepper, butter, lemon....
IMAG0748.jpg

He also threw in a nice single axle trailer for nothing, sweet!!

So, I decided to swap out the trailer this SN came with for the bigger/beefier one that Willy gave me.

Now I carefully considered using the Dozer method of pulling the boat off the trailer. Bah, I went with the standard Keeper strap and two big forest products for the lift...
IMAG0749.jpg

That one will be up for sale here shortly ^^^.

And then loaded up on the new one...
IMAG0750.jpg

Nice big ride:thumb:

It looks a little awkward up there but I've got about 8" I can drop it down yet since it was originally set up for a big ol glasser.

Last edited:

Jeep Man

Commander

Following your lead on this one Jason. Many of the changes you plan on I will be doing to my Springbok project, albeit a 15.5 ft. Had considered a rear casting deck but space is an issue and I mulled over how much I would use it. Like you, I troll more than cast. Looking forward to the build.

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class

trailer is BEEF!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Yumm tasty salmon :hungry:

A successful trailer swap is always a huge accomplishment just ask Sig! I have one in my near future as well and hope it goes as smoothly as yours.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Hi fellas!

AOK, so, this Sea Nymph is next up for a rebuild. The goal is to have this done for spring fishing action. Ah, yah, that would actually be spring of 2017. This will be sort of a father/son project. Ryan and I have a spring trip planned in May so we are going to gut and rebuild this together, should be fun!

So, the rig got pulled from the woods and backed into the garage. First up is pulling everything off. After a few hours of fighting with rusted screws and bolts and whatnot, all the snaps, bow rails, fittings, consoles, whind shield, and all the other rigging stuff was off along with all the carpet peeled otta there...
20161212_103559.jpg

20161212_103527.jpg

I talked earlier about this back deck...
20161212_101649.jpg

I still haven't decided what I'd like to do with that. At this point I'm thinking I'll leave it all in place and cut hatches into them for storage. But first, I have to deal with this....
20161212_101713.jpg

Oh my gosh do I hate pour in foam.........

Ryan is learning to hate it too!
20161212_171037.jpg

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Dude!!

Nice to see yous working on it,...

Just my opinion here,.....I'd replace all the foam in transom area,...I here that is the stuff that keeps a boat floating,..

I know when I rebuilt a "tinny" years ago I was tempted to remove it for storage,...But I also knew I was gonna be fishing Lake Superior with that little boat and wanted every chance I could get if it went "sideways",....

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Yah, most of the flotation will be replaced, but not with the worthless pour in garbage:mad-new: