1984 16.5' Sea Nymph Ski Sport Rebuild

Pusher

Lieutenant
They were making those valets for aircraft back in 2009. Pretty slick deals.

Maybe you tinnies already do this, but could you make the ski locker removable to inspect for moisture "down-under"? Rivnuts would make removal pretty easy.

I know everyone in the fiberthreads say, do it right and you'll never have leaking issues, but the rivets are a different deal right?

My brother's Olympic had two small storage boxes in the rear transom like you are thinking. I really like that idea. He took the lid off replaced it with a teflon cutting board for cutting bait on.

Alternatively, could you mount a folding board spanning the transom area? When you aren't under way you can flip in out and stand for casting.

Nice looking setup. I'll climb aboard if you don't mind.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well with multiple boats and the need for moving them around, that price isn't absurd but how do you support the other boats when the valet isn't installed? I guess the old cinder block trick is an easy fix.

Pusher

Lieutenant
I have another stupid thought. Why aren't splashwells flipped facing towards the transom instead of the sky? So you would have a box facing the transom to catch rough waves. The skyward part would have a 5" slot between it and the transom.... And it would also be about 5" higher than the transom cap. Wouldn't it serve the same purpose, while adding storage in and under the "box"?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Pusher, idunno, you are going outside the box though!

So, interesting.....I stopped over to Menards today to pick up some boat building plywood and I noticed this....
20170115_090811.jpg

There's the Araoco plywood there, but then I notice...
20170115_090714.jpg

Hold the phone.......Menards stocks marine grade plywood? Right on the shelf? No kidding.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Wow.....great price? Is that sarcasm? Not sure as I can't get that in my area. Pretty sure I would still buy the BCX exterior grade plywood anyway. Call me Mr. Low Budget!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member
70 for 3/4in Marine is a great price, and like you, most cant even special order it, so 70 in stock on the shelf only makes the price better, in comparison.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Pusher, idunno, you are going outside the box though!

So, interesting.....I stopped over to Menards today to pick up some boat building plywood and I noticed this....
20170115_090811.jpg

There's the Araoco plywood there, but then I notice...
20170115_090714.jpg

Hold the phone.......Menards stocks marine grade plywood? Right on the shelf? No kidding.

The MG ply I have to order is 70 a 3/4 sheet too, funny thing is that MG looks worse to me than the ACX, look at the hurking voids... what's up with that?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Pretty sure I would still buy the BCX exterior grade plywood anyway.

Yah, me too. I'm going to spend some money in some areas, this is an area I can save a fair amount. Even though that marine grade is a real decent price it's still almost double the Araoco. Everything will be completely sealed up with epoxy and should last about forever anyhow.

Trailer looks fantastic!

Thanks man, I'm really happy how it turned out.

This is another one of those areas where I've learned where to spend money and where to save money. I saved by beating out the bent up fenders, reusing and just painting up the heavy chains, repainted the winch, reusing the bunk brackets, rolling paint instead of spraying. I spent money on the new galvanized wheels (painted ones rust fast), stainless lugs (chrome rusts out fast), retractable transom straps and the Trailer Valet that make boat life super easy. (though I actually got a pretty good deal on the galvanized rims and new tires)

I've also learned not to kill myself prepping to paint these trailers. I remember spending about a month trying to knock all the rust off of the Islander trailer. I got sick of that and even paid a guy to totally sand blast it. Then I spent a ton of time priming it up and painting. Well, it's currently showing rust in a variety of spots, sheesh.

So yah, now I knock off the loose stuff, grab a roller, prime and paint. When it starts to show some rust again in a few years I'll do it again, it'll take me just a couple of hours, no problem.

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
Jas,
Good insights on the trailer, one of the projects that I need to tackle this summer!

Your trailer looks fantastic! Very nice!

MNards does carry the Marine grade plywood, but like others I went the cheaper route and made sure to seal the heck out of the new transom!

Frey

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Your trailer looks fantastic! Very nice!

MNards does carry the Marine grade plywood, but like others I went the cheaper route and made sure to seal the heck out of the new transom!

Frey

Thanks man!

Yah, way back I needed to special order marine grade from Menards, I think it cost me like $85 maybe? Well, once the Arauco is all epoxied and painted up I feel better spending half.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
AOK guys, the past few months have been way busy but I finally got back to work on this ol hull.

Those of you who have checked out my past projects know I'm not afraid to try new things. Well check this out...

20170507_165650.jpg

20170507_165659.jpg

20170507_165713.jpg

20170507_165723.jpg

20170507_165735.jpg

20170507_165745.jpg

20170507_165801.jpg

20170507_165819.jpg

20170507_165830.jpg

20170507_165838.jpg

20170507_165906.jpg

For the past couple of weeks I've been slowly working on the hull bottom and stern. I really liked the way the Jet Star turned out with the "brushed" alum look so I wanted to do that here too. Man, it's a lot of work but I do like it.

Now, for the paint...

So far I've tried a bunch of paint methods and techniques (including paying a professional) and my results have been about 50/50. Some good, some not great (including the pro job).

I've been seeing the Diesel Brothers guys building their trucks using Line X Body Armor, pretty cool...
d9069583241afe579393c09d98702091.jpg

Seems like a lot of guys are going this route on hard working trucks and Jeeps. I suppose a hard working boat could probably do the same!

Well, Line X was out of the question, waaayyyy too expensive. So I narrowed it down to Monstaliner and Raptor Liner as I can apply these myself. I ended up going with Raptor...
https://www.raptorliner.com.au/

10 year old Ryan got to pick the color, I think it's Firebird Red or something like that. He also wanted flames painted on the sides, we won't go there.

At this point, I do think I like it!:thumb:

Last edited:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Dude,.............Looks great!

I think it's gonna need some fancy chrome number,....I know some guys that have these and they look great.

Pusher

Lieutenant
The color really pops out and I like the flat look too.

Good on you for keeping your kid involved! I hope I have a boy when we're ready.