1984 16.5' Sea Nymph Ski Sport Rebuild

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Dooooooooooooooood,

I love the ANGRY Evinrude! The Nymph is gonna be fast....

Good to see ya bear:rockon:

Jasoutside...May I tag along? Love the SN and "Angry Evinrude!" Very sweet.

I will be honest dude, it was you who pushed me over the line to get me to buy my SN project boat and gave me the courage to get going. Little did I know how stinkin' addicting this stuff is! Thanks!

Frey

Hey thanks for the compliment frey! Well, don't look for this one to be too fancy. I'm aiming for all utility here. I want to be able to climb into this boat for some late winter steelhead fishing, with muddy snowy boots, and not care a bit. Nope, you won't see any white pleated vinyl seats going in here.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
So this morning I found a few hours to work on the rig.

I dug out all the foam at the two giant stern compartments. As I was eyeballing the whole stern structure I knew full well that I wouldn't be able to pull the transom out with it all in place. All of it was so tight, wedged, bolted and swollen with water there was no way the transom would let go.

So, everything needed to be dismantled...
20161218_093715.jpg

Like my other Sea Nymph's, these are one part boat and one part bomb shelter. Super strong, all sort of solid structure coming out of there. I do like the solid nature of how they built these boats. The two major design flaws I see in Sea Nymphs would be the pour in foam and how they sandwich the transom board in two pieces of alum skin. Outside of that they are awesome.

Going back to my debate about what to do with this stern side structure..............now that it's all out there's no way I'm going to build it to full height again. I'll for sure modify the splashwell and have a nice casting deck back there.

After I was able to get all that structure out of the way I got after that transom. I know it's always interesting to see how we all pull those transoms so here ya go...
20161218_100738.jpg

20161218_100944.jpg

Scrap piece of rope, engine hoist, little bit of muscle, little bit of finesse and she's out. Man is it heavy at 2 1/4" thick and totally saturated with water. I was shocked it came out in one piece and pumped I have a nice template!

Standard nasty stuff left behind...
20161218_101339.jpg

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Looks like a good start! Always nice to have a template.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh man I can smell that foul odor of moldy dirty gym socks from here. Lots of nasty on that inner transom skin, hope the pitting isn't bad.

Nice there's a triple knee brace, super stout is right.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Moving right along, nice. I like the finished look with the aluminum. Looks like you'll have to ditch it though if you're going to lower the Splash well. Shame it didn't run the whole length.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Mornin fellas and thanks for swinging through!

Budski, appreciate the links - I'm thinking that the stern deck will look very similar to my previous Sea Nymph...

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...ea-nymph-ss-165-rebuild?p=6088704#post6088704

P1090606.jpg

WM - wet and stinky is right. Add in some mouse nests and you about have it.

So yesterday afternoon I started removing the deck and digging out the foam, man wan a pain all that stuff is. If wet nasty foam isn't bad enough it's now frozen solid. I not only have to dig it all out, which is a big enough problem, but I also have to chip away at it like a block of ice........ugh. I kinda have to move my heater near the section of the hull I'm working on to soften it up a little and then excavate. Man what a drag. So yah, it'll be a few days of digging all this garbage out:mad-new:

Cheers guys!

64osby

Admiral
It is 5 degrees in the SW side of the state right now. Your garage is probably still quite cold.

Frozen foam. The worst kind. :eek:

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow that transom is huge (thick)! No wonder you needed an engine puller it had to be quite heavy.

Frozen foam.....you guys are funny!

The SE side of the state was -3 this morning!

Frey

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
So Ryan and I have been digging out that foam...
20161220_172255.jpg

The tools of choice was this shovel with a small blade on it along with a mallet and a pry bar.

Sheesh what a grind that was to get it all out! But, that's behind us now which is awesome...
20161220_171434.jpg

Then I tore out all those alum channels/gutters that ran down the middle...
20161220_180535.jpg

So, we do have some progress:thumb:

Up next would be drilling out all the decking rivets left behind and then start cleaning up this hull.

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Schweet, will b nice to have a clean blank canvas to build from. great progress!!

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Dude you two are flying. Have to say that is one thick transom. Was it original? I have seen thinner behind desiel houseboats.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
One of those oscillating mulit-tools makes short work of those left behind deck rivets.

edgepa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking good... another great project pushing me to set started.....

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
One of those oscillating mulit-tools makes short work of those left behind deck rivets.
That's a good idea ez. That is a great tool. I just used mine to cut sheet rock around a basement off the floor in case of another flood. Made short work of it and was easy to keep a straight line. They just get a bit hot is my only complaint but still a great little tool for sure.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
AOK, time for an update:thumb:

I cut off all the rivet heads left behind from the decking and did a rough shop vac...
20161227_150437.jpg

Just doing some thinking and some planning for the fuel tank and fish box............I tried every possible configuration with the several tanks I have on hand here and this is about the best set up I have....
20161227_152505.jpg

The bow side 41 gallon tank will serve as fuel for the big Evinrude and will go right where it sits in that photo and be decked over. The smaller 22 gallon tank will be dropped down into the hull and serve as our fish box. I'll need to modify three of the deck stringers and my rough measurements tell me I'll need to raise the deck about 1 inch or so.

Temps got into the mid 30's so I rolled the boat outside for a pressure wash to knock the big dirt off. As you can see, some of the paint came with it...
20161228_154629.jpg

20161228_154655.jpg

20161228_154721.jpg

Then I took some time to align and adjust the trailer bunks and winch post to fit this hull perfectly. Then cut all the rusty bolts and junk off and scraped all the decals. I pounded out some of the dents in the fenders, but left one just for the heck of it. Some prep work and then a new coat of grey paint...
20161230_134059.jpg

Trailers are a pain - I like to get them out of the way first!

Happy 2017 guys:rockon: