No announcement yet.

1984 16.5' Sea Nymph Ski Sport Rebuild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of those oscillating mulit-tools makes short work of those left behind deck rivets.
    2002 20' Hydra-Sports 202DC 200HP Yamaha HPDI
    1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
    Restoration thread https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357767

Comment

Looking good... another great project pushing me to set started.....

Comment

Originally posted by ezmobee View Post
        One of those oscillating mulit-tools makes short work of those left behind deck rivets.
        That's a good idea ez. That is a great tool. I just used mine to cut sheet rock around a basement off the floor in case of another flood. Made short work of it and was easy to keep a straight line. They just get a bit hot is my only complaint but still a great little tool for sure.
        1977 Crestliner Nordic 16
        My rebuild (still underway)
        https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-repair-and-restoration/boat-restoration-building-and-hull-repair/614881-aluminum-1977-crestliner-rebuild-finally-underway

Comment

AOK, time for an update

I cut off all the rivet heads left behind from the decking and did a rough shop vac...

Just doing some thinking and some planning for the fuel tank and fish box............I tried every possible configuration with the several tanks I have on hand here and this is about the best set up I have....

The bow side 41 gallon tank will serve as fuel for the big Evinrude and will go right where it sits in that photo and be decked over. The smaller 22 gallon tank will be dropped down into the hull and serve as our fish box. I'll need to modify three of the deck stringers and my rough measurements tell me I'll need to raise the deck about 1 inch or so.

Temps got into the mid 30's so I rolled the boat outside for a pressure wash to knock the big dirt off. As you can see, some of the paint came with it...

Then I took some time to align and adjust the trailer bunks and winch post to fit this hull perfectly. Then cut all the rusty bolts and junk off and scraped all the decals. I pounded out some of the dents in the fenders, but left one just for the heck of it. Some prep work and then a new coat of grey paint...

Trailers are a pain - I like to get them out of the way first!

Happy 2017 guys
          1983 26' Starcraft Sportfisherman 261V Rebuild
          1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild - SOLD
          1980 16' Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild (swapped)
          1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild (sold)

115' of Beach on Lake Huron

Comment

Man I need to get your motivation. Still got the jet and picked up a deckboat not even started on either. Trailer looks awesome. Happy New Year captain.

Comment

The SN rib and deck support design isn't the best for being able to use belly tanks. I'll be interested to see how you go about the tank enclosure and filler / line routing.

Yeah trailer work is a PITA alright, sure looks better with some paint. Don't forget to pull those hubs apart.
              1979 V5 SS140 HP Merc ...... 1970 18' Chieftain IO restoration
              1978 16' SS160 SeaNymph .. 1978 14' Seafarer

Comment

Trailers looking good. Nice work!!
                1986 Bayliner 16' Capri, 90 hp Johnson (sold)
                1990 Chaparral 2000 SL Sport, 4.3L LX, Mercruiser Alpha I, Gen I

Link to Chaparral restoration- https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-repair-and-restoration/boat-restoration-building-and-hull-repair/10286641-chaparral-2000-sl-sport-floor-and-more

Comment

Great progress. Trailers are the devil. Will be nice to have that done and outta the way.

Comment

Originally posted by proshadetree View Post
                    Man I need to get your motivation.
                    Thanks PST! Yah, thinking about spring walleye, pike and steelhead has me fairly motivated on this one. May will be here quick!

Originally posted by Watermann View Post
                    The SN rib and deck support design isn't the best for being able to use belly tanks. I'll be interested to see how you go about the tank enclosure and filler / line routing.
                    Stay tuned my friend, I have a plan

Originally posted by Baylinerchuck View Post
                    Trailers looking good. Nice work!!
                    Originally posted by ezmobee View Post
                    Great progress. Trailers are the devil. Will be nice to have that done and outta the way.
                    Thanks fellas! I still have all the gear to go back on yet - tires, wheels, coupler, bow stop, chains, bunks, lights, winch strap, lights.... But, the hard part is behind me so that's good.

Yesterday I had a few minutes to flip the boat over onto my utility trailer for some hull work...

I'm on the fence right now about what to do with this hull. We are really fond of how the Jet Star turned out...

The black and "brushed alum" look was really sharp. Though, the black shows everything and I had so much trouble painting the Islander I may never paint again. I might just go with all brushed alum on this Sea Nymph. Getting that look is a ton of work though. I remember when I did the Jet Star thinking that I'll never do that again. Dunno.....on the fence right at the moment but that decision will happen pretty quick here.
                    1983 26' Starcraft Sportfisherman 261V Rebuild
                    1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild - SOLD
                    1980 16' Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild (swapped)
                    1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild (sold)

115' of Beach on Lake Huron

Comment

Happy new year Jas. Nothing better than the color black but boy it's work to keep it looking good. How about a combo of grey with some black to make it easier to keep "looking" clean. You'll get the black but maybe in a Stock looking stripe instead of the whole boat? I'm definitely. Not a huge fan of the present scheme but maybe somewhere in the middle of that and painting the whole side black? If two tone isn't your thing, go dark grey...worked for the navy. Lol good luck and nice progress.
                      1977 Crestliner Nordic 16
                      My rebuild (still underway)
                      https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-repair-and-restoration/boat-restoration-building-and-hull-repair/614881-aluminum-1977-crestliner-rebuild-finally-underway

Comment

If you want to keep your fishing spots secret maybe some paint inspiration here,.......
                        RMS Olympic in Halifax, as seen through the eyes of Group of Seven artist Arthur Lismer. (Image source: WikiCommons). AN OUTMODED century-old camouflage

Comment

Bare aluminum with a stripe of color. Rolling on some Rusto for the stripe shouldn't cause much frustration.

Comment

Polished aluminum would look awesome like a mirror man. Getting it there and keeping it there is another story.

Comment

Great work on the trailer there JAS! Looking good. What will you use to get those pesky "racing stripes" off of the side of the SN prior to paint, I am assuming that you are removing them....

Frey
                              1985 Sea Nymph 14r - Sold
                              1990 Sea Nymph FM160B - Splashed, but always upgrading! https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...0b-restoration

Comment

Working...
                              X