1956 Blue Star Islander Restoration

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: 1956 Blue Star Islander Restoration

I'm a little intimidated by the fiberglass work as I've never done it before. There are no full cracks in the fiber (or I wouldn't have bought the boat) but there are hundreds of suface cracks that will need to be dealt with. The full is thick aluminum and STURDY. No dents, just the usual wear and tear. The engine controls will need to be replaced and the trailer obviously needs some work. Nothing I can't handle with time. :)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Looks really futuristic, I dig the fins!!!:thumb:

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Neat looking boat!

Keep us posted.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looks like a good rig, fins & all!

Good luck

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I am GLAD you are intimidated by fiberglass work since you should never use fiberglass on a tin boat.....maybe on seats and decking but not the aluminum itself.

I love the lines and the old school port side mounted steering ;)

The good new is that iboats launched a whole bunch more Paint, Fiberglass and restoration supplies today. They have increased the inventory and selection :D Check it out......Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building....... that hull looks great but maybe a little gluvit inside on those aging seams and the transom could be used:) Maybe some new paint..... that boat is FAR too nice to just do with cheap paint!

I can't wait to see this one come together........ now we should find a nice vintage motor.

Good Luck

jbcurt00

Staff member

photo5_zpsba5085f9.jpg

Isn't it a glass cap on an aluminum hull?

Seats, dash & bow cover definitely look to be glass:
Photo21_zps1e8f9c19.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Soooo, I'm WoodonGlass. You gotta be GlassonTin!!!!:eek: Did not Know these existed. I might have to start looking around!!!! I had a Wood Topped Glass boat and will Have another one in the near future. How cool would it be to have the "TIN" counterpart!!!:D

Last edited:

kfa4303

Banned

He is the chosen one. Picked by the boat lords to bring peace to the two waring worlds of glass and tin. Godspeed good sir!

Drowned Rat

Captain

Yessir, fins, cover and seat backs are all fiber. :) My first question. What kind of sanding tool do you guys recommend to start cleaning up the fiberglass?

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Cleaning off a couple different coats of paint?

Then prepping the fiberglass for more glass work &/or filling/fairing before new gelcoat?

Prepping the glass for a longer lasting painted finish then is on it now in a patchwork fashion?

Whatever sander will fit all the contours to get the paint off, random orbit to minimize scratching. Don't be too aggressive, you don't want to damage the underlying gelcoat any further. But if the gelcoat is in poor condition, there is quite a bit of work ahead, that sanding alone may not be sufficient.

I would try some citrus strippers that are listed as fiberglass safe, to remove the layers of paint. Aircraft stripper (Rustoleum makes one) is awful to work w/ but removes most finishes. I DO NOT KNOW IF IT'S FIBERGLASS safe or not.

Do not be surprised to find the gelcoat in pretty rough shape.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Thank you both for the tips,

I am guessing that I'll need to completely resurface all the fiberglass. There surface cracks are deep enough and numerous enough that it's probably better to put clean glass over the whole thing. I'll do some research on how to do this, but in terms of prep, I'll need to sand to bare fiberglass to get started correct?

Drowned Rat

Captain

If I clean up the surface well, can I use a product like Gluvit to paint over the top and fill the cracks?

kfa4303

Banned

Gluv-it is really meant more for sealing the seams of the boat and/or wooden products. For the f'glass, you'd have to use something more along the lines of Marine Tex which is a spreadable epoxy paste kind of like waterproof marine bondo and/or a product like West Marine Six ten epoxy caulk. After you fill in the cracks and block the cap, you can then apply primer, color and clear coat. Be sure to get a proper respirator before you begin too. I hope you like sanding......... :)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

If I clean up the surface well, can I use a product like Gluvit to paint over the top and fill the cracks?

Gluvit is very runny on is for horizontal surfaces, your best bet will be a fairing compound you make yourself out of polyester or epoxy resin and powdered fillers and binders.

You'll use a polyester resin base if you want to gel coat over the finished product. Use an epoxy resin fairing compound if you just plan to paint.

You can order the materials from here:

Fillers

Epoxy :?Epoxy Resins and Hardeners

Polyester Resins

Here's a good thread with some nice fiberglass fairing and paint work:
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...ortcraft-c-gull-work-boat-project-630034.html

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You're gunna want to sand the glass down starting with 80 grit and work your way to 180. Any major scratches or gouges you can fill with paste made by mixing poly resin with some glass bubbles. It will spread like a dream and sand easily. Once she's all sanded and faired You can spray her with a couple of coats of high build primer to take care of any minor blemishes and sand with 220 to 320 and she'll be as smooth as glass.;)

jbcurt00

Staff member

The only way to know IF a crack that's been filled, but might end up cracking/telegraphing thru & being visible on the finished surface, is to try it & wait to see if it does. Less then ideal, IMO. Cracks need to be completely removed, ie: the surrounding gelcoat completely ground off, or the crack chased w/ a V-notch to allow more surface area for the filler to grab. Neither is an easy, quick fix, but they both provide a much great chance of hiding or filling the crack & NOT telegraphing thru a new topcoat of fairing compound, paint, epoxy paint, gelcoat or whatever.

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

Great find! Looking forward to following along and seeing things progress. Looks like it should be a real head turner when you are done.