93 Crownline 196 deck and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Wow. I just went back and looked at some of your first posts in the thread from February. You've really come a long way! Nice work, and I hope you get her in the water soon.

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks JASinIL2006. On the days that I get aggravated, I go back to the old posts and it reminds me that everything is progressing, although at times it doesn't feel that way.

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well today has been super productive. I got most of my wiring finished up last night, so we moved along with the engine install. When I removed it, we did so with the frontend loader on the tractor. After some suggestions from my father in law, we realized that we would not have enough control over the movement going back in so we went with his plan of using a chain hoist. This worked out great and with a little help, we were able to persuade it in place, mark the holes for the front mounts, and then do it all again for the final install.

Sorry about the picture quality on these two, I almost forgot them so had to jump in real quick before we moved everything.
And a decent picture from inside.

After the install, one of my helpers had to leave, so my father in law and I decided to tackle the alignment. I had been extremely worried about this part mainly because reading the post regarding the instructions are somewhat confusing unless you have done it one time. It did not take long to figure out that this is not a bad procedure. once you get your brain wrapped around the direction the engine actually needs to move, and yes, we moved it the wrong way to start with. After getting it close, we moved in either 1/8 or 1/16" increments until we got it dialed in. All together, it was about a two hour process with one man in the boat and another using the alignment tool even with the mistakes made.

I caught a second wind after eating a bite of supper and decided to move on and install the outdrive.

This too went pretty smooth but I think I moved the shifter position on the drive because the positions are slightly out of sync. I'll pull it off tomorrow and double check all of this.

Also, I reconnected the speedometer built into the outdrive, but when I blow on the hole in the foot, I can't get a reading. I know it is clear up to the connection on top of the lower unit so I am assuming that the line in the unit itself is clogged. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clear it?? I think I blew a little compressed air in it while I was replacing the water pump just for good measure, but I'm not sure if that is the best solution.

Anyhow, I'm hoping to test all of my electrical tomorrow and maybe get a test fire on the water hose before the end of the day. I'll update if that actually happens.

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well no test fire yesterday, but I did narrow my shifting problems down to the shift cable adjustment. I plan to correct this later on this afternoon as well as wire my fuel system up and then we should be ready for a test fire. I did get my trim senders adjusted. One had rotated past the limits, and was not letting my engage the "up" button on the control. It took me a minute to figure out what was going on, but everything is fixed now. I have double and triple checked everything, but you always have that suspicion that something has been overlooked after being completely disassembled.

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
She is finally running!! The fuel system issue ended up being my fault. I pulled the grounding connector loose while wrapping the wire in split loom. Also, after 1 dead battery and 20 minutes of turning the engine over, even with a little starting fluid, I realized that I just wasn't getting fire. There is a bad connection in my shift interrupter switch which I believe I caused while adding a new terminal to the positive side. I was able to bandage it up for now and ordered a used unit on ebay. (Fingers crossed that it works). I was able to run it for 15 to 20 minutes. I wanted it to get to decent temperature since I had it fired. So far, I'm happy with the edelbrock marine carb. I'm pretty sure it will be an improvement after hearing it run last night and I have less than 100 bucks in it with purchase price and the rebuild kit. I have a video from last night that I will try to upload later. Please excuse the quality, it was dark and the sound is horrible.

Between this afternoon and Friday afternoon, I'm going to try to get everything buttoned up, even if I have to use my old support frame for the stern cushions. I really want to get it in the water for a few weekends and it wouldn't hurt to save that for another winter project so I can complete everything the way that I want it instead of rushing through. We will see how everything goes and I'll update if I get to head to the water by Saturday.

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Woo hoo on getting her started! I like that idea of going with the old rear seating until you have more time to work on it this winter. You're almost finished!

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Rick, after tonight, I think thats actually what I'm going to do. Theres no need in burning two more weekends with the warm weather coming to an end. At least I'll get a few trips to the water and keep the wife at bay. I also have four nieces and nephews that are more than ready to go.

Here's where I got tonight.

I only have a few more pieces to go back in and she will be done until this winter. I plan to do a test run either Friday or Saturday. It really depends on what time I get home and finished on Friday. I may not get to post the finished product on Friday, but I will get some videos of the test run, as long as it goes well.

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks JaCrispy. It is a work in progress and looks like it will continue on into the winter.

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well the water test went well. I went Saturday morning with my father in law. I left it on the trailer and let it idle for 5 to 10 minutes just to check for any leaks and then we ran it for about an hour. I intended to get pictures and videos that afternoon or yesterday when we went back, but the rain prevented that.

The one thing that I really noticed that was how much faster it planed. I'm guessing that the diet it went on after removing the wet foam helped with that. The new edelbrock carb is great. I did a series of on and off throttle runs to make sure my mixture adjustment was correct and it never stumbled. The idle and rev are spot on as well. It looks like we will have a rainy first part of the week, but I will try to get videos and pictures hopefully by the weekend.

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I somehow missed this until today, I actually wondered if you'd run into a problem. Very glad to hear you got it splashed and everything went well. I'd like to see a pic of the stern area seating, I have a mental image but want to be sure it's correct. I'd also like to see a picture of your nieces and nephews on the boat having fun. I'm sure that will be some lasting memories for them and for you and your wife.

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Rick, I have a few pictures from this weekend but naturally they are on my wife's phone. I'll try to get a few uploaded tonight.

Gregc196br

Recruit
atjohnson,

Do you still have all of your measurements for the stringers and the order information for you glasswork? I have a 1994 Crownline 196br that looks exactly like your boat did at the beginning. This would be a huge help, we have a vacation scheduled in July for Lake Cumberland and kind of need this boat back to original by then. Thanks for any input and you did a fantastic job.

Superjet511

Seaman
I just bought a 1994 Crownline 196br that looks the same as well. Just finished removing about 90% of the floor and foam. I too would be so grateful 8f I could get ahold of the stringer information. Atjohnson mentioned that he even had solid models of the stringers....
Gregc196br
I assume your boat is done by now? Do you have any stringer info?

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.