1990 Steiger Craft transom investigation

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
About ready to take her to the Suzuki dealer. Pulled her out into the sun for the first time to clean the shop and start gearing up for this summer's project and noticed that the Seastar hydraulic steering is leaking.:blue: Back into the shop, parts on order, and I'll be rebuilding that this week. Better now than losing steering in a critical situation.

I think JC at this point with your boat you could do a "MINDMELD" like Spock and tell the boat which way to go,
Just another ding to do.

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Sorry to hear that jc. One less thing to worry about later

Exactly. nothing more important than steering.

KC, Yes! I'll hook up some fly by wire actuators which respond to voice commands on my Droid!:D

jc55

I got my Seastar gland replacement kit. Super easy. Took 10 minutes and rebuilt it on paper, not rags. The bleeders were plugged so it's good to clean and blow those out when you replace those o-rings.
IMG_20150408_192647_748.jpg

Used a jar with seastar fluid so that we could open up the bleeders and let it flow from the helm, then turned the wheel back and forth. After that we started following the instructions and bled her normally. It took 10 minutes max. Even with an empty cylinder, I used 5 ounces max. The steering is tighter and more responsive than it's ever been.

IMG_20150408_192618_093.jpg

zool

Captain
Well done as usual JC, I guess youll be splashing again soon ;)....I must admit, im kinda interested in the model t thing you have planned...I always wanted to mess with one of those old buggies..

Mark72233

Ensign
Would it be bad form to start a Model "T" segment on iboats. I would love to see that rebuild also.

jc55

Mark, I'm already dragging parts and engines home. In just two short days on the model t forum, I have made some incredible contacts. It has a '28 chevy overhead valve head on the model t block. Here's a pic of the car with my grandfather racing it in an exhibition race...
IMG_20150407_195010_183.jpg

Rightaway

Recruit
Hi JC55, I'm new to this forum. I have an '02 Chesapeake with water intrusion in the port gunwale. I read about your situation. How did it work out?

jc55

Hey Rightaway, My boat is at the Suzuki dealership right now so I haven't taken her out on the water. The gunwale was pretty firm to walk on even without the wood core so it will surely be fine with the new wood core I installed. Just make sure you reseal the bow rail mounting surfaces and their screws.

Rightaway

Recruit
I'll do the Re-seal with something that I can remove and do the repair properly in the off-season. Catch 'em up JC!

jc55

You'll be fine to do that. These boats are built tough!

Jimmysc400

Recruit
Hi Jc55
im new to the forum and i came across your built .
i just got a 1985 steiger craft 25ft and im redoing the stringers and floors in the back . can you send me pics of your built cause i cant see it on the forum and i try to look for it in photo bucket and no luck ... thank you for your help if you can guide me to where i can see the pics .

Thanks
Jimmy