1983 Procraft 1750V Boat Restoration

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice score, having shade out on the water is one of the best things ever, lets you enjoy being out way longer.

Heck yes. I'll also love having the walk-through windshield curtain for colder days. It was freezing at speed when I tested the boat on cold days.

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been really busy the past two weeks, but I've had a little time to mess with the boat. The fore cushions that I covered with carpet had screws coming out that I had tried over-sizing, so I used a syringe to fill them with JB Weld, then tapped the holes and reinstalled with machine screws. Those cushions are a PITA to install, so I hope the epoxy threads hold.

Next, I couldn't think of a good way to install the running boards without drilling a holding board to the deck like the factory did, but I finally decided to buy some galvanized angle brackets, painted them white, and I'll install them screwed to the wood under the consoles. That description probably isn't great, but I'll post some pics when the paint dries and the install is finished.

I couldn't find any room to drill cutout holes for speakers, so I bought a 30W bluetooth speaker. It may not be incredibly loud, but should be just fine for listening to when guests and I anchor out to swim.

I finally have a free day, so I'm off to see if my motor works right again and drop a line!

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
The motor started easily, but acted cold natured and rough on the lower RPMs. It's time that I just unbolt the carbs and start with a clean slate. My tach wouldn't show above 3K RPM, but the ignition miss was gone with the new switch boxes and the speed was up about where I'd expect. I'm guessing the rectifier or stator to be the issue there, but I'll run through the CDI testing after my carbs are rebuilt.

Despite the motor being cantankerous, we still managed to fish for a few hours and enjoy being out on the water. My girlfriend got skunked, and I caught a black crappie and a decent-sized 4.5lb largemouth bass.

IMG_30111.jpg

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been trying to think of a way for a cooler to take up less space, and I came up with an idea for modifying a Coleman Xtreme cooler I haven't used in a few years.

FYI, I would not recommend purchasing one, as they have no latches and the lid is prone to warping in the sun to the point that it won't even seal. Mine warped the first weekend I used it camping, so I've had cinder blocks sitting on the lid in a corner for 3 years; I basically forgot about it. I noticed it the other day and it was a good fit for where I wanted one to go. It's a dark green, so I thought a coat of white paint and stainless latches may keep it from warping again and match the boat better.

I used Rustoleum white plastic primer (2 coats, rattle can) followed by plain white Rustoleum enamel. I'm not sure if plastic primer will actually bond well, but it looks good for now.

Resized_20180418_212623.jpeg

When only three or less folks are on board, it can sit where the fourth seat would go. If it slides around any, I can always add a seat pin pedestal to it.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Coolers are always a pain to have taking up room, my 2 fishing boats I added an in-deck cooler to the builds.

y4mZSGp3Lf_WOVepV6nsJK1XUFkuAmqj_EPDyV0QwmMu4HqUakiB9y_Or-_V9jtr_1-JfbCXoeGOOCzxxiZI8kg7c1z1cBFX_UKuTuaxdfi2m4ugZlMkS2IJ2yJnvvoNwqrYS08WlgK2VL5HBlvF0kB4OZzs2UjMCQc4iVxys7A1H_5Q8X3NgtpKT-Yt5IBid86Etw1ESTqsoICK1vHwn7KOw

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
Coolers are always a pain to have taking up room, my 2 fishing boats I added an in-deck cooler to the builds.

I like the way that came out! If this was a pure fishing rig, I would extend the casting decks and add something like that. There's a built in cooler under my port-side seat cushion, but it's teeny tiny; I doubt more than 4 gallons of water would fit in there.

I'm really cramped to find a spot for rod holders, so I plan to mount some on the cooler.

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's been a busy week. I bought gasket kits for my carbs locally, but the needles and seats had to be ordered. They haven't come in after a week, so I went ahead and started tearing down the carbs...

A little trash in the the top 2 carb bowls, and quite a bit in the bottom bowl. Small amounts of varnish in the main jets as well. Those are all cleaned out and have been sitting with B-12 in them for a few days. The floats are good, and only the top carb's float arm needed adjustment. The rubber needles didn't look worn, and they already have the new style seats without the rubber O-ring. I put new copper washers in them and will see how it goes. Still have to bolt things back together, adjust idle screws, and see how she runs now. Hopefully I can go out on the water really soon.

Watermann

To keep those carbs clean be sure if you haven't already put on an inline spin on fuel filter and water separator. Very cheap insurance and I also put an inline fuel shut off between the primer bulb and the motor connection so I can run the motor out of fuel, the main reason for that was so when I tilt the motor the fuel in the bowls don't pour out the throats into the bottom cowl.

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
To keep those carbs clean be sure if you haven't already put on an inline spin on fuel filter and water separator. Very cheap insurance and I also put an inline fuel shut off between the primer bulb and the motor connection so I can run the motor out of fuel, the main reason for that was so when I tilt the motor the fuel in the bowls don't pour out the throats into the bottom cowl.

Not a bad idea, the metal screen in the fuel pump doesn't catch enough. Are you talking about the cheap yellow paper filters?

Watermann

This is the one I have installed in my boats. I found they have a special going with a 2 filter deal and if you add FORUM5 as promo code you get 5% off too. I don;t think that screen in the fuel pump will remove fine sediment from the fuel.

https://www.iboats.com/shop/sierra-1...hoCjDsQAvD_BwE

I forgot to ask if you replaced all the fuel lines on your motor as the old ones deteriorate adding gunk to the carbs and to use non-E premium if you have it locally.

Last edited:

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
Most of tge fuel lines have been replaced by PO. I just need a new primer buld and hose to the gas tank. That and a water seperator/filter is on my boat to do list.

Y'all can laugh at me for this next part! Got the motor on the water and ready to set the idle screws
... the idle was smooth now but it would just bog like a dog under acceleration despite any adjustments. I got mad and idled over to a fishing spot for the day.

Today, I finally noticed that I missed connecting the linkage between the top carb and bottoms, lol. Hooked that up and it worked nicely. However, it's now starving for fuel at WOT. Choking it when it starves helps, so it's time to rebuild the fuel pump and hope that fixes it.

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, new fuel lines from the tank solved the fuel starving at WOT. These were actually newer Attwood ethanol-resistant lines. I normally refrain from brand-bashing here, but Attwood makes a lot of junk! I'm going to go ahead and replace all the fuel lines while I'm at it. I'll also pull the float covers off to make sure more trash didn't flush into bowls.

Watermann

Yeah some of their stuff is less than quality, I bought Shields fuel lines for my boats.

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
I hope everyone here is having a great summer thus far. I've been to the lake nearly every weekend, and getting good use out of the boat.

I had a good scare this last weekend though. My girlfriend and I were at Possum Kingdom driving back from Hell's Gate, when I noticed the boat seemed a little doggy and started wanting to get off plane. A couple minutes later, water was coming onto the deck from the ski locker. When I flipped the bilge pump on, nothing came out of the discharge. I told my girlfriend to keep idling us toward the marina while I found that the bilge pump housing had broken. I manually held it onto the housing as we idled back to pump at least some water out. While at idle speed, the fast leak stopped and we made it back to the dock where I quickly put it on the trailer.

So, I'm dry docked for the moment while I try to find out what's going on. I can't find any kind of stress cracks on the hull, so I'm looking at the below waterline thru-hulls and livewell hoses.

Watermann

That is the definition of a "sinking feeling".:eek: Good luck to you figuring it out, hope it's simple fix and not a crack..

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
That is the definition of a "sinking feeling".:eek: Good luck to you figuring it out, hope it's simple fix and not a crack..

Lol, I was close to a sandy beach if the leak hadn't stopped

I can't find a crack thankfully, unless it's right under a trailer bunk. I plan on backing the boat in a nearby lake with my dad shining a flashlight in the bilge to see what we can find.

In the meantime, I installed a new fuel and volt gauge and fixed where some of the rub rail was coming loose. Also got a new bilge pump, just needs installed.