87 bayliner refurb/restoration project... "The Big Dirty"

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 87 bayliner refurb/restoration project... "The Big Dirty"

yes it does seem to get colder faster and longer there ive been to keswick quite a few times and its always seem to be colder.

never did cross lake simcoe in a truck i think i would rather do that in a boat lol

zool

Captain

We have a short boating season down here, you must get like what 5 days? ..:laugh:

Im losing patience with winter more and more every year...as I get brittle....

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We have a short boating season down here, you must get like what 5 days? ..:laugh:....

HA! Nah, actually more like 7... :laugh:

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

10 days if you have a coast gaurd cutter chopping thru the ice ahead of you. but then again they dont do that for just anyone lol

bigdirty

.... they dont do that for just anyone lol

Nope, and I'll bet for SURE not ME! :laugh:

SO! I'm finally able to 'get something done' on the old girl! Well, 'for' it anyway, its all in the shop right now.. where its warm. I must say, I'm VERY disappointed (shocked, appalled, sickened, etc) with the build quality and workmanship of the factory wrap around bench, once I found it. It was underneath the terrible po's attempt at upholstery. It looks like it was thrown together very half arsed, with many small pieces of wood here and there screwed/glued/scabbed together, what appears to be the remains of perhaps some drywall type screws, a bunch of expanding foam, some rusty metal brackets, and bolsters screwed to the backrest THROUGH the front edges of the upholstery, leaving many a tear/hole.. Oh, and most of the wood has returned to nature. :laugh:

I managed to salvage most of the foam, and a few bits of wood, mostly for template purposes as its almost all soaking wet and pretty soft... Wheeeeeee!!!! This is fun! And quite a mess too....

Attachments

• backrest5.jpg
    backrest5.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 3
  • backrest10.jpg
    backrest10.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 3
  • backrest inards2.jpg
    backrest inards2.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 3
  • pile of poo.jpg
    pile of poo.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 3
  • poor assy.jpg
    poor assy.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

bigdirty

few more pics...

Attachments

• salvaged wood.jpg
    salvaged wood.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1
  • backrest4.jpg
    backrest4.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 1
  • botom1.jpg
    botom1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1
  • bottom2.jpg
    bottom2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1
  • backrest1.jpg
    backrest1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1

bigdirty

So I got to put in a good 8 hours of work yesterday, designing and starting the seat rebuild.. gona be a big job, but I think it will turn out pretty good. Theres a saying where I work; "Make it look like the picture." (most prints/parts we make nowadays have a 3d isometric drawing of the finished part) So i made some drawings.. then I had to figure out how to make it in reality..:laugh:

I had a few small pieces of teak veneered 1/2" ply kicking around, im going to set some pieces into the corners of the bench seat for cup holders, after the top edge is wrapped in the new white upholstery. Figurein the end i'll put some teak accents here and there on the back deck/steps, dress the ol girl up a bit. :)

Attachments

• frame3.jpg
    frame3.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 1
  • plans 1.jpg
    plans 1.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 1
  • plans  2.jpg
    plans 2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1
  • frame1.jpg
    frame1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1
  • frame2.jpg
    frame2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 1

bigdirty

Set up the foam bolsters against the framing, looks like I measured right.. :laugh: but I'm going to try to make them in several pieces, rather than one giant piece like the factory. Hopefully i can work it out so i don't need to do a lot of sewing, (get someone to sew for me..) and just do some clever wrapping on the ends of the panels, so as to hide it with the next one. The lower seat foam is also one big piece with an add on on the front edge, to make it wider (factory) but i will likely cut that into 3 pieces, for easier upholstery and ease of install.

Attachments

• bolster3.jpg
    bolster3.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1
  • bolster1.jpg
    bolster1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1
  • bolster2.jpg
    bolster2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pity I live in Sask......otherwise I'd be over at your place every week-end helping out. Love doing and learning on projects like this. Good job!

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

looking good dirty

i take it everything ended well with your clutch tranny job

bigdirty

...i take it everything ended well with your clutch tranny job

:faint2:

Ya.. lets just say it 'went' ..and after the power steering lines decided to blow up ($400) AND after waiting a week to get them, it's finally back on the road.

Feels good to get some work done on the boat finally tho :) I'm pretty strapped now, hope I can squeeze enough $$ out of the bank account this week to pick up some material to start upholstering.. After that I don't have to spend much cash, just a bunch of my time.

SWD; thanks anyway man, I'd take an extra hand for a lot of this :laugh: I'm working alone most of the time, have to come up with interesting ways of doing things sometimes.

zool

Captain

I'm working alone most of the time, have to come up with interesting ways of doing things sometimes.

Ive overcome this with Clamps, Cursing, and Beer......;).....thats one heck of a couch yer building there, but thats one of the features of your model I always liked.....

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hey BD,
I have been quietly lurking in the background watching your trials and tribulations up to this point...
Hope you got that V-dub all figured out...
You definitely scored one large Bayliner there...looks like a nice design and its quite large...
Neighbor of mine used to work with Bertram Yachts down here in Miami and he owned an old Bayliner...he used to say it was from the "golden age" of Bayliner's early beginnings before they got into the "Ferrari wanna be" market, got bought out by Brunswick and started building great looking, entry level boats at a fraction the price of the "real" ones...:rolleyes:
We all know where that has ended up...:facepalm:
To be fair, they did make it more affordable for the regular guy to get into a nice looking boat, motor, trailer package deal for a lot less green...
And, in the last few years their build quality has gone up...:behindsofa:

Anyhow, just wanted permission to come aboard and watch, learn and cheer you on this journey you have taken on...
Your new bench is looking solid and when you are ready for some excellent upholstery advice, there are quite a few good stitch dudes that hang around here and will more than happy to help out with slapping some vinyl on the new seats.
Best of Luck and Have Fun!
GT1M

bigdirty

Ive overcome this with Clamps, Cursing, and Beer......;).....

Yes, 'temporary' pieces of wood screwed/levered precariously, many clamps, an above average amount of cursing, and of course LOTS o beer. :laugh: ...I consider the beer a required part of the 'supplies' list at all times ;)

It is a rather massive seating area, and what I have re-built so far is only half of it! Hence the reason i'm building it in 2 'sections' cause I am sure there will be several test fits required before i start covering it, and one big piece would be quite unmanageable for me.

bigdirty

And, in the last few years their build quality has gone up...:behindsofa:

heh.. well I still can't afford a 'new' boat, bayliner or other, so I'll leave that one alone.. :rolleyes: And yup, I figured out my VW... It sucks. But its what i got for now, and shes back to driveable.. so I'm back to the boat. :) Welcome aboard GT, yes, I've been lurking around too, looking at stitching and upholstery.. um, 'threads' :laugh: i'm working on getting access to a sewing machine in the coming weeks, and try my hand at it (hopefully without putting holes IN my hands..) and my renter said she can give me some pointers and 'instruction' so I'll see what happens..

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

" i'm working on getting access to a sewing machine in the coming weeks, and try my hand at it (hopefully without putting holes IN my hands..)"

my momma is a seamstress makes everything from quilts to you name it lol she said you aint a real seamstress till you drive the needle thru your finger once lol. When she said that i thought i would take my chances and not be called a real seamstress to avoid punctures lol

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

how do you guys get the box around the quote of someone else. I just tried and managed to mess that up as well :facepalm:

jbcurt00

Staff member

You asked here, but I dropped it over in your thread:
You need to use the Reply with Quote button at the bottom of every thread post. And make sure you leave the html code (the part IN BETWEEN the brackets: [ ] at both the beginning & end of a quote.
The code looks like this before you post a reply:
{QUOTE=banshee owner;4446437]
[/QUOTE]

BTW: The small highlighted " w/ a small + sign next to it is used to qoute multiple people, all in 1 post

When you quote someone using the reply w/ quote, it ONLY quotes what THEY posted. If they also quoted someone, YOUR quote doesn't include THEIR quoted text..

Make sense ^^^...

bigdirty

You asked here, but I dropped it over in your thread:

When you quote someone using the reply w/ quote, it ONLY quotes what THEY posted. If they also quoted someone, YOUR quote doesn't include THEIR quoted text..

Make sense ^^^...

Right. Now, who's on first? :laugh:

Oh, and I tend to poke holes in my hands and fingers on a regular basis at work, its par for the course when you work in a machine shop.. so its not that i'm afraid of it, I just hate doing it on my time off.. :facepalm:

So I went to a local upholstery/top shop today, got some samples of material to check out.. $9/yard (54" wide roll) which I thought was pretty good seeing as its local (small town, I try and keep my business here if at all possible) and they have lots in stock. Now, i have to figure out how much of the stuff I'm gona need.. Before i start doing all kinds of funky measuring and crazy math, I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's a 'rule of thumb' or a quick way to 'ballpark' how many yards i'm going to need with just some basic rough measurements of my seats?

Last edited:

bigdirty

My renter actually had a look at what i'm building, and gave me her estimate for material last nite.. so I went out today and picked up a bunch of 'beach white' and 'blue chip' vinyl.. looks 'bayliner-ish' to me :lol: and they have plenty more in stock if I need... which I think I will.. discovered tonite that the 3 panels on the inside of the radar arch are ROTTEN and what water was still in there has frozen, and bulged out.. meh, I'm not surprised :facepalm: Saw that while i did a test fit of the first section in the boat, and on the plus side it fits pretty good, just a few 'tweeks' required. Hoping to get the rest framed and test fitted by the weekend, then I can figure out/build the bolsters and seat pads.. and rip down the radar arch panels..