87 bayliner refurb/restoration project... "The Big Dirty"

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 87 bayliner refurb/restoration project... "The Big Dirty"

Welcome to the world i work in lol

brakes lines are the worst but then again i generally have a hoist to work under

i feel for you if your doing it on the ground

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ya, and it sucks even MORE to be doing it AGAIN.... (yes, on the ground.. at least i have a wood stove in my shop..) Yup, got it all back together this afternoon, and the clutch is slipping. Like not drive-able slipping.. Hold brakes, release peddle in reverse or first, motor bogs down, but wont stall.. :facepalm: so its on my shop floor again, ordering a new clutch tomorrow...:cold: Word of advice, gear oil in the bell housing is BAD, and will turn an otherwise ok clutch into a big useless pos.

Last edited:

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

You swapped a trans without replacing the disc, and it was oil soaked? Yup, not a good thing. Better check the rear main and the input seal on the trans or you may be doing this again sooner than expected.

bigdirty

You swapped a trans without replacing the disc....

Yes, yes I did, because there was nothing wrong with the clutch to begin with. It had lots of life left, but the reverse gear was gone in the trans. The idiot that I am tho, first thing yesterday morning (still half asleep i guess..) i decided to fill the gear box while i did a few other things.. there is an 'inspection' hole on the bellhousing (that i had taken the plug out of while re-installing trans) that i stuck the hose in and proceeded to dump 80/90 into.. :facepalm: tried to clean it out with brake cleaner, and it did 'sort of' move the car, but the damage was done.. now that its apart again and i HAVE to do the clutch, the rear main and the trans seal are both good/clean... it was all me. :mad-new:

Last edited:

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

are you getting the flywheel machined may not be a bad 100 to spend then you know the new clutch will seat properly and not cause other issues like chattering ect. just my professional opinion.

would hate to see you do for a third time but look on the bright side you will an expert pulling and reinstalling by the time your done.:thumb:

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

are you getting the flywheel machined may not be a bad 100 to spend then you know the new clutch will seat properly and not cause other issues like chattering ect. just my professional opinion.

would hate to see you do for a third time but look on the bright side you will an expert pulling and reinstalling by the time your done.:thumb:

I agree. As a mechanic I know there are no shortcuts with a clutch. Seeing as they are so cheap nowdays I always install a new throwout bearing, pilot bearing/bushing, pressure plate and disc. And I usually get the flywheel turned by my buddy.

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

if bigdirty gets the right clutch set it should come with the throw out bearing and an alignment tool. the ones we have come with the whole package minus the slave and flywheel.

SwFL

Seaman Apprentice

I clicked on the thread thinking I was going to see like a little bayliner. I had no Idea they made these type of boats. I love the tent over top. On the living room all your missing is a giant 65" LED to go with that reciever/head unit. Wala it's a Theater room!

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

if bigdirty gets the right clutch set it should come with the throw out bearing and an alignment tool. the ones we have come with the whole package minus the slave and flywheel.

If you have a hydraulic slave thats inside the bellhousing, now is the time. Pain in the rear to pull a trans to swap that out when it springs a leak.

bigdirty

ok.. :rolleyes:

Normally, yes i would agree with you mechanics, BUT in this case, because Volkswagen decided to do EVERYTHING backarsewards, its not as simple as it would seam. ..for instance; the front engine/transmission/starter mount. yes, that's what i said. Its all held together by two bolts, going through everything.

Yes I got the flywheel machined (i would never put a new clutch on without doing that) for $75, which was a good deal... but the release bearing is a strange animal in this car.. its at the REAR of the trans, (operated by a cable/leaver) and literally pushes a ROD through the entire unit, through the center of the input shaft, and that pushes on a cone shaped disc that in turn pushes on the fingers of the pressure plate. Which is bolted to the crank. With the flywheel/ring gear bolted TO it. Yes, that is how they do...

To top it all off, the clutch i ordered was totally the wrong part, my VIN doesn't exist as far as VW can tell, and the part # on/measurments my clutch parts indicates it should be behind a gas motor, not a 1.9 turbo diesel...:facepalm:

you know... I would really rather be bitching about OMC designed outdrives or poor bayliner quality, or previous owner foul ups... :faint2:

And SwFL, thanks.. if i ever get to working on the boat again i will start posting something else.. lol.. and yup, they make even bigger bayliners too.. as for the Tv, already in the works :laugh: thinkin i will bring up my 42" flat screen from the basement appt... its not getting much use these days..

Last edited:

bigdirty

just cause I'm bored.. :laugh: and nothing better to do at the moment, some pics of my current 'car'nage in progress..amazing how much room a wee VW can take up...

Attachments

• 20131120_221032.jpg
    20131120_221032.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20131121_201458.jpg
    20131121_201458.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20131121_201519.jpg
    20131121_201519.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20131121_201546.jpg
    20131121_201546.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20131121_201606.jpg
    20131121_201606.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 3

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

VW clutch. Yes I agree its an abomination, but they do last a very long time. Lots of hot spots on the PP as well. I do have to admit in my beater cars I do the absolute minimum to keep them on the road. In fact my Caravan has many different colors of fluids leaking at the moment. Never buy a car from a mechanic!
I don't know if you can buy a combined clutch set for an old VW diesel, and part by part its gets expensive in a hurry.
I also think it's time for a veggie conversion. :)

Last edited:

bigdirty

ya, I'm a machinist, not to far off :laugh: done my share of hack fixes... this is just 'a car' to me, long as it gets me to work and town for basics, I'm good. Oh, and to the marina of course :) Yes, this one would have lasted another 100+k i'm sure, if not for my stupidity.. :facepalm: I've thought about a veggie convo, but that would mean spending more time and $ on a car I'm sick of working on, and barely has enough 'umph' to get out of its own way.. 74 horse.. yah... but it still gets pretty good mileage as it is... and only 176k on her right now, maybe if I hit 400 and it starts getting 'tired'... :rolleyes:

VW wanted $220 just for the friction disk, $380 for the whole clutch kit, two days to ship to me.. found an aftermarket kit for $250, got it same day. (pp, friction disk, release bearing, stupid metal disk and clip-ring.. no alignment tool though.. buggers... good thing I have digital vernier calipers at home!) Funny thing... My clutch is now an 'Argentinian/European' made part #, that should be behind a GAS motor, from 1994... whatever, I don't care if its for a friggin LAWNMOWER at this point; it looked right, measured right, fit right, AAAAAAnd 4 hours (and a beer or 6) later its all back together and seams to be working well.. road test tomorrow, and go get some power steering fluid (a line I disturbed has started leaking... meh) but i'm DONE with this car for now.. ON TO THE BOAT!!!!! :D

Last edited:

bigdirty

yeahhh.... um, I really gota stop saying stuff like that out loud, with the car within earshot.. :facepalm: this aint over yet... I've hijacked my own post over in the non boating tech forum, I don't think its right or fair to keep up this vehicular nonsence in my poor bayliners thread :laugh:

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

What did ya do now lol. Cars cant really hear you unless you have herbie the love bug lmao

bigdirty

..... Cars cant really hear you unless you have herbie the love bug lmao

ya right, i got one worse than that.. think its more like "Harriette the horrible b!tc4 jetta"... (shhh... shes outside in the driveway for now...)
I dont think she likes the boat... keeps breaking and forcing me to pay her more attention... :ballchain:

Last edited:

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

haha all i can think of is the movie christine lmao

where did ya get your clutch set from if you dont mind me asking

bigdirty

Ya, it certainly has a 'personality'... :distrust:

Got it from a local independent parts supplier, Hillsdale truck and auto. (about 20 mins drive from my house, little town called Hillsdale.. imagine that :p ) They are really good for pricing, 99% of the time they can get stuff SAME DAY, and did a lot of digging and leg work to help me out with this car/parts fiasco..wish they did marine stuff too.. :rolleyes:

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

you be way way up north ehh
ive been to Borden and wasaga beach nice area up there

bigdirty

you be way way up north ehh
ive been to Borden and wasaga beach nice area up there

Yup, it is nice.. in the summer :laugh: when i can go boating.. Dont ski or have a snowmobile, and I have some nerve damage in my fingers and hands now, from too many years of working on stuff out doors in the cold.. (frostbite sucks :cold:) so winter is not my favorite time of year.