Worthwhile project?: 22' Waconda Tri-Hull jet boat

FastForward

Recruit
Ok, so I ran across this and it's looking pretty appealing to me but I wanted the ideas of people who really know what they're talking about. I'll just paste the actual add text along with some pictures.<br /><br />"The boat is in pretty good shape besides needing cleaned and seats. The pump was smashed a couple years ago and the boat sat. The motor is a 455 HO olds motors and it would get the boat up to about 65 on the water it has not been ran in about 1.5 years I turned it over but it would not spark (it has a points distributer so the points are more then likely bad) it ran great before the pump got broke. I have a jacuzi jet pump that will work if you cut the whole to fit and I will through that in for $300. It comes on a nice calkins trailer and they both have titles."<br /><br />
sA1OGLmCVVwoBy78XTf0QbuxcJJN.jpg
yVSwvH7LKAp8bVu0wWT8tocSvM8A.jpg
SUt3cIcM9JTGDGiBe1733YGWluus.jpg
jGFn0kPLVvAilAVa651FI06uWW9X.jpg
<br /><br />Ok, first off he's lowered the price to $500 for the boat and $200 for the pump which he says in another ad of his is a 12J which means nothing to me. I've logged enough wrench time over the years that the motor doesn't bother me. Also, I run a small fiberglass/plastics shop so any glass work that the boat might need is no problem. But, I'm still a boat newbie, especially on a jet boat so any other thoughts? Does this sound like a reasonable project and a good deal?<br /><br />Also, how shallow of areas can I be able to expect to get into with this boat? What kind of speed do you think it will take to get a boat this size to plane out, etc.?<br /><br />Anyway, thanks for reading all this. I'd appreciate any advice at all. I just discovered this forum a month or so ago when I goet my first boat (14' Glastron tri-hull, 25hp Gale) and this place has been a great help :)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Worthwhile project?: 22' Waconda Tri-Hull jet boat

You dont want a jet pump for getting into shallow waters... You'll suck up rocks and hear a noise you dont want to hear. Even jet flea manufacturers reccomend at least 6' of water before starting. :)

FastForward

Recruit

Ok, gotcha. Thanks for the reply. Anyone else have any thoughts on this boat?

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like it needs an aweful lot of work. The seats condition tells me it's sat out in the sun and rain for quite a while which could lead to lots of rot underneath. The motor might or might not run and the pump is toast. If I had the time and money to throw at that boat I'd only do it if I really liked it and if it was free to begin with. Even then you're looking at thousands of dollars to make it nice. IF the engine is OK the boat is only worth the value of the engine.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree with CalicoKid but I didnt want to say it as I'm far from being an expert and I don't know your desire for a project. Besides who am I to talk.. I cut a perfectly good canoe in half :p

Purebreed

Seaman Apprentice

I saw the exact same model minus the windsheild by my house for sale and the guy was asking $2500.00. I never got close enough to see the condition but it looked OK. Sounds like it could be fun. Tri-hull boats run hard on the water. You will be sore in any type of chop. Low speed stability is the upside.

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stop and consider what type of boat you want first. I had a tri hull and loved it for fishing. Hated it for skiing and tubing. <br />Purebreed is right.<br />
Tri-hull boats run hard on the water. You will be sore in any type of chop. Low speed stability is the upside. <br />
Check to see if the "jacuzi" pump is really compatable before buying that along with the boat. It sounds "fishy" to me. If you like the boat and are willing to put the money and time in it. Go for it. <br /><br />You might want to check the boat out first and see for yourself what you are going to need to do to it.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Hi again, I just wanted to say that I didn't mean to come off as pessimistic about the boat, just very cautious. Before tackling a big restoration (and from here that's what it looks like, but it's hard to tell from a few pics) you'd better be sure that you really like the boat and want to devote the time. Good luck to ya if you take it on, and if you pass for a different opportunity then good luck in that case also!<br /><br />Calico