Bimini made from PVC tubing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander
I have an idea for a top using two inch schedule 40 PVC tubing to make a standing room high top for a 16 foot Starcraft, the latest addition to the fleet<br /><br />I need to find a clear primer (not purple) and a clear cement (not orange) of course, since Im just going for a little grab and not water tight seals I could go light on primer and glue and hope neither get seen<br /><br />velcro fasteners would make the white tarp material top come right off if it got windy or what have you, and the bare poles should take a 70 mph tow<br /><br />What do you guys think? <br /><br /> :confused:

Jcrain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bimini made from PVC tubing?

I used to have a neighbor that built all sorts of things with PVC, kid's playhouses, and such. I remember a small shed like frame he built and covered with a cheap blue tarp from Harbour Freight to store his lawn mower and kid's bikes in. These things he built lasted forever except he never di figure out that they had to be anchored down up here in N.Tex in the spring. He'd go off and retrieve them after a windstorm but they held up forever.<br /> I like the idea, and most pvc connectors, ie, 90's, Tee's etc Will hold together pretty well with out glue, allowing you to break it down when not in use. For example, across a top rail, glue the 90's on each end across the top, but leave the uprights unglued. WHen you assemble it, let the tightness of the cover itself hold yhe unglued joint together.

Moody Blue

Captain

Try acetone as a "glue". It should melt the plastic joint together and is virtually invisible. Don't use too much.

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

I made my bimini top from 1/2" electrical conduit. I would have liked to bend the corners, but I used conduit fittings. I sewed long pockets in a blue tarp and ran the conduit through those. Be sure to securely tie the top in place. I first used bungee cords and the top whipped all over.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

There are clear glues available. Look for the multi media glue, the ones good for PVC, ABS, and others are clear. At least the cans in my workshop are.<br /><br />BTW, ABS is much lighter than PVC, but it is black. You probably don't need two inch. I just made a "saw horse" to support the winter tarp for my boat out of 1.5" PVC. It is plenty strong.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

hey gspig and Mark42-<br />those are both interesting projects...any pics you can share?<br /><br />thanks!

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

I've been meaning to take some pics. Maybe I'll try tommorrow.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

isnt abs the flexible stuff? I wanted to use the stiff stuff, thought it was sched 40<br /><br />thanks for the info!

Moody Blue

Captain

One thing I forgot to mention. I used 3/4" copper pipe for the frames. It fits perfectly into the standard bimini hardware and looks great with a coat of paint. I used the heavy walled type L instead of the thin walled type M. Lots of fittings to choose from, its easy to work with and its cheap.

Hello new to boating. Love to come up with ideas had to make a top on the fly maybe you can get some ideas from it

Attachments

• photo311878.png
    photo311878.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • photo311879.jpg
    photo311879.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.