homemade 2 man pontoon boat quest

alden135

Lieutenant Commander
Re: homemade 2 man pontoon boat quest

If you keep looking, I'm sure you could pick up a 8-10 ft jon or skiff for $100 or less. I've never paid more than $500 for any boat. You just need to be patient and thorough in your search. Good luck.

one more cast

Captain

I built one one time and used 4) 55 gal. plastic drums. It had a 4'x8' deck that sat between the drums(not on top of them). It looked kind of like an upside down picnic table without legs and would easily hold 4 adults and was very stable.I built seats on top of the barrels. The problem was the weight. If I was to build another one I would use conduit and make the barrel cages hinged so I could fold them up and use straps or chains to hold the drums in place for easy removal.

aspeck

Staff member

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> how many empty 2-liter soda bottles would it take, I wonder. wait, you're going to LSU...we'll have to find a beer that comes in plastic bottles. I have seen vodka in plastic bottles...should have plenty by the end of pledge week...
I did see an article a couple years back of a guy who lives on an "island" made of 2 liter bottles. Seems he holds them together with netting, then he brought dirt in and put over top the bottles, planted trees, built a house, etc. Anchored it in a lagoon and presto - his own personal island paradise.<br /><br />So the boat out of bottles may not be so far-fetched afterall!

trebor0301

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You say you dont have enough truck bed for a jon boat.You also seem determined to build something or modify a boat to fit your truck.LOL! Why don't you design a rack for your truck to hold a small boat.You can even just go out and buy one.There is a way you could also put the boat or canoe in the bed and rest the boat on the roof of your cab.just tie it down securely.Heck I've tied a 16ft.canoe on top of a vw bug with no problem.PS- dont try shortening a jon boat to fit they are designed that way for a reason.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It sounds like you are wanting to build something. Why not pick up a set of plans and build yourself a small good looking boat? <br /><br />How about something like this small skiff? It is a little over 11' long and has a 4' beam. It is easy to build and the materials cost is not that high. Build time is probably 2 weekends of part-time work. It is light weight and you could easily put in the back of your truck (I stick one in the back of my minivan). <br /><br /> http://boatplans-online.com/proddetail.php?prod=FL12 <br /><br />That company also has a lot of other small boat plans.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How about a cheap inflatable? Deflated it will fit in your truck. I think Sevylor makes a 4 man, which would fit 2 comfortably. Think I've seen em for around 2 bills.

olbuddyjack

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm partial to the one pictured in aldens first post. It apears to be a proven design.(he aint wet)

trebor0301

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I say Jack is right on track.How about using that college education and designing one with mucho horsepower!!! LOL!!!!!

nort

Recruit

You can also download the free plans for the D-4 from http://boatplans-online.com. It's about 8' long and 4' wide. It will fit in the back of a minipickup with no problems. Build it as a small skiff and not as a sailboat. You can row it or beef up the transom and use a tolling motor or small outboard. There are also some slightly larger prams with plans for sale there. It also has a very good support board when building their designs.

longdude17

Seaman

sorry fellas i forgot to tell yall that i am super senior majoring in mechanical engineering here at lsu, so i like to try and make things as simple as possible and yeah i guess your right fishingdan, i guess i was unknowingly looking for something to build well not really build but i guess its more in my nature to modify things to fit the situation. i guess thats why i had the crazy idea on a two man pontoon boat! i think it would be a cool idea though if it wouldnt cost so much. The reason why i want a small two man boat is that i am one of the lucky people, as in my girlfriend actually loves to fish more than me, and since motors are not allowed in the lakes, i figured it would be cool to have a new cool design that she could could help me build. she likes that sort of stuff and actually comes up with some pretty good ideas herself. I think that us building something like this would be fun for the two of us. Plus its always cool to say that you and your old lady built the rig. the only catch is money... as fishing dan had mentioned i did pick up on ebay a set of plans for a 8ft wooden pram, but i am not to fond of it. it is based on the stitch and glue method. I have used this method many times in school proj, but the epoxy is rather expensive. Well school has started so fishing will be limited to the weekends but i still have a few tricks up my sleeve... I am currently thinking of modifying aldens first idea. Well now yall know my reasons for the proj. so what yall think? what would be a cool cheap proj not to mention cool looking and fun to build?

gdburch

Cadet

Tin boat two <br />your formula is close but not quite right. First water weighs 62.4 pounds per cubic foot. or about 8.3 pounds/gal. 2nd you figured the volume of the tubes not the area. ie cubic feet not square feet.<br /><br />Using the first part of your formula ie 7.85 cuft * 62.4 lb/cuft = 489.84 lbs water displaced or with 489.84lbs on top of one tube the tube will be just under the surface. Well pretty close anyways.<br /><br />Longdude17<br />Somewhere I saw plans for a boat styled like a Zodiac built out of black plastic culvert but I can't remember where. I do agree with everyone that it would be easier and probably cheaper to buy a cheap boat and go fishing. If you do decide to build let us know how it works out.

MortenH

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello longdude!<br />How about an extended "alden design". Twice the lenght with two chairs back to back attached? <br /><br />-M-

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Plans for stitch & glue pontoons for home-made pontoon boat

toolman911965

Recruit

a cubic foot of water is approx. 7 gallons at 8 pounds per gallon at 10 feet times two is approx. 879 pounds displaced.

fletcher123

Seaman

Hi,

I have been considering this also for awhile and might still do it. my design was going to be 7'x12'. the pink owen foam is suppose to hold up anywhere from from 50-60 lbs per sqft. my toons were going to be roughly 20"x20" by 12ft. there is plans i found that was very similar of what i was planning to do. They are on the net published in popular mechanics mag from 1968 the plans are called "parti-o". I found 2 different plans similar but 1 was made to disassemble to be able to haul on top of your car or truck. Here is some links..............http://books.google.com/books?id=jd...........................................looks like i didn't bookmark the other one. hope this helps. you can also see the pic of pontoon that it sits a little bit in water but i don;t think they had the owens pink stuff back then or closed cell insulation board so it should be more out of water (draft) and be able to hold more weight/flotation then what the article states. you really don't need to seal the toons if using that foam because closed cell does not absorb water or .1 percent. my calculations were almost 1000 lbs per toon so even if you ripped one off it still would keep you floating with the other one.

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i was going to say but it already was, that size pvc is not cheap. it's also sch 40(thick stuff) the caps would be a few$ also. you could look at CL for 10 ft jonboats prob 150.00. the prob is the flat bottoms don't have much freeboard. and seem to load up fast as far as weight goes