My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Very nice ! I'm interested in how you do the darts .. I see you basically clamped the extra material then marked the stitch line . It gets cut then stitched from the back side ? I guess I need to watch the video ... I really need to make a cover for the MFG . Just need some extra time . LOL !

Thanks All for the props. Sam, pretty much, mark them on the outside, transfer the lines to the inside. Stitch the line, top stitch the flap from the top side creating a semi felled seam. You can then cut off the excess. Sailright says you dont need to cut off if there small darts.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Don't forget the "Wrestling Match"!!!!:D;)

WoG is correct....I dont have a nice super large surface to work on like Sailrites shop.... it is a bunch of material to wrestle around!!!

So far Im pretty happy with the cover, all pleats are stitched, all but 3 abrasion pads are done. (I missed them the first time) I need to cover the vents, cut the holes and stitch the screen/ vent covers on. It is ready for the skirt and tie down to b sewn on as well.

here I Stitched 1 in nylon webbing from port o starboard.....wanted additional strength here. Normally Im better at straight lines, but this is result of wrestling all the material.

Most of these wrinkles will come out with the tie down straps...

One of the sew in vents...

Have a good evening.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Looking really good !
I'll bet it was wrestle mania for sure ! :lol: Thats a boat load of material !

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah IF you're gunna do a lot of this type work you need to make something like this...
SewingStation.jpg

Some of you remember JDA (The Judge) and his upholstery exploits. When I visited his shop a few years back, he had two of these side by side He made his from the White Fiberboard panels and 2x4's. Sure made handling Pontoon boat covers easy!!!;)

Not very practical unless you have a dedicated shop Each station takes up about a 3ft by 12ft area.:rolleyes:

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Being a new guy here, just read through some of this rebuild. Impressive, and nicely done. Giving me some more inspiration for mine!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Welcome Crazyfinn, glad it is helping you!! Couldn't have done it with out the guys on this forum!

Mike, I would love that kind of work table, but I dont think Jen would approve!!!

Thanks Sam... I am wore out!! Keep waiting for Macho Man to come off the top rope!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, Wives kinda have a way of keeping us in Line!!! Like I always say, Good thing I'm NOT your neighbor...We'd both be in BIG TROUBLE ALL the Time!!!!:facepalm::pound:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lots of stitching today...Almost done, skirt, all abrasion pads, vents, shock cord and upper tied downs complete... have the other half of the tie downs to make and put in the pole support gussets.

Straps..

Happy New Year IBoats!!!

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow!! I thought your boat building skills were great! Well done! It looks better than the one my wife bought me for the Islander that didn't last the first winter in the Florida panhandle. On return we got only a ten percent credit. I'm sure I saw what you're using for a sewing machine,but don't recall. We have a fair amount of upholstery coming up. What do you recommend? Happy New Year! Cheers!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well here is the finished product.....

For the most part Im fairly happy with my first cover. The pole placement is critical. The forward one really needs to be 6-10 ' further forward. But I think it will shed water like a ducks you know what!!

Happy New year!!

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Happy New Year. Great looking boat and cover. That machine is the bomb. I am still sewing with an inherited Singer. Good machine but needs a longer stich lenghth.