My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

Totally agree with the knee stringer...
I don't think you have to go to the trouble of making a dado for them...once glassed and tabbed they will become one solid structure...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I agree with GT on the dado. What would work best if you could run some stainless steel screws through the transom from the back side into the knees. The connection between the knee and the transom will be in tension at the top and compression at the bottom from the outboards torque. The screws could really beef up the connection at the top. That might be feasible if you are popping the top, I can't remember what your plan is on that. Also if you did that, you could work out a lap joint between the stringers and knees, use some stainless screws there, then glass it all up. That would be pretty stout....but its easier to talk about it than to actually make it happen!

Last edited:

friderday

Chief Petty Officer

by week means that team doesn't play this week

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey All, busy day........and even managed to get some boat work done!!! Hopefully split the last rick of fire wood, installed a new garage door opener then Finally the boat.

Fabricated first sections of main stringers ( Stringer to transom interface)(19/32nd thick plywood)

IMG_20131103_152239_657_zps6a1a02fd.jpg

IMG_20131103_160405_748_zps393c07af.jpg
I cut one of the 2 pieces 8 inches shorter than the other to form the half lap joint for the next section of stringer.......

IMG_20131103_152302_482_zpse61908df.jpg

My favorite Lil honey helping the old man out!!!!

IMG_20131103_160454_816_zpsfce48694.jpg

Dont know if any body is looking for one, but the Tractor supply here has these on sale.....175,000 BTU's, should keep my 3 bay garage nice and toasty this winter!!!!!!!!

IMG_20131103_163204_365_zps2ba914cf.jpg

Hope you all had a good week end and a short week ahead of you!!!

Last edited:

Trooper82

Commander

Good bit of progress today...those came out looking nice too!

jbcurt00

Staff member

What's propane run out your way?

I've got a couple 125K BTU heaters & a 20lb tank lasts 8hrs MAX on 1, turned as low as they'll go... But yep, each one heats up a 20 X 40 space pretty good in 10min or less.... I refill at a propane distributor so I only pay for what they put into my tanks. I rotate 4 tanks between 2 heaters. Last winter it was $65+/- per day to refill 2tanks.... Almost every day.....

Nice to have extra hands on deck for the stringer work :)

If you can, I'd suggest more overlap at the splice. 8" would probably be about right for a scarf joint (1:8 or 1:10), but I'd prefer more on a lap joint. The end grain at the lap is a difficult joint to glue, and is a weak point, compared to the continuous slope of a scarf joint.

Else fab work & carpentry looks great.... You got a real good fit at the transom at that stringer knee..

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, just ordered my glass supplies, 1708, matt, resin and cabosil.....Ouch, that stung the old wallet a bit.....

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey guys, made a little headway today........got both the long stringers made kind of......

LH stringer, glued up, clamped up and screwed...

Right hand...getting ready to put all the clamps on

After they both dried, I smoothed and sanded, then I had a piece of the old stringer to shape the contour. by this time, Im thinking man this is going pretty well. I decided to bevel the interface edge, messed around for 20 minutes getting the angle just right. set up the saw, and went for it. put the stringer back in to see my handy work....man this fits like a glove!! Dang im good I think. Lets zip the bevel other one. set it in and ...ARE YOU FRIGGIN KIDDING ME.... BLEEP, BLEEP, SON OF A BLEEPITY BLEEP!!!!!!! WHAT THE BLEEP WERE YOU THINKING!!!!!!! I cut the dang angle the same way on both stringers!!!! Should have been an opposite, not mirror image!!!

This is where I told the kids, pack up your bikes, Dad is done in the garage today!!

I do believe I will have a beverage (adult kind) and try to figure out how to keep the voodoo and chicken bones out of my garage tomorrow!!!! Hope you all have a good night....

Guess I will make a new one tomorrow...... at least I have a very nice template to use in the morning!!! Dammit man!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

No problem.....I have had this happen, measure 10000000 times, cut and it is still wrong. Just add it to the pile......bond fire pile :D Have lots of frosty beverages tonight, re-measure and re-cut after a pot or so of coffee tomorrow!

Trooper82

Commander

Yup, been there and done that..one of those DOH!!!! moments :)

It will be better tomorrow...

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry Corjen....but you know the old saying, "Man plans...God laughs." It is truly amazing how many times it happens...just like archbuilder says...measure 1000 times and it is still cut wrong. Good luck, you will do better later.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I do stuff like that all the time. And my neighbors know immediately what happened ... the screams can be heard up'n down the block.

Though I have managed to refrain from throwing tools. Threw a claw hammer on the floor one day'n it landed on one'a the claws. The claw broke off'n came back'n sliced my eyelid open. Could just as well been my eyeball?

Moral: Swear all ya wan't but don't throw tools.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys, good to know Im not the only one!! V153, Ive done the same thing, but got it in the eye!!!

Did get some forward progress today....

After I remade the stringer..

For the temp cross braces, just cut a couple datos at the correct width...

Thats it for today....hope you have a short week!!!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well.....got in trouble with the boss....all my glass supplies arrived today!!!! Conveniently forgot to tell her that I ordered it......I know what its like when she is mad at me, and Im familiar with the couch......this is not a divorce-able offense. On the other hand....WOOHOO, my glass supplies are here!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you get some 12" flexible Insulation duct you can set that heat outside the garage and duct the heat in under the door and not worry about the flames setting off the fumes. Check CL for a 110# propane tank. I got one for my set up. Cost me 60 bucks for the tank. It holds 60 gals of Propane. Lasts me about 5 - 8 hour days.

Trooper82

Commander

Supplies? Yaahoo! Lets get the itchin going :)

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey guys, Im trying to figure something out...when I got the boat, the entire floor and stringers were rotten/gone. Now that I am replacing them, Im struggling to visualize what should have been there. Here is the one Im wrestling with at the moment.....

Ill try to orient you some... In this shot, looking aft at transom/bilge drain bowl, left and right side are what was left of the main stringers that I just made. Center bottom of the pix it what was left of a butt line zero stringer. I have no idea how tall this should be....

Here you can see it a bit better.....the one on left side of pix...

It appears that it intersected a cross brace between the two main stringers.... to the right (or forward) of this cross brace is the floor of the ski locker.....

The question is, do you think the BL 0 stringer and the cross brace should be as tall as the 2 main stringers and be supportive of the deck floor? or only the cross brace the same height as the stringers with the BL 0 stringer being shorter and just for hull strength?

Hope I provided enough info for the question....as always thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

Auger01

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would make the center stringer same height as the outer ones. No reason not to. It will make for a stiffer floor and hull.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Auger01, kinda what im thinking as well

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

hmmm how about some video? That would help out a bunch, its hard for me to tell from the pics.

By the way, get one of these....I bought one and put the bullet heaters in the attic. Mr. Heater Big Maxx? Propane Garage/Workshop Heater ? 80,000 BTU, Model# MHU80LP | Propane Garage Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment I have one of the 100# tanks, usually fill it 2 or 3 times a winter. Its amazing how much money a thermostat will save you. The bullets are a pain, you are either cold (when they are off) or sweating your *** off when they are on. With one of these, you set the thermostat and focus on the project not the heater!