My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

Glad to hear you scored this engine...these are thirsty little buggers, but man have they got some torque...and arch is 100% correct, they have attitude...:cool:
The broken chunk of skeg is no big deal, you can get a stainless steel repair piece to put on there when you are ready...
Like has been mentioned, get a good manual for it and use it to do all the basic maintenance procedures...if you can get your hands on a Factory manual, those are the best, a distant second choice are the Seloc manuals...that's what I have for mine, and while they are decent, nothing is ever gonna compare with the original manufacturer manual...

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh the old tower of power, i grew up in front of one of the same era as that, that is where my boat obsession started

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have that exact motor with the same control box. The up button on the T/T is for in the water; it lets you trim out without worrying about raising the engine too high, as it only lets you go up to a point. The trailer button will let you raise it all the way up, but it won't take it all the way up with one press of the button; you have to hold it.

As others have mentioned, it's a great, classic motor. My only complaint is how fast it drinks gas :)
If you run premium gas (unless you can find ethanol-free) and decarb it annually, it'll last you a very long time.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

You won't care how much gas it drinks, nothing smells like fresh burnt 2 stroke oil early in the morning!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got her put on an Iboats special......

Have a good night....

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A little motor progress today, I decided to mount controls and trim pump on the iboats engine stand for when it time to start the ol girl.

And I have a few questions for you guys...

Decided to hook up the lines and service the pump/pistons, and see if they work. After a couple hours of bleeding by hand, I decided to try the motor...(jump start off the selonoids) amazingly enough, they work!!

So going up and down, there seems to be a dead spot half way in the travel, both ways. The motor will stop, but restart again. it is also very noisy ( squeals every now and then) Are they prone to failures? readily available? I guess I could have it rebuilt, there is a small electric motor place here in town.

Next question....relates to quick silver controls. it appears that im missing the boat to control harness, I think it should plug in here....

What do you think?? How do I fiqure out what harness I need??

Also, I took it apart (back plate) and removed the switch to see if I could find a number on the housing of the ignition switch in order to get a replacement key.....couldnt find a number any where. Am I looking in the wrong spot?

Thank again for any help....

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Mine has the later model built in pump motor. Does it have tilt and trim? Mine kind of lags when it goes from the trim to tilt and it makes a noise that is like a "creak" that I have never figured out. If I recall correctly, there is a plug that goes in the back of the controls that is related to the tilt / trim.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I think this is the right one....there are a couple different models

wiringdiagram001.jpg

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Perfect, thanks Arch!!

SAT_Bob

Seaman

Awesome job on the stand. I made the same one and mounted the controls like you did.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Little bit of glassing today....

Cut some PVC in half to make water travel path through this bulkhead...

I will cut out these arches and PB the pvc in place, then glass over them, let cure and grind out the cured fiberglass

Here are the stringers and aft bulkhead with a skim coat and 1.5 oz csm cap. after this cures, ill put a layer on the sides, then ready to be PL'd to the hull along with transom.

Thats it for today, sounds like storms here this afternoon and tonight, have to get the garage picked up so I can get the vehicles inside!! I hate hail dents!!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks like you are making progress! I just shuffled some things around in the part of my barn that still has the roof to get Miss Morgan in. I had enough "severe" weather last year, finally got the dents in my truck fixed a few weeks ago! Let me know if you need anything else, I have the manual on your motor.

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

corjen how did you bleed the hydraulics i cant remember if my manual ever told me about bleeding them

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Excellent progress!
Before you PB the sections of PVC to the stringers, rough up the outside with a dremel or something to give them as much of a mechanical grip as possible...otherwise, if you leave them smooth, with the positioning and what not, they could pop out...
Here is a pic of what I am talking about...

Last edited:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

corjen how did you bleed the hydraulics i cant remember if my manual ever told me about bleeding them

Banshee, I suspended the motor in the up position, (with a chain hoist) filled the reservoir and cracked the lines at the cylinders until oil came out. Then I started "bumping" the "up" solenoid to get some pressure in the cylinders, cracked the bleeder screw (standard/slot screw) in the center/top of cylinders until I didnt get any more air/bubbles.
Same operation for the down position, but the bleeder screw is just below the press/return lines going into the cylinders. once i had no air, I ran the motor full up and down many times and kept checking the reservoir level.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

GT, Thanks...Great idea!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

hey Guys, need some advice and guidance..... here is the aftermath of my stringer glassing this weekend. I dont know what happened or what to do differently....

when this was wetted out, everything was transparent, lots of resin, worked and worked bubbles. Kept it in the garage, no sun light.....the only thing I can guess is that I mixed it too cold......5 or 6 cc's to a pint. The instructions with the resin says @ 70 deg, 11 cc's to a quart. I am halving it to try and conserve.....only mixing a pint at a time....could the plywood be wicking it away from the glass? I don know, any ideas???

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

As the temps go down, the MEKP goes UP, and for sure not in half. My guess is it took so long to cure that the CSM lifted and got air behind them.

Grind off, and just apply CSM & resin.

Trust me, USE the metric system. 100units of resin takes 1-2units of MEKP

and remember 1 cc = 1 ml

So for 100cc's of resin, you'd use 1 to 2ml of MEKP

Where ever you bought your resin, you should have gotten enough MEKP to use 2% for the entire resin volume.