Can I achieve the same quality rolling as spraying with Gel coat??

Jquest

Petty Officer 1st Class
Some idiot hit my boat on the pier the other day. He scratched my coat. Basically went down to the fiberglass. About a 5 inch scratch(gouge)and another one more or less. I've filled in both of them. And since I've done this....I decided to take care of a couple of other nics.<br />Now...to my question.<br />Can I achieve the same quality rolling on gel coat as spraying it? I have a friend who knows how to shoot it cause he worked in the business for several years shooting hauls, but I think it's a little too much trouble to set it all up - to shoot it. Can I achieve the same results by rolling the gelcoat onto the area I want to fix. Then sand it down with 400 and finally to 600. After that....3m rubbing compound with a buffer, followed by waxing it.

m1rodrig

Seaman
Re: Can I achieve the same quality rolling as spraying with Gel coat??

Not sure what technique tengals 123 used, but the paint sure is glossy. I don't think he sprayed it, he rolled & tipped. Check out his project page he is doing an awesome job.

Jquest

Petty Officer 1st Class

Could you please link me?

Jquest

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOW!! alot of love went into that boat. Thx for sharing?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You don't need to spray the gel coat, you can just brush on a few coats until the area is filled. Gel coat doesn't flow and level the same as paint, so don't expect the same results. It will take a little longer to sand, but the results good.

Jquest

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by ondarvr:<br /> You don't need to spray the gel coat, you can just brush on a few coats until the area is filled. Gel coat doesn't flow and level the same as paint, so don't expect the same results. It will take a little longer to sand, but the results good.
That's the answer I was looking for. Ok...here's another. The mixture. I have one pint of gelcoat. I have a small bottle (1/2ounce ) of hardner and a small bottle of Wax ( about 1/2 ounce). More or less...what are the mixing levels? And should I add a little acetone to the gelcoat if it is a little too thick? I read on tip on the net that it has to be thinned enough were if you run a brush through it...it will smooth out again.

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

Adding wax to the gel coat is 4 oz per gal.Hardner,that depends on outside temps.You will not be using all that hardner.<br />Tape around the repair area,sand out the area,flaring it.Fill it in with fiberglass filler if needed.then add your gel coat.Note* if you need to color it,you can buy color agent to do so.Pour some gel coat into something for mixing,add color agent,less then a drop at a time,take a stick,dab it on the hull.Note* not in the area were the repair is taking place,clean off dab areas with acetone when finish.Once you have a match,add your hardner as needed.Now comes the tricky part,know of those clear plastic folders?Have one of those,cut a piece big enought to over lap the repair area.Once you apply the gel coat,cover it with that plastic,run a plastic blade over to force out any air and let the gelcoat cure.You will not need wax added to the gel coat if you do it that way.<br />For gel coat to cure,one must void any air that comes in contact with it,that is why wax is added.<br />You might have to repeat your gel coating process a few times,just sand a little in between coats.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Adding acetone won't help with this repair, you want it to stay put after you brush it into the scratch. catalyze the gel coat at 2%, I use small plastic calibrated cups and a calibrated eye dropper. You can get these at some drug stores, or at marine supplie stores.

flashback

Captain

If all your doing is some small scratches, I have had good results spraying the gelcoat with a portable air brush kit, it is powered by an aresol can. folks use them for painting model planes an such. you can get them at walmart, target, hobby shops etc.. cost about 20 bucks, make sure you thin the gelcoat with styrene, not acetone... :D good luck...

Good questons and answers! Works for me too!

Jquest

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow!! great education guys. Thanks for all the comments and suggestion. Now I believe I have a real good knowledge of what to do and not to do.<br /><br />prockvoan,<br />What do I do with the excess gelcoat that gets squeezed out. Wipe it off the edges and tape the ends of the plastic to the haul so it stays over the gelcoat while it cures??<br /><br />Flashback,<br />I thought about that method ,but I read some warning labels and did some searches on the net. <br />In order to use "styrene" I would need a mask system cause the fumes from that may cause brain damage. At least that's what all the searches and warning labels say. Sorry!! But something that causes brain damage is not for mua. :(

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If you use plastic over the gel coat, wax the area around the repair so the excess gel coat doesn't stick to the hull, or you will need to sand it off. Just don't get any wax on the areas you have sanded and want it to stick. After it has cured you can just flick it off the excess with a putty knife. You will need to apply a couple coats of wax on old gel coat. Rain X will work also. You can also use masking tape around the area and let the excess sit on top of it.<br /><br />The gel coat will hold the plastic in place until it cures, you won't need to tape it.<br /><br />This method works well on small repairs, but as they get larger the surface may get lumpy and then require extra sanding.<br /><br />There is already styrene in gel coat, but short term exposure isn't a problem. Besides you already have brain damage, you like boats.