10 ft. lenght plywood

labzman3

Seaman
Hello all,<br /> Giving the interior of my boat some TLC,, now that the weather is starting to break ! Pulled my drivers side,,side panel off,, to replace torn vynil and wood was starting to seperate. After getting it in the basement and deciding where to start,, to my disappiontment,, the 1/2" exterior plywood measured over 9 1/2 ft. long !! Any ideas if anyone makes plywood in 10 ft. lenghts ??<br />I sure hate to have to put it back in after getting close !! BTW,, I live near the Akron,Ohio area,, if that helps !<br /><br /> Thanks !!<br />1985 Starcraft model 18HL<br />An oldie but still a goodie :)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: 10 ft. lenght plywood

I'd just look in your yellow pages under plywood. I'm sure you won't have any difficulty finding it. Price? your guess. Do not forget to soak it with epoxy before you reupholster it.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I don't know about 10' plywood, but you can always do a scarf joint...make it any lengtn you want... Chief

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I'll bite Chief - - What is/how do you do a scarf joint?

flashback

Captain

yep, I would go with chief,, just scarf a joint,,, if you are using half inch ply, then the scarf needs to be about 6 inchs long, use a router and make up a jig that will cut an angle on the ply for 6 inches, do the same to two pieces of ply and epoxy them together with clamps...

Moody Blue

Captain

Constuction ply is available in 5ft x 10ft sheets. Not cheap because it is a rare item. Not sure about marine grade availability. You will need to find a plywood distributor in your area. There are a number of them in the Toronto area but that doesn't help you. Home depot and the like won't carry it. I like the idea of a scarf joint.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Have you noticed how construction workers sometimes surround an office block with ply boards to protect pedestrians, that's B grade marine ply. In some cases they throw it out when they are finished building. Worth investigating.<br /><br />I found 15 sheets at the local dump (4' x 8' x 3/8").<br /><br />Aldo

Ken G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Labz - Save yourself a lot of time and money and make your side panels out of BCX plywood available locally. For the extra length use a butt joint with a plywood block glued and screwed on the back side. Give it a coat of paint and recover with your vinyl. It will look and work fine, and last a long time.<br /><br />My current project boat is a 1970 Starcraft. The side panels are ACX plywood with an aluminum strap backing up the butt joint. The top edge has a piece of aluminum trim. The exposed surface had a coat of paint and the back side was left natural. This boat had been sitting outside, uncovered, for a long time when I found it and the side panels are in pretty good shape. These are the original panels and they are 35 years old!

labzman3

Seaman

Well spent most of the day searching for this plywood,,, shhh ,, don't let my boss know !! So far can only get it in 3/4",, Kicking that idea around?? <br />Scarf joint,, would that also be called an overlap joint ?? If so,, I can do that here at home !! Any recommendations on coating it with fiberglass?? Just the resin correct?? And light on the hardener.. so I have time to roll/brush it out ?? Thanks for the help,,now have few more chioces to pick from !!<br /><br /><br /> Labzman3

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by labzman3:<br />Just the resin correct?? And light on the hardener.. so I have time to roll/brush it out ??
Not sure about polyester resin but if you are using epoxy, don't alter the catalyst, just get it poured out in a hurry. That will slow the cure time sufficiently to allow it to soak as much as it will. <br /><br />For spreading, Home Depot has some 9" rollers made for resin. They are pretty cheap and they are a good way to spread evenly and generously. Rolling tends to cause little bubbles so I always 'tip' it with a disposable 2 or 3" chip brush.

Realgun

Commander

Get a plastic putty knife about 5-6 inches wide. Pour a small puddle in th middle and then spread it aound. use a brush to get the edges.

Dryrot

Seaman Apprentice

I have bought marine grade ply in 12 ft. lenghts from lumber specialty stores in the SE states. They take 8ft. sheets and scarf them together at very high prices. It will be a lot cheaper to scarf your own.