67 Carlson V-Drive Race boat restoration

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 67 Carlson V-Drive Race boat restoration

That drive mounting can be welded !?
I have the older casale toploader with 1:1.17 gears (overdrive), V drive had water in it due to a leaking shift shaft, bearings are shot, the top gear looks ok but the one in the bottom might not. Reverse gears are missing/ taken out, i hope i can get my hands on a set somehow. Further it has all the hardware, adjustable trimplates and controll, gas pedal, nicson front and rear engine mounts and exhaust for a BBC, seats and (seized up) stearing. I started sanding off the paint to have it re flaked soon.
Engine i have to find later, first see if i can rebuild/use this v drive, impossible to get anny parts for it here in europe.

Did you find the Carlson ID plate behind the dash?
Frank

Last edited:

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Mine is a no reverse option most Vdrives in these boats are no reverse. The Bigger boats with Vdrives had a transmission of some sort to handle the reverse. Shoot a pic of your Vdrive and post it up. The shift lever is for engaging or disengaging the prop. My gearbox was not leaking in fact had 30 year old oil still in it. The gears were still good but a very high ratio setup for the circle track racing it used to do. I am getting a much lower set to be easier to use on the lake unless I end up doing nostolgia racing then I might need to put them back in. The center plate is just a sheet of 1/4" aluminum and could be welded but without bracing would just crack again and never would be as strong as a solid plate. So I am getting a replacement plate and going to install some bracing as well.

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Chris
View attachment 216925View attachment 216926Casale.jpg

This is the older style toploader with the gearbox. It once had the reverse option, I could see that the box has been opened before, the idler gear and reverse gear are taken out so only fW is still possible.
The idler gear (on the side cover) is missing and the gear on the outputshaft side.
Ive read that you sent your box to jjbeaver for a rebuild...Ive read that they make great prophaft release.
Frank

Last edited:

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah that is the old style box, mine is the split case. Yes he is recommending me get a prop release even though it would be out of place for the restoration it is a safety feature same with the bracing on the center mounting plate for the split case they didn't use that back when this was raced but for safety going to put it in while keeping it looking as period correct as possible. I haven't gotten it back from JJ yet. Money has been an issue lately.

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

I saw that the photos did not load...DSCN1077.jpgDSCN1109 K.jpg
I ve been thinking and reading the same about the prop release, jj has one that goes inplace of the propshaft connecting collar, ratchet style.. If you have some information about it from jj i might be intrested on one also.
I hope to have it on the water somewere next year..
Frank

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here s a photo of it 2013-10-18 13.19.49.jpg
Got it complete stripped and Im sanding off the red paint at the moment, lookin to reflake the top back to original, the bottom part is still in good condition, a little cleaning and buffing.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

It looks great. You have got the 4 seater version, but same exact boat. Do you have fuel tanks in yours? If you do could you shoot some pics and if not what are you planning to use. I have to get some made for mine. I don't have any information on the prop release. But give JJ a call he is a real great guy to meet and talk to as well.

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Frank, Since you are in Europe it may be hard to call JJ. Let me know if you need his email address. He has been in this sport for a long time. He is very well respected by the V-drive guys in the US and a great guy to deal with. I am fortunate that he is local to me.

Actually you can get his email from his contact page here.

http://www.beaverfab.com/

Last edited:

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the link Last Mohican!
Ill contact them/him when I need something. Do you run some kind of prop release?

Chris,
I do have both the gas tanks, there was still what once was fuel in both, smelly dirty and old.
Both are rusted inside from half way up, ill ordered a gallon of Fedox de-ruster..lets see what comes out.
They hold 10 gallon each, 20 gal. is not a lot of fuel for bb set up, for a circle track race guess it was enough.
If the tanks are not good I plan welding a new set out off stainless or aluminum.
You see on the pictures, left and right are mirrored. Tanks are 3ft in length, 10 inches high, 6 inches wide on the bottom and bout 8.5 inches wide at the top. Strange is that the fuel pick-up is in the front of the tanks and the ventilation in the rear, also the feeding lines are connected high at the stern by a T, so no balance flow between the two tanks. Could be to out-ballance the boat with different amounts of fuel in each tank?!

You all have a nice weekend !2013-11-09 12.38.00.jpg2013-11-09 12.38.11.jpg2013-11-09 12.38.27.jpg
Frank

Last edited:

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Matt thanks for the link I was going to post it but hadn't had a chance.

Frank Those tanks are about the size I was planning on building. My design should be 13-14 gallons each though. I have some older much larger aluminum tanks from another boat I am going to cut up and weld into the shape I need.

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the link Last Mohican!
Ill contact them/him when I need something. Do you run some kind of prop release?

No prop release for me. In fact, No props for me. LOL. My boats are jets. ;) JJ has done some other machine work for me though.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer
Frank nothing on the front here. Had a lot of complications on my life lately. I haven't gotten a chance to even get back with JJ on my Casale drive. I am planning on getting it back from him around Christmas and getting my motor into the machine shop about then too.

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

My project came to a sudden stop also due to issues but planning on pickin back up soon.
The Carlson is about ready..have to do exhaust hoses, gas lines, alternator, battery rack , throttle and shift linkage and get the seats back in. Biggest job ll be building a custom trailer to haul her...
I beleve if im right you have the original Vance trailer?

Attachments

• photo212573.jpg
    photo212573.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo212574.jpg
    photo212574.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 0