67 Carlson V-Drive Race boat restoration

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 67 Carlson V-Drive Race boat restoration

If'n I were you. And I wish I was, cuz I'd have a lot more money ... For time being I'd wet sand her'n shoot a coat of clear. Seriously. That thang's a time capsule. Nice find!
Not sure about the lot more money thing I am always on a shoestring budget. I just find good deals on things when I can.

LOL. That would be expensive.

Yeah it would have been but seems everything needs to go to him anyways going to give him a call today. I need to get the set screw for the Calgo Steering column and start pulling that out and see if the rudder is frozen or if its the cables or box.

Planning on clear coating it this weekend at least the top side. once all the hardware is removed will pull it off the trailer and flip it and clear coat the underside as well.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Bought the Clearcoat for it today. Going to work on protecting the hull this weekend.

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Take lots of pics. Cant wait to see a little progress.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

BTW Talked to JJ and going to send him the box to look over even if it needs a full rebuild he gave me a great price on it. And he gave me some suggestions on how to check the Calgo. He doesn't rebuild them but has worked with them in the past. He also is going to keep an eye out for a handle for the cav plate control.

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Great news. And not so great at the same time. There is a complete calgo that has a fresh rebuild for sale over on PB right now. He said who rebuilt it as well. Might be a good contact if you need a rebuild.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Great news. And not so great at the same time. There is a complete calgo that has a fresh rebuild for sale over on PB right now. He said who rebuilt it as well. Might be a good contact if you need a rebuild.

thanks Matt will look over there. I got two coats of clear on it today. Got the driveshaft off and the casale drive unbolted just having trouble getting the coupler off.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Here are the pics from what I got done this weekend.

The Gearbox was pulled and getting ready to be shipped off to be rebuilt.

here are some shots of the clearcoated hull

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Very cool hull, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks I need to get the motor here, the vdrive to JJ @ BeaverFab. I still need to pull the steering box, wetsand the clear and add a couple of more coats and removed and inspect the prop, propshaft and packings. Still plenty to do on the weekends when I have the time.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

The Clearcoat did it's job against the rain we recently had

Bad news the mid mount plate for the split case casale drive is cracked and will need to be replaced or repaired.

It is getting sent off to get rebuilt so hopefully won't cost me too much. Same with the Calgo Steering it is getting sent off to be rebuilt.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

what kind of clear coat did you use?

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

what kind of clear coat did you use?

I used an automotive clear from my local paint supplier with hardener. It has UV protection in it too. I still need to wet sand and put 2-3 more coats on it.

Last edited:

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

A couple of updates
Last Friday night pulled the boat off the trailer to install new bunks in order to make a road trip to have some Vdrive gurus look at it. JJ of BeaverFab saw it and was quite puzzled with some things but I think with all the Vdrive guys we had out to Steele Creek State Park last saturday we figured most of the curiosities on this thing out.

1) the Steering box is free but the cables are frozen in the sleeves.
2) the Actuation for the Cavitation Plate was via a worm geared hand crank like a trailer jack
3) the hull design is like an early Hydro tunnel true flat and JJ says it won't be very stable above 70 mph
4) it was setup for a long skinny Cadillac battery
5) the casale vdrive was anodized black at some point and even though its a dark gray now will just clear coat it and keep the patina
6) the vdrive probably hasn't been used or apart in the last 30 years, the oil was hardened on the walls of the casing and had to be bead blasted off
7) the mid plate/mount plate was cracked from the bottom all the way to the top and needs to be replaced along with we will be adding additional bracing to the stringers for the mid plate to keep this from happening again even though it was not setup like this originally
8) it will probably be getting a prop release for safety reasons even though it did not originally have one
9) the area where the Casale Vdrive was mounted on teh right stringer appears to possibly be delaminating but once I open it up will determine best case scenario
10) there are a lot of extra holes drilled in the stringers that were filled with dowels that will need to be epoxy filled.

Overall everyone likes the patina of the boat and likes that I have kept it to its originality, and are looking forward to seeing it on the water.

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very... cool boat. I'm going to tag along. Thanks for sharing, I'll stay tuned.

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anny progress? I'm into a similar project, a '65 one.
Keep it going
Frank

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Not much Progress, The Vdrive had 32 gears in it, the vdrive Mount plate was cracked all the way up at the edge of the casale drive. It will be getting 18 gears cleaned and redone with new gaskets and bearings. The bearings were still good after all these years. I picked up a stock truck 440 in great shape but too low of compression to really use. Got a great deal on some Keith Black 30 over pistons which will bump up the compression ratio to 10-1. Need to Tear down the motor and get the block to the machine shop for the 30 over bore. Crank all looks good and same with the rods. May look at internally balancing the motor so I can use the internally balanced flywheel especially since I am putting in lighter weight pistons. Still need to make the elephant ears for the front mounts and the rear mounts as well. On the look out for an intake too.

Last edited: