76 Hammond El Dorado V1950 Restoration

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Email the pic to yourself. Save it then you can post it. Already reduces to sizes you need. :D

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need to rant a little :frusty: :blah:

I got a new starter for the boat, I then checked it out, bench tested it and it worked.
Then I installed it. I also jumper fired it after installing.

Started checking other issues, bad Solenoid, mis-wiriing, etc.

OK now the Ignition should fire it up. Nothing.
Kept checking, I replace both the Starter and Solenoid. I'm actually getting power to the starter side of the Solenoid.

What do you knows! It's the starter not working.
You know it's a pain installing and removing it also.

Now I reach under there and remove the starter, bench test No Go.

Decided to call it a day will start on the upholstery tomorrow.

Now inside for some ADULT beverages, ie - Scotch 12yr black label

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That Murphy guy knows no boundaries... Starters are a PITA to replace. :grumpy:

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Have a glass, or two, for me.....red wine is all i can have nowadays

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
After messing with that starter for a few weeks I found out what the problem is :facepalm:

You know that the starter has two ears used for mounting. That is made from one solid piece of metal. For some reason you need to clip a ground to both ear sides to get it to go. If you remove one ground it does not work. So now I'm going to make a ground harness that goes to both ears then back to battery.

And I originally had a good ground at the starter. Weird isn't it. It needed an extra ground to work.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade
never heard of that before....maybe the single ground wire was bad??
Did you fix your belly tank?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Odd, the starter is bolted to the block that is connected to the battery by the battery ground cable. I would check that ground cable for bad connections.

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
I found the ground problem when I was bench testing it. The alternator guy said I just needed to use 4 ga wiring to the battery. Even that didn't work until I hooked up two jumper cables to the starter. Two Black neg on each ear and just one pos to and from the battery to jump it.

Will sand each mating surface before install then add the extra grounds

But remember it did work once when it was installed initially on the boat then it quit. Going to reinstall it today, been down with the Summer time flu bug for the past two days.

mrdflores, Original aluminum tank went pop, got a replacement 25 gallon tank from a 89 Maxum.

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
She lives', She Crank's, She has Oil Pressure.

Now where did I place those Spark Plug Wires?

Had to make a ground harness that goes from bolt hole to bolt hole to Engine block to get it to crank.

That starter is weird it has a solid metal flange, a metal cast, some machining, it read a ground from bolt hole to bolt hole.
But it won't start unless you have a ground wire harness everywhere to get it to crank.

Now to get it set up to fire. First alignment, outdrive, then muffs, forgot the gasoline.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
h77820883

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
That would do the trick, but what if you convert the banana into a Jon boat.

You would need a rear fishing platform.

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Would like a full platform but it would have to be mounted high unless it has that step up in the middle?

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It has a cut-out section in the middle, near the hull, where the outdrive sticks up when its fully raised. I think there is a picture in my thread somewhere

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
mrdjflores, I'm trying to decide on the platform. The rear is not flat an straight like yours. But it should work with a little TLC.

What you asking for it?

I have a type of V shape across the rear.

I'm having problem uploading pictures at this time, may be where I'm connected at