What exactly are the anodes purpose?

Sivart

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This may be a dumb question, but what purpose do they serve?

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: What exactly are the anodes purpose?

The zinc used is a softer metal that will succumb to electrolysis before the aluminum, steel, etc... on your boat and motor. That is why they are called sacrificial anodes.

18rabbit

Captain

No they’re not! They’re counter weights. If your boat is listing to one side, you keep adding zincs until she sits upright. :D <br /><br />Technically, it’s not electrolysis; it’s a galvanic thing, tho we commonly call it electrolysis and everyone knows what you mean when using that term. Electrons in metals are displaced due to the interaction between the ‘electrical potential’ of their atomic structure. The greater the difference in the electrical potential between dissimilar items, the greater the interaction.<br /><br />In the case of your boat, your prop, shaft, thru hulls, etc are all exposed to water and somewhere else in that same water there is likely to be something with a different electrical potential. Dissolved salts/metals in the water allow electrical current to flow between those items. Zinc’s corrosion potential is such that it is likely to go first before other alloys that are common in marine use. As DR mentioned, they are “sacrificial” … intended to be eaten away and replaced. Doesn’t always happen. Sometimes the zincs sit on a boat, untouched for years. Other times they are gone beyond usefulness within months.<br /><br />They are definitely one of those things are “better to have and not need” then to “need and not have”.<br /><br />When galvanic corrosion occurs, the electrons migrate from the anode (+) to the cathode (-). Can you figure out what direction the electrical current is flowing with a sacrificial "anode" zinc? :) Likewise, wanna take a guess as to which lead plates in a battery are eaten up when it fails? :)

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

Anyone ever seen a lump of Brass that's been in sea water for a long time? The galvanic action dissolves the Zinc leaving porous Copper, looks like a piece of sponge cake.<br />The worrying thing is that could be your boat or motor if you don't fit the anodes!

Pickels

Cadet

Did you know....?<br /><br />Tip: Anodes should come into contact with the metal part it will protect, and the potential of any sacrificial anode needs to be at least 200 milliamps higher than the other metal components. <br /><br />The type of water you'll be boating in -- and the combination of metal found on your boat -- determines the type of sacrificial anode you will need. For freshwater boating, chances are you'll need magnesium or aluminum alloy anodes. Zinc will not protect anything in fresh water because there it has a potential of about 900 milliamps; whereas, a magnesium in freshwater will have the 200 milliamp spread needed. In saltwater, zinc will have a potential of about 1200 milliamps.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Ahrmles, where were you when I was giving myself a brain tumor trying to understand all this (too late now) :p .<br /><br />Sivart, take a look at this table of nobility - you don't need no stinking anodes if you build your boat out of gold! :D <br /><br /> http://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/CDweb/g-html/g001.htm <br /><br />Tip #2: Don't mix different types of stainless fasteners.<br /><br />Aldo

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Well...according to the chart...platinum is even more noble...and frankly..I think a platinum boat would look way cooler. :)

18rabbit

Captain

I’m not going to mess with zincs anymore. They’re big and expensive. Mark posted some good stuff on making molds in another thread. I think with a little aluminum powder I can mold some zinc-looking epoxy pieces that will fit right in there but won’t erode away like zinc. Should look the same but will save me some big bucks in the long run. :D

wallbanger2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

18rabbit, I'm with you, but I'm pretty lazy so I'm just gonna apply 4-5 coats of clearcoat to my anodes.

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by 18rabbit:<br /> I’m not going to mess with zincs anymore. They’re big and expensive. Mark posted some good stuff on making molds in another thread. I think with a little aluminum powder I can mold some zinc-looking epoxy pieces that will fit right in there but won’t erode away like zinc. Should look the same but will save me some big bucks in the long run. :D
wallbanger2 <br />Member # 28008 posted December 12, 2004 12:33 PM<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> 18rabbit, I'm with you, but I'm pretty lazy so I'm just gonna apply 4-5 coats of clearcoat to my anodes.
You Guys are Just Kidding........................Right............ :rolleyes:

wallbanger2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You Guys are Just Kidding........................Right............ <br /><br />
I am..... I'm really lazy and probably will only put 1 really thick coat on it untill it drips off. This way all the edges will be sealed and I won't have to worry about that nasty salt water interfering with a shiny new anode.

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by 18rabbit:<br /> I’m not going to mess with zincs anymore. They’re big and expensive. Mark posted some good stuff on making molds in another thread. I think with a little aluminum powder I can mold some zinc-looking epoxy pieces that will fit right in there but won’t erode away like zinc. Should look the same but will save me some big bucks in the long run. :D
until your engine our out drive rot away from galvanic erosion, then how much would you save? i put new anodes on my outdrive and after only 20 hrs in the water (saltwater)they are worn considerably, if they were made out of epoxy, the outdrive would have holes in it by now. there is a reason and the engineers @ mercruiser are alot smarter than me, if it didn't need something, I doubt they would have spent the money on R&D to make the parts in the first place

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by wallbanger2:<br /> 18rabbit, I'm with you, but I'm pretty lazy so I'm just gonna apply 4-5 coats of clearcoat to my anodes.
you would be defeating the purpose entirly, might as well just take them off and save weight, your boat will gradually weigh less as you use it, because your engine and outdrive metal will get thinner and thinner until it has holes in it.

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

i am with Bondo I hope you guys are kidding

wallbanger2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

you would be defeating the purpose entirly, might as well just take them off and save weight, your boat will gradually weigh less as you use it, because your engine and outdrive metal will get thinner and thinner until it has holes in it.
Jimmy, I think your onto something.... this would make my boat lighter and more streamlined (less metal on the lower unit = less metal to cause drag in the water) and therefore faster!!!!!<br />I can't wait untill the lower unit is paper thin... should be the best performance I will get out of the boat.<br /><br /><br />yes I'm kidding ;)

18rabbit

Captain

Oh! Good point Wallbanger! But I’m no much interested in speed as I am in protecting the hull. I’m thinking if I replace those metal chunks with rubber ones, I should be able to just bounce off the rocks without hurting anything, right? Think little underwater bumpers.<br /> :D <br /><br />Yes, Jimmy...we're just kidding. ;)

Triton II

Commander

Tee hee... good thread guys, need a little humour round here on a Friday aftenoon...

18rabbit

Captain

Friday??? It’s just coming up on dinner time Thursday here in California. But hey, that’s not gonna stop me. I’m going for some of those Aussie Budweisers in oil cans (Fosters). :)