Marine Vrs Lowes Carpet

ndemge

Commander
making an ugly boat a little less ugly, '74 aristocraft...<br /><br />Marine Carpet runs around $20 a yard, At lowes they have what looks like the same thing, "marine backing", about $3 a yard<br /><br />Is there a reason not to use this?

self taut

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Marine Vrs Lowes Carpet

if im thinking right you are talking about the astro turff looking carpet? if so keep one thing in mind.depending on how it is cared for this stuff normally last well.it has a tendancy to rot out rather quickly. it will also tear and shred faster than marine carpet.if properly cared for it has been know to last a good while.had it in my boat.lasted for a good long time.but when it starts to go its already gone.

ndemge

Commander

not the green fake grass stuff, just good ole boat looking carpet.<br /><br />Figure if I can get a couple years out of it, (only use the boat a few times a year) I'd be happy.

cjones4@hvc.rr.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I installed the Home Depot version of marine carpet before the start of last season. Gets wet often but dries quick and is still looking good so far. I figure at that cost difference I could replace it every few years if need be. But so far it is holding up well. :)

bubbakat

Captain

I used it in a boat I redid last summer and it is still holding up great.<br />The only thing I did different is I put it down with the jell type contact cement. The type that is flammable it will last longer under wet conditions.

bounder4465

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I installed the Lowes gray "OEM style" in my 93 Cajun bassboat last year, and it still looks great. The stuff was so close to my original carpet that I did not cover inside the rod locker compartments. Like the other poster I used contact cement on the corners and vertical surfaces without a problem. <br />Just my $0.02

gaefstan

Cadet

I just finished most of my install using Lowes carpet (have two panels left after I set the speakers in them). The carpet looks great and seems to patch well hiding seams. I picked up some marine contact cement at a local marine supply outfit. It's much more potent than the regular stuff. I'm using standard contact cement for the panels and two hatches. We'll see which holds up better in the long run. Word of caution - if you use the marine contact cement, ensure it's in a WELL ventilated area. Took several hours to recover from covering a deck in a room that had all of the windows and the door opened. Did all the rest outdoors. The carpet I picked up from Lowes was their marine carpet at 6' wide. It ran ~$5 a linear foot which equates to ~$7.50 a square yard.

NathanY

Commander

Did my starcraft in the grey. Only problem I had with it, is that would fray and ball up. Kind of like a sweater after you wash it. It will last you about 2 years, but if you use your boat like I do ( twice a week) then it will last you about 6 months.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Run it! And like Bubba says, If you use contact cement, use the flamible contact cement cause the non-flamible stuff just don't work...

ndemge

Commander

I have about 4 cases of Dap Tile and Tub adhesive caulk.... think that would work?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I dunno...
6.gif
<br />Maybe try a scrap piece first?..

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Figure if I can get a couple years out of it, (only use the boat a few times a year) I'd be happy. [/QB]
I've used cheapie carpet in a boat, but didn't glue it down. I knew it would trash out pretty fast, so I painted the floor real well, then put the carpet down with a few screws in the corners.<br /><br />It never blew out going down the road or on the water, and in the off season, I pulled it out, rolled it up, and threw it in a little storage building out in the back yard. It worked great, keeping the carpet out of the weather extended its lifespan for many years. <br /><br /> If it got a bunch of fish 'goo' on it, I'd throw it over the fence, hose it off, let it dry, and go from there.

jfck2000

Recruit

I too am in the middle of replacing a boat floor and am at the carpet stage. I bought carpet from Lowes with a marine back and bought the highly flammable Adhesive for outdoor carpet at a local carpet store. Does anyone know if the adhesive will stick to a hardened resin surface that has been painted? Also, Whats the best way to seam the carpet so it looks really professional. Thanks!

PeteHarris

Seaman Apprentice

Along Winger Eds. line it would be real easy to make that carpet snap in rather than screw in ... small investment in the snappy tooly thing to put snaps in the carpet....

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by PeteHarris:<br /> small investment in the snappy tooly thing to put snaps in the carpet....
I just used them cheapie trim screws about a inch long, with the little 1/2 donut looking washer on them. They go through the 1/2 inch or so of carpet, and grab the 1/2 inch or so of plywood floor.<br /><br />I don't think it was more than 6 or 8 to hold the carpet, and it worked well.<br /><br />In the off season---- sometimes extending to a couple of years,,, with the carpet stored off the boat, it didn't trap moisture and try to rot the floor.<br /><br />The floor 'breathed', and has lasted since the 80's with no soft spots, on the first boat I did that way. <br /> <br /><br />Other carpet & re-decking (with 'outdoor CDX plywood')jobs I've done since and left in the boat, have come & gone. But the removable one on the green pressure treated plywood and removable carpet is still doing fine almost 20 years down the road.

gaefstan

Cadet

CFreida - Seam the carpet the same way you would household carpet. Lay all of the pieces first and overlay where the seams will be. Cut both pieces at once. Use a VERY sharp blade when doing this to prevent pullout/fraying when cutting backed carpet. Remove the pieces and glue and install, rolling the seams. Be careful when reseeting the carpet in after gluing. Repositioning the carpet once it hits the contact cement can pull the backing off the carpet and tuft it.

RCabrera

Cadet

Originally posted by bubbakat:<br /> I used it in a boat I redid last summer and it is still holding up great.<br />The only thing I did different is I put it down with the jell type contact cement. The type that is flammable it will last longer under wet conditions.

RCabrera

Cadet

I'm about ready to install Home Depot outdoor carpet on my 19 ft. 1974 Invader. What brand name is the jell?

Speakrdude

Ensign

Lowes sells the outdoor glue for that carpet as well. I did my Maxum last year with it. Tough as nails, almost no fuems like you get with gel. just trowel it on.<br /><br />Jim