marine tex vs jb weld - temporary alum boat fix

geedubcpa

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need a temporary patch on my boat until the welder can fix properly - the hole is letting a steady drip of water into the boat and was due to damage vs stress crack - I am talking about an area that is the about the size of a screwdriver as far as the hole - I have some jb weld in the garage - but would I be better off with marine tex?

Probably going to get it welded in late fall whenever the place I take my boat for service slows down.

The boat takes on about a 1-2 gallons or so per hour.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: marine tex vs jb weld - temporary alum boat fix

Either will work. Prep is the Key. Sand lightly with 80 grit, Both Sides, Wipe down with Acetone, Both Sides, Apply JBW or MT Both Sides.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I like JB Weld for really small patches, like a crack. It's so runny that it's a bit harder to work with on larger holes. PC11 (a two part marine epoxy like MT) is more putty-like and is easier to work on holes. Both are super-durable, though, so as long as you cover the hole (and get the epoxy to stay there while it hardens), both should work well.

I used JB Weld on my aluminum boat and it sealed it quite nicely.

geedubcpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jaysin2006

How long did your repair last? Do you check it after each launching just to make sure.

GEEDUB