1967 16 ft Starcraft aluminum deep v restoration. First timer.

Bizzzay

Cadet
So this will be my first attempt at any type of boat restoration. I was given a 1967 starcraft aluminum deep v 16 footer from my father in law, and its been catching Pine needles for about 6 months now. I live 5 minutes from the cape cod canal and ive got the itch to get out there and land some stripers(or just float around to escape the wife and kids for a few hours). Boat was bought from original owner. Was also lucky enough to get a late 70s 50hp evinrude that came off a running boat in the deal. Today i finally got around to deconstructing it. I ripped up the carpeting and found two layers of plywood, the bottom layer basically mulch at this point. Top layer good enough to reuse for a pattern. Will follow with pictures. Any tips greatly appreciated, i am winging this one hard for sure so go easy on me through this, we'll get there.

-Brad

Bizzzay

Cadet
Re: 1967 16 ft Starcraft aluminum deep v restoration. First timer.

profile.jpginsidebefore.jpgribs.jpg
here are the pics. every piece that is wood will be getting replaced, including transom that i shoved a screwdriver straight through. thanks for checking out the thread.

-Brad

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

That'll be a real nice boat when you get her fixed up Brad.

Don't use pressure treated wood in an aluminum boat in case you don't already know that.

Do use exterior grade plywood, ABX or BCX works well. MDO plywood is even better, but a little harder to find.

Since you're doing decking and transom I suggest sealing all of the wood with epoxy resin, it's worth it to order it online for that much wood.

Install floatation foam, it's a safety feature that could save your life. Most people use the pink or blue extruded polystyrene rigid foam insulation board for this in aluminum boats.

do a leak test on your boat after you get all of the mulch and crud cleaned out. fill the inside with a few inches of water and look underneath the bost for any leaks. Repair any leaks that you find by replacing rivets or patching cracks.

Bizzzay

Cadet

Thanks for the tips. Should i also adhere a foam sheet to the underside of the plywood i use for the decking? Ive seen that done a few times with either just the one sheet of ply or sandwiching it. I dont see myself venturing too far from shore or leaving the bay in her if that matters. Also when it comes to painting her, can you hand paint or only go with a sprayer? This is somewhat of a budget build. Luckily birthday and fathers day are arriving shortly.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Should i also adhere a foam sheet to the underside of the plywood i use for the decking?

Cut the foam to lay in the bilge just below the decking either fore to aft (lengthwise) or port to starboard (widthwise):
X6TKTXM.jpg

You should fill the bilge full because not having enough foam is just like not having any, your boat will still sink. If you install an abundance of foam your boat can float like this:
Lund Boat Floatation Video - YouTube
Which means you'll easily make it back to the dock and may not even get your feet wet should an emergency arise.

Jeep Man

Commander

Looks like a nice project. I am starting a similar project albeit a little shorter. First, is plan plan plan. Decide on if it is going to be for fishing only or all round family fun. Look at other projects in this forum for ideas. For my project I've decided on fishing only, with a forward casting deck, livewell, marine vinyl instead of carpet, and 3/4" plywood for the deck. After deciding on your design, source your materials. Keep us posted on your project with lots of photos. Lots of help here when you need it.

Bizzzay

Cadet

ok so here are a few more pics of what ive got going on. most of the transoms ive seen on the forums seem to be much taller than my configuration. Just curious if anybody sees any issue i may have mounting the outboard ive got? picking up power washer from my mothers house today to see what were dealing with as far as solidity of the hull. Story i was told is that this boat was leaking a couple of years after it was purchased and was sent back to starcraft under warranty where they double riveted everything. PO said it hasnt leaked since. any validity to these boats being single riveted vs double from factory?
evinrude.jpgtransominside.jpgtransomoutside.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4133.jpg
    IMG_4133.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 2

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The transom height is fine and looks to be factory, the wood needs replaceing to say the least.

I've never heard of double riveting, but if your boat doesn't leak it may be a good thing. I'd still do a leak test though, previous owners will tell lies to sell their boat... we see that a lot on this site.

Bizzzay

Cadet

Did a quick rinse after shoveling the muck out and filled her up with some water. No leaks! Next task is to get a couple buddies over to flip her over for sanding and paint on her an the trailer.

bsmithbum

Seaman Apprentice

Great looking boat you got there. I look forward to seeing your progress, and seeing how she turns out for ya.

Bizzzay

Cadet

So no big updates as of now. Got the benches removed and all the muck out so moving on to some sanding and painting once i can get some buddies over to help me flip her over. A question i have when it comes time to add the decking back in, is it fine to attatch the decking to the ribs with self tappers or no? Thanks for the feedback.

richierider

Seaman Apprentice

As far as the paint goes...you can go with the brush and tip method....you roll it on with roller then lightly "tip" the paint with a paint brush...the cheap little wooden ones work best....From what i understand it is best to have someone help you do the paint...one person rolls and the other goes behind, while tipping you need another cup of paint thinned a little bit, add a little paint to brush then drag on slight angle to remove any drips. The tipping process smooths out the paint and enables it to flatten out......

I have chosen to get good paint/primer from marine store....Only because of all the work involved in removing the multiple layers of bad paint jobs. I wouldn't want to do it again anytime soon......

I also was informed about using anti-fouling paint below the water line....I'm not sure how important it is, but that is the route I'm choosing to go...like i said, I wouldn't want to go through all the work to have a mediocre paint job that may start failing within a year or two.....

Now having expressed my opinion, I do realize that money doesn't grow on trees. So if its not possible to go with the correct paint from a marine dealer...I have seen others use zinc-cromate primer on bare metal with Rustoleum rolled on.....

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Anti-fouling paint is only needed if you plan to keep your boat in the water all the time or for long periods like all summer. If you're going to keep your boat trailered when not in use the anti-foul isn't needed. The AF paint is highly toxic and special precautions need to be taken when applying or removing it. Special storage precautions shold also be taken, especially in a household with children.

richierider

Seaman Apprentice

That's good news...I will have my boat trailer-ed most of the time so I,m glad I don't need to get anti-fouling paint also...

richierider

Seaman Apprentice

Nice boat to you Bizzay. Kinda wish I had as much to work with as you do....I like the set-up with most of the interior framing and such already there....I was having a hard time taking measurements and making templates today for my Sea Scamp....

Bizzzay

Cadet

Well its been a while since my last post (daughter born may 31st so its been a busy couple of months) but I have made some progress. Plywood is all resin coated and ready to be cut and put in this weekend. First coat of paint done on the outside and in with the exception of a few spots im still debating on color schemes. My wife is actually getting excited about it too and not looking at the boat as trash anymore so
This is a plus! I will post some pictures when i get home for you guys.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Bizzzay I know how easy it is to get sidetracked. I bought a project late last fall that I was going to start this spring. Then this past Jan the company I work for had a major fire and we lost 2/3 of our plant. We have been working 6 days a week now sense then and on my only day off I'm either too tired or there are other chores that need attending to.

Best of times still to come so enjoy that new baby and then try to make time for the project. Then you can enjoy both!

Bizzzay

Cadet

So here are a few pictures of where I'm at now. Just finished up the second coat of paint on the outside today (picture shows first coat) also got a picture of the new decking, just needs some more resin to fill in the knots in the wood so its nice and level for the outdoor carpet thats going in soon. you can see the start of the new benches I am making out of mahogany, should look real nice when done.

IMG_4707.jpgIMG_4706.jpgIMG_5031.jpg

Bizzzay

Cadet

also Ive been trying to figure out what to use for the new transom and was wondering if staging wood would be fine after coating in epoxy resin? i figure that would have the rigidity needed?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Not sure what you mean by "staging wood". Most here still use the BCX ply and bond 2 peices of 3/4"

What color and paint did you use? Looks really good!