Boat floor/hull possible restore project or get rid of it?

Royglastron

Seaman Apprentice
After getting back on this site I am thinking of restoring this boat but only to get it on the water doesn't have to look perfect. Will clean it up better this weekend to get a better idea. But from this picture what do you think? Anything that requires removing the cap would be too much work that I could do. Also I seen videos on re-foaming the hull is that required for floatation. Forgive me if that sounds like a dumb question but I am new to this.

thanks

Attachments

• glastron.jpg
    glastron.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 0
  • boat hull.jpg
    boat hull.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 0

carribbean soul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Boat floor/hull possible restore project or get rid of it?

by the time your done you will have missed the boating season!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi and welcome to the Iboats dry dock, Royglastron...

A proper restoration will probably take you a little longer than this years boating season...
From the picture you posted of the interior, it looks like the deck was rotting and removed and the stringer with the piece of fiberglass torn open may also be in the same condition, but hard to tell from way over here...
If the stringers and the deck are like that, and the transom has never been replaced, it might be in the same condition...
The only way to be sure is to take some core samples of it...
After a complete investigation of the condition of the boats guts, then you can honestly determine if it needs a complete restoration or just some repairs...
Best of luck,
GT1M

Royglastron

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I think the transom is ok but will know more after I inspect it more closely this weekend. I hope to have better pictures also. I understand I may not have it ready for this season but if I can make some progress that would be good. I only paid $500 for it so it won't be that bad if I do have to rid of it but it's the perfect size so I would love to keep it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

AS usual, prepare for the worst and be glad if it isn't that bad. Nice boat to restore, but it may take removing the cap and doing the job right. Then you would have a boat that is better then it was originally built. And you would be the proud owner that did the work too...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If the transom is bad, you would either need to cut the cap in front of the splashwell or remove the cap to replace the transom. From the looks of the pics the stringers and deck for sure will need replaced. If you worked on if Full Time 8 hours a day 6 days a week with some occasional help from friends you could have it ready by June. Your approx. costs would be 1 -2K depending on How far you go on the restoration. i.e. interior, Paint, Trailer etc...

Keep us posted.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You've got a great motor there. I'd start looking for an aluminum hull to hang it on. The issue is there's really no way to do quick restore on a fiberglass boat and still have a safe boat. The materials are expensive and it's a laborious project. If you really love the boat, go for it. But if you're just kinda like meh, it's the boat I have, I'd ditch it and look for a better hull for your motor.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

You've got a great motor there. I'd start looking for an aluminum hull to hang it on. The issue is there's really no way to do quick restore on a fiberglass boat and still have a safe boat. The materials are expensive and it's a laborious project. If you really love the boat, go for it. But if you're just kinda like meh, it's the boat I have, I'd ditch it and look for a better hull for your motor.
Make sure the motor is good first though. If the motor is no good then it's throwing money down the drain.

Royglastron

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the good advice and I am totally with you on the motor. That is one of the things I am going to check out this weekend. It ran ok when I bought it two years ago but I let it just sit up and haven't done anything with it. Don't have a marine battery but I heard my truck battery will be ok just to crank the boat motor and see how it runs. My plan this weekend, replace motor with fresh oil and check out the motor. If motor is no good then will make plans on just getting rid of the boat. If it does run good then clean all the trash out of the boat and see what I have. Thanks again.

Royglastron

Seaman Apprentice

I like your idea of aluminum hull. I may look into that if motor turns out to be good.

Royglastron

Seaman Apprentice

A few more pics, still have to figure out how to connect the battery to check out motor but cleaned up boat a bit and looks like it will need a complete restore of floor.

Attachments

• Boat reconstruct 001.jpg
    Boat reconstruct 001.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat reconstruct 002.jpg
    Boat reconstruct 002.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat reconstruct 010.jpg
    Boat reconstruct 010.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 0