1988 Imperial 280sf engine swap and restoration (pics)

zool

Captain
Re: 1988 Imperial 280sf engine swap and restoration (pics)

Some documentation pics

Gonna have fun grinding and cleaning all this out.....

zool

Captain

With the leveler on these tall dohc engines, i had about a foot or lesst clearance to spare.

now that they are on the ground, and in the way, ill have to make some rolling cradles to get them in the shop for future teardown.

zool

Captain

So I took a bunch of measurements, just to get a handle on what i will need, and to get a plan to build the firewall bulkhead. Its just under 10' so i guess ill be lapping sheets of ply to get the length i need. I also need to double it up to reattach the cored deck sections i cut out. The stringer sections arent all rotted out so they will work for templates. They are just tabbed in, with no bedding so they will cut out rather easily. All in all its not so bad, and ill end up replacing 4 stringer sections, 8 feet long in varying heights, and 1 bulkhead. Im also going to put a layer of biaxial over the lower hull section expanses, for some additional strength.

After assessing what I need to glass, including the pulpit repair, I decided to just go with the 635 3:1 epoxy for the whole thing.

I put in an order for Epoxy and Biaxial 170 from USC, and a few other items....should be here in a week i suppose.

Will post some pics when I cut out the old wood and start grinding it all out.

Still fighting seized bolts on the exhaust pipes, and the hinge pins for the drives. man, salt water is the devil...

zool

Captain

I was also reminded by the admiral that the Hurricane Sandy repairs are being ignored, my priorities are somewhat different, but you have to pick your battles.

Put up about 300' of fencing

Built a new set of doors that blew off an outbuilding...only 5 more sets to go ;)
that should hold her off for a bit, now back to boat building.. hehe

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I hear you on repairs......I have about 3000' of fence to replace 1' at a time right! lol not looking forward to it! Thanks for the updates, looking forward to seeing your progress!

zool

Captain

I hear you on repairs......I have about 3000' of fence to replace 1' at a time right! lol not looking forward to it! Thanks for the updates, looking forward to seeing your progress!

Yea Arch, 1 foot at a time, thats the ticket! We did get walloped here but the storms are far and few between, unlike what you guys face. Hope youre getting things back to some normalcy..

The damage to this state mostly comes from the polititions...;)

Tboner7864

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Zool just read your thread mind if I join in the fun? So funny I just finished fencing in the rest of my yard last night now I can get back to my boat. Nothing close to 3000' though. thanks again for all the info and yes salt water The Devil.jpg

zool

Captain

Hey Zool just read your thread mind if I join in the fun? So funny I just finished fencing in the rest of my yard last night now I can get back to my boat. Nothing close to 3000' though. thanks again for all the info and yes salt water View attachment 200005

Yea man, welcome aboard. Its gonna be a long ride tho ;)

I got some more updating to do, but I gotta find that wire thing for the camera card.

zool

Captain

Update:

So I decided to tackle removing the old gas, turned out there was about 70 gallons of what used to be gasoline. Few things are more enjoyable than sitting in a sun drenched bilge, in 90 degree weather, hand pumping fuel. But at least its done. I figured that the empty tank would slide out to the motor mount pad with enough room to lift it out. But 1st I had to remove the old thru hull transducer poking up in the way.

done deal

the cheap hand pump i used...

zool

Captain

Before that, I removed the firewall bulkhead, and the shelving that holds the batteries and water heater.

Also removed the rear portion of the coffin box stringers where that were scabbed together.

zool

Captain

No such luck, it still wont come out with the mount pad in. I started cutting out the pad, then started thinking I better brace the hull some, before i take out anymore structural members.

Even tho the cap is on, with half the boats length of stringers and a main bulkead being removed, and the hull only supported on blocks set at the 2 aft corners, and one under the front, its too risky imo..

At least the tank is alot lighter now, plus it looks in serviceable condition so far ;)

zool

Captain

Took the remainder of the drive legs off, and put safely in the shop building...

One bolt broke on the port side exhaust pipe, so i have to deal with that before removing the shield, the SB side came of ok.....always the port side giving me grief, but thats because it never needed major service, the startboard side saw more use, as i trolled with just this one in gear...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Wow that is a lot of gas to pump out by hand! Looks like you made a lot of progress today!

zool

Captain

Update:

So i went ahead and added sume bracing to the rear hull area, for piece of mind if anything, it doesnt really flex or anything while walking around, but the more bracing the better, til i get the stringers spliced and bedded/tabbed.

Then cut out the motor mount pad...

zool

Captain

Was able to get the tank out finally.

I had to use the Frankenhoist to lift it out, as there was actually still more fuel in it. If the gas was good, id be "loading up the truck, and move to Beverly....Hills that is"

The motor mount pad is starting to turn to worm food....it was just glassed on the outside, but had a Drain hole in it.....go figure...so many corners cut by the factory, no wonder they are defunct.

zool

Captain

Was able to get the tank out finally.

I had to use the Frankenhoist to lift it out, as there was actually still more fuel in it. If the gas was good, id be "loading up the truck, and move to Beverly....Hills that is"

The motor mount pad is starting to turn to worm food....it was just glassed on the outside, but had a drain hole in it.....go figure...so many corners cut by the factory, no wonder they are defunct.

zool

Captain

Got the transom shields off....

Gonna be running out of excuses soon, once the stringers are cut out, i guess its time to suit up and start grinding......theres also a few boxes from USC sitting on the porch....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

R U sure that's a Fuel Tank. It almost looks like a Small Travel Trailer with no undercarriage!!!!!:D

zool

Captain

hehe, yea wood, i cant believe how long it was, im half way to having a pontoon boat ;)

I can just hear my voice cracking when i pull to the pump and say "f f f ff fill er up, please"

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

what you have there is a super tanker :D