1988 Imperial 280sf engine swap and restoration (pics)

zool

Captain
Re: 1988 Imperial 280sf engine swap and restoration (pics)

The side panels remove with screws, should make it easier to get the forward deck piece out if I have to, its the roof of the aft cabin. Depending on the extent of any rot in the stringers, it may have to come out. If I find there is rot forward of the cabin wall bulkhead, then the galley, head, aft sleeper, and v-bunk will have to come out, but I think im ok.

This also makes it alot easier to beef up the side walls to accept a radar arch. The outriggers that were on there flexed alot in heavy seas.

You can see the stress cracks at the rigger base.

zool

Captain

The deck appears to be cored with what i believe is 1/2 ply, and glassed on both sides. Its molded up the inner hull side and attached with screws to the backing board where the cap attaches to the hull. It rests on the bulkhead and is tabbed down. Not sure yet if ill cut out the old wood and reglass a core, or remove the wood and grind the slin flat and lay over a prebuilt deck floor. Ill probably put it back the way it was built.

I plan to make the 1st cut from side to side between the fish boxes and the engine compartment and up the sides, right along the top of the bulkhead

zool

Captain

This is a vinyl covered strip that covers the seam where the deck meets the cap..

All in all, I dont think it will be too bad, especially cuz i dont have foam to deal with.

Erieboat

Recruit

Luck have it my 28SF is this Boat's twin, I picked it up last year used from HappyDays Boating! Thank you for posting and pic's I have spent countless hours looking for information about this Boat. My IMPERIAL 28SF is like a tank on Lake Erie, I think you will find that Boat a good choice for a project, so excited to see this ship come to life

zool

Captain

Welcome to IBoats Erie...and welcome aboard.

I know what you mean, there is little info out there, especially on these. I searched high and low for a resto thread as a peek into what i was in for...so ill be the one blazing the trail ;)

She does handle quite well for what she is. I routinely ran this 25-50 miles offshore, and sometimes getting stuck in conditions it had no business being in. She always made it home under her own steam, and obviously never sank, hehe.

The modified, shallow draft hull is a little harsh in a head sea. but made up for it on the beam and and in a following sea. I found using a tacking course made things quite bearable.

If you ever wanted to know what goes on under your decks, you're in the right place. Im taking it down quite a bit on this project. And the fun is just about to begin as the decks are about to come up.

Hope you stick around or check in from time to time, you could be the answer to some specific questions that arise, being you have the twin....Its going to be a long process, as im just over a month in.

zool

Captain

Still removing systems, one by one, nothing that warrants pics but ill document it anyhow. Its slow going as i need to mark each wire, hose, and such so i have a clue when reassembling.

Got the bilge pumps and wiring out, some old electronics transducer wires, spead/temp probes, ect out. Removed the fresh water holding tank, as well as the hydrolic trim pump lines, battery switches, breakers, ect.

Now that I removed the engine compartment hatches, and fuet tank inspection hatch, I had to cover from weather. In todays wind, it was a comedy show at best trying to set a cover from the winshield back. Got it somewhat secured, but it needs "tweaking"

At this point, im thinking of building a pvc pipe arch from the rod holders in the gunnels, to tent the cover for any weather work.

zool

Captain

Update:

Ok, cut the deck out today from the aft sleeper bulkhead back. The deck turns out to be cored with 3/4 ply. It cut out nice and smooth with a jig saw, and only one blade.. Took the engine hatch portion out 1st from the firewall bulhead back.

Then the section from the firewall to the aft sleeper with the insulated fish boxes intact.

zool

Captain

The core on these sections is in perfect shape, no need to recore it. Ill have to drill into the hatches to see how they held up.

These were heavier than I thought, i had to use a 2x12 as a slide to get them overboard.

zool

Captain

This is where the aft sleeper bulkhead meets he stringer. There was no bedding, it was just tabbed to the bottom. It delaminated in alot of sections, but the wood is good.

zool

Captain

They even left a spacer under the bulkhead, looks like they just tabbed around it

Gspec

Cadet

Just following along...:)

zool

Captain

Welcome aboard, gspec....

I feel like im doing an autopsy. ;)

That was the good.

Now for the bad.

This is the firewall bulkead.
The stringer stepdown areas were not wrapped in glass, just wetted it appears. The reduction in stringer size was necessary to accomedate the larger Volvo Penta keyhole at the transom

zool

Captain

This is where the firewall bulkhead meets the coffin back stringers. The stepdown was from like 18" to 6" just notched and wetted. It will be replaced with a 45 degree stepdown from the firewall back.

Depending in whats under the fuel tank, it looks like I can scarf and sister from the aft sleeper bulkhead, back.

zool

Captain

Update:

Today I decided to tackle the rusty water heater, and the rest of the wiring in the engine room.

It was basically rotting into the shelf. There was an elaborate array of pvc piping running from the gally back to the bilge where the heater was. Then runing up the other side to the head/shower, both hot and cold lines. There was a pressure pump t'd by the heater and fedding the fresh water hold, located on top of the gas tank.

zool

Captain

Finally got all the wiring harnesses, power blocks, bendix units, trim pumps, ect off the transom. I plan to tie them all together and wrap in plastic. Then tuck up under the gunwale, away from the areas I need to prep for paint.

Its nice and roomy now, easier to get to things til the engines come out.

zool

Captain

Started messing with the birdsnest, trying to figure which wire does what, and why. I have to remove the dash and switch panels, and tuck the wiring under the cap lip. I want to remove the concole and other side panel to be painted seperately.

I did get one break today...the white diagrams on the trim switches was all gone from exposure..

but it appears its 2 sided

finally caught a break lol

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey zool, I got a kick out of your opening paragraph.

Thanks for helping me out on my thread. Your project looks really interesting so I think I'll tag along :tongue:.

zool

Captain

Welcome aboard Nicky.

I had recently watched Wrath of Khan so i guess it was in my head...lol

No problem on the suggestions...im a fan of the aq series V/P and have a good handle on their operation.

Im planning to add a self contained heat/ac pump, A/V system, recessed front spots, underwater led, and some other goodies..;)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

You have quite the project going there! I'll look forward to following your progress, nice job on documenting your work!

zool

Captain

You have quite the project going there! I'll look forward to following your progress, nice job on documenting your work!

Hey Arch, yeah, and being a one man show, its challenging at times. The documenting keeps me sane ;)

Looks like you're getting some crazy weather out there today, stay safe.