what's the best way to remove carpet glue from fiberglass

rjarreau

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have currently removed the carpet from my friends boat. what is the best way to remove the carpet glue from the fiberglass floor?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: what's the best way to remove carpet glue from fiberglass

A 4 1/2" Grinder, with a "Cup" Wire Wheel.......<br />And, Wear a Mask.....

John Carpenter

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the glue residue is very heavy, the grinder and wire wheel is probably the way to go. If it is not too bad, one of the "orange" cleaners on the market will work. Go to a local janitor supply house and tell them what you are doing & that you want a 90% d'limonene product.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

I used a Dual Action sander with 40grit

ratherbefishin

Petty Officer 1st Class

go to www.napierenvironmental.com <br /> They have a product developed specifically for removing underlay glue called ''Foam-Off''.Sure beats sanding and scraping

rjarreau

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yep the grinder wheel worked the best and best of all it was free. Been working like a dog every night . Finished the carpet part in a few days. I have finished all the fiberglass work and will be shooting the white gelcoat this weekend.!!!

Realgun

Commander

Ratherbe where do you get this foam stuff.

ratherbefishin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Foam-OFF is widely distributed in Canada in Home Depot stores,Pettit carrys a line in the US for marine applications,and THIS OLD HOUSE is featuring the product in an upcomingshow for lead paint removal.PP&G is starting to carry the line in LOWES outlets, plus their own General Paint stores.Best to check out the web site www.napierenvironmental.com and give the company a call to find a dealer[ I don't have any connection with them], except I have used the product- and it sure beats sanding and scraping, plus is non toxic, and won't burn your skin like traditional MCbased strippers do- nasty stuff.

ratherbefishin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I justchecked the website out- and see it goes under ''RemovALL 700'' an all purpose glue remover for underlay and glue down carpet residue.They have a wide variety of strippers for many applications , epoxy , lead paint, asbestos,and work on fiberglass , steel, aluminum, wood,plastic etc.The productline was initially developed for stripping anti-fouling paint here at Canoe Cove marina, as an alternative to sanding which is not only labour intensive- it poses a containment problem.From there they developed a whole line of non toxic, water based[ as opposed to solvent based ] strippers