Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 84 Sea Ray Seville Cuddy - Floor work, new interior

Attached Files
    Last edited by Panoguy; June 30th, 2013, 06:17 AM. Reason: Project is being redefined from cosmetic to structural
    My 1984 Sea Ray Seville project boat

Re: 84 Sea Ray Seville Cuddy - Floor work, new interior

I found your thread interesting I too am in the same position you are I have a 1986 caddy Deville that I'm attempting to do the same thing. However I am trying to get by with a partial restore for the summer I am fixing the stringers around the gas tank and replacing some decking.

Comment

One question... ANSWERED!

O-kaay, I decided to pull some of the foam out, around the port stringer, & it's wet on the bottom... NOW I see why everyone pulls it out!

Question I'm still pondering... will I need to pull-out all of the flooring inside of the cuddy - or is there perhaps some sort of dam or bulkhead forward of the main deck?

Comment

The cutting continues

Well, as the British say... "in for a Penny, in for a Pound", the more that I expose, the more that I realize that this ol' girl needs a complete deck rebuild. I haven't had the courage to drill test holes in the transom yet, I'll likely do that shortly, however.

The attached pictures show progress made today - most of the deck aft of the console has been removed, exposing the expanded polyurethane foam - all is wet. I've discovered that slicing the foam like a giant cake aids in removal. I've been using a hacksaw blade to slice blocks of foam, then a crowbar to release it from the hull - works quite well!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-4-14 - Jumpseat frames removed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	7073411 Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-4-14 - Open decks wide shot.jpg
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	7073412 Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-4-14 - Wet foam under console-forward.jpg
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	7073413

I've also (finally) removed the padded sides, so now I can also start working on covering them with my new vinyl.

Comment

well that looks very familiar. Yes I am sure your transom is very wet.

Comment

The demo continues, I have some questions... anybody??

The work continues whenever I have a chance (so much to do, so little time!). I'm beginning to wonder if my boat has had previous floor work done in it.

I've pretty-much exposed & "de-foamed" all of the hull bottom from transom to cabin. I'm entertaining the thought of only replacing the section of the stringers that are aft of the cuddy cabin - because I really hate to demo the entire cabin, which seems to be solid - but I don't want this to be "another one of those bad rebuilds". The pic below is taken inside the cabin - port side.

Name:	FloorAtCuddyUnderCushion.jpg
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	7075433

Anyone have opinions on this thought, I see several on these boards who've done this - is it a viable option, or bad idea?

Referring to the pic below, I've also discovered that there's a significant gap between the stringers (from the gas tank well, forward - everything from the front of the gas tank well to the transom seems attached to the hull floor). Is this how Sea Ray built these - or am I looking at a previous rebuild? FWIW, I plan on taking the advice of many on these boards and PB/glass/tabbing the entire new stringer (sections?) to the hull.

Name:	StringerGap.jpg
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	7075435

Finally for now, the pic below shows what I thought was a splice, but turned-out to be a nick in the stringer, probably made when I cut the floor out. I pulled the glass off the side of it & discovered that the double-width section is only a 1" width strip of wood glassed to top edge, alongside the stringer, with occasional wider reinforcements every 2-feet or-so.

Name:	StringerSplicePortSide.jpg
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	7075434

- this seems flimsy as hell to me, is this really how they built-'em?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

(crickets)... Anybody???

Comment

Hey Panoguy! What your seeing in those areas where it doesn't touch the hull is how it came from Sea Ray.. Mine was the same exact way and I know for certain no work has ever been done on mine. you'll find that the stringers are also not bedded on the sides of the front motor mount! When I get to putting my stringers in I will be bedding them the entire length, also I am making mine out of two pieces of 1/2" ply for a 1" thick stringer instead of just the factory 1/2" so they wont have any of those spots where it's just two piece of wood butted up to each other. The way I see it, it won't be too much different than how it was engineered but it's going to be a hell of a lot stronger and more dependable!

Comment

I'm working on a 72 myself. It looks like they built them the same way for a long time. To answer an earlier question, there are two outer stringers that run almost to where the cuddy starts. On mine they weren't attached to the hull It was like they spread a glob of glue the length of the boat and then missed it when they set the stringers. I think that the floor was preassembled and set int place. The only tabbing that was done on the main stringers was in the fuel tank compartment and in the cuddy

Comment

As much as I'm sure you really don't want to, IMHO, I would get into the cabin as well. In one of the photos I saw what appeared to be a bulkhead right at the entrance to the cabin.(Please correct me if I am wrong) It appeared to have the start of rot on the starboard side of it as well. Beside you are already 3/4 the way there, and although cabin dis assembly might be a pain, I would do it while you are there so you don't ever have to re think whether or not you should have once it's all back together.

Then again, I can personally be very over picky at times so please take my opinion as just that

Comment

Hi, I have the same boat as you, mine is an 87, and I am considering doing exactly what you are doing next year.
                      Everyone tells me to buy another boat, but my boat has too much sentimental value to get rid of it.
                      How are you doing so far, also who did you get to make up the new decking. I would like to replace the I/O Carpet with fiberglass panels, just like the new boats of today.
                      This years project was to add a kicker mount because I don't trust the 25 year old motor to get me home every time, lol!
                      Here are some photos of this years kicker mount project, I hope to see some pictures of your finished project.
                      Paul C. Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.jpg
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	7082977Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	7082978Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	7082979

Comment

Originally posted by PCongiusta View Post
                        Hi, I have the same boat as you, mine is an 87, and I am considering doing exactly what you are doing next year.
                        Everyone tells me to buy another boat, but my boat has too much sentimental value to get rid of it.
                        How are you doing so far, also who did you get to make up the new decking. I would like to replace the I/O Carpet with fiberglass panels, just like the new boats of today.
                        This years project was to add a kicker mount because I don't trust the 25 year old motor to get me home every time, lol!
                        Here are some photos of this years kicker mount project, I hope to see some pictures of your finished project.
                        Paul C. [ATTACH=CONFIG]200136[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]200137[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]200138[/ATTACH]
                        Hi PCongiusta, thanks for dropping-by and the PM! I've been unable to work on the boat for a few weeks, but I've done quite a bit of work on it in the past few days (finally have power out in my shelter!) - post coming-up in a few minutes.

My boat is just plain-old beige, I really like your 2-tone scheme, I'm planning to gel some color onto my hull. Favor - could you post 360-degrees worth of pictures of the exterior of your boat? Thanks!!

I'm not even sure that my boat will see water this summer - so much to do! We'll see.

Comment

Progressing...

Well, it's been a while since I've been able to work on the boat, but I finally have some progress worth posting.

Name:	DSCN4418 (Small).jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	7083410 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4419 (Small).jpg
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	7083411 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4425 (Small).jpg
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	7083412

I pulled the engine and removed the transom. As you can see by the backside of these transom pieces - it certainly needed replacement. My next task will be gluing-up some 3/4" plywood to fabricate the center transom piece. For some reason, there was only 1 other "side" transom piece on the back of my boat (starboard, facing forward), to reinforce boarding platform. I'm going to glass in a port-side piece in place, for rigidity, symmetry, and in-case I decide to mount some other hardware over there.

Name:	DSCN4421 (Small).jpg
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	7083413 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4422 (Small).jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	7083414

I also have the stringers pulled (aft of the cabin), and about 90% of the rough grinding completed. I still need to rip-out the motor mount and bulkheads for the fore/aft fuel tank space, but that'll be easy. I'm excited about finally being-able to construct - I'm tired of demolishing, it'll be great to start this build!

I can't seem to post any more pics on this post - so I'll continue in the next post... coming-right-up.
                          Last edited by Panoguy; June 30th, 2013, 01:21 PM. Reason: spelling & grammer

Comment

Progress... Continued!

Name:	DSCN4423 Composite.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	7083415 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4426 (Small).jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	7083416

A change that I want to make:
                            I've decided to raise my floor up by a couple of inches, the original floor included part of the V on either side, effectively making that deck space useless. This probably didn't matter with the doghouse/jumpseats and front lounge seats, but I'm replacing these with a bench in back and adjustable buckets up-front... I could use the extra flat floor space.

This will involve adding some extra stringers, outside of the originals.

QUESTION: Does anyone see any reason for me NOT to do this??

ONE OTHER QUESTION: the original floor had a section that could be pulled-out to gain access to the gas tank. I hated the way that felt... it bounced because of the 3-foot span between stringers. I'd like to seal that puppy up, covering the tank with a full sheet of plywood & putting in a small waterproof access to the wiring only. Does anyone see a problem with doing this?

Thanks!
                            Last edited by Panoguy; June 30th, 2013, 01:23 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Originally posted by nateshindig18 View Post
                              Hey Panoguy! What your seeing in those areas where it doesn't touch the hull is how it came from Sea Ray.. Mine was the same exact way and I know for certain no work has ever been done on mine. you'll find that the stringers are also not bedded on the sides of the front motor mount! When I get to putting my stringers in I will be bedding them the entire length, also I am making mine out of two pieces of 1/2" ply for a 1" thick stringer instead of just the factory 1/2" so they wont have any of those spots where it's just two piece of wood butted up to each other. The way I see it, it won't be too much different than how it was engineered but it's going to be a hell of a lot stronger and more dependable!
                              Agreed! I'm going to do the same, nateshindig. It's amazing that the thing held-together at-all, isn't it?
                              Thanks for dropping-by!

Comment

Working...
                              X