Topside blistering/cracking

JonM81

Seaman Apprentice
My 79 VIP Bassboat needs a makeover. My idiot older cousin decided to do a make over on it his self about 6 years ago... The idiot sanded the slightly dull blue sparkley finish down and spayed an aerosol acrylic on the topside. He put on about 5 coats and well year befor last it blistered and cracked to hell as you can imagine... My guestion comes in now, what product will make the blue sparkley finish it is suppose to have... I know that interlux carries a blue brightkote put not sure if it will have the sparkley flakes... My other option is to just sand the blistering completely off and just clear coat it when I get down to the blue again, theres just ALOT of green blisteres and sanding has been a pain so far with hand sanding and belt sanding. I know either way I need to sand it, but what do yall think is the best route for my situation. Sand and repaint the topside and interior or sand and clearjust the topside. He didnt mess with the interior so its glossy sparkley blue. Any help appreciated.

bhalsdorf

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Topside blistering/cracking

Jon,<br />It's hard to answer that question without seeing what it looks like after you sand all the acrylic off. The original gelcoat may be in bad shape and couldbe the cause of all those cracks your seeing. If it is you will have to fix that and then either re-gelcoat or repaint. repainting is alot less work than gelcoating and you can get the metal-flake (sparkly stuff) added to almost any paint.

JonM81

Seaman Apprentice

I got a product from lowes that takes off about all the finish and paint under... Now, I am down to the nitty metallic paint... Do I continue with sanding and then put a marine clear over it.. The blue metallic looks awesome. I may have removed some of the gelcoat so that I am feeling a rough gritty paint job.. is this good or bad... The green and cracking acrylic is stripping away with some layers of gelcoat I assume.. Should I take the paint completely off or can I put a clear finish on it? Dazed and confused. Thanks again!

D

DJ

Repairing metal flake is almost impossible, for the amatuer.<br /><br />I would sand it all of and repaint with flake added, if that is what you REALLY want.

JonM81

Seaman Apprentice

So when do I know when I have gone far enough to repaint? When the color is completely gone and I have a smooth surface? I dont care about the metallic so much as I do a nice paint job... Thanks again!

D

DJ

Yes, when the metalflake is gone.