1979 MFG Caprice Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1979 MFG Caprice Rebuild

Right now just 1 layer but I used 3M polyester resin from lowes. I got them at a one time only price of $23 per gallon using price match but they said I could only do it once. I have not bought the resin from paints plus yet so I don't know the brand but it is polyester resin and comes in a 5 gallon bucket for $150 a bucket. We also used some of the resin for 1708, 2 layers for the transom and bulkheads, and PB for behind the transom, around the transom, and around the bulkheads. I would also like to add this boat did sink from a hole in the omc stringer outdrive boot, that's why all the mechanical parts were replace. I think that's why there was so much damage but could be wrong.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

18 gallons is a LOT for what you have done. The 3M resin has Wax in it. If you did not do Wet on Wet applications you could have delamination issues with the layers on your transom. With Waxed resin if it dries in between layers of Csm and 1708 lay ups you must sand and wash down with acetone to get porper adhesion between the layups. Did you have any of these types of issues? The New resin you are going to get is a good price. Just make sure it has NO wax in it. You WILL need to buy some surfacing wax to add to it for the final layer when you install the deck. You will need to sand the deck boards on the edges when you install them so the tabbing to the hull will adhere properly. Did you take the top cap off the boat?

I did sand and clean between layers and I didn't notice any adhesion issues. I did not remove the cap and it is very spacious and easy to work on everything so far. I thought sanding was required for proper adhesion no matter what, by the way that is just my thought I guess that isn't true if you have non waxed resin?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Good, if you sanded and wiped down with acetone you'll be fine. Nope if you use standard laminating resin with no wax you don't sand unless you wait 3-4 days between layups. The glass will stay tacky for a long time.

Sorry for such a delay. The boat is all done and had it on the water many times last summer. I will post some finished pictures soon.

sailor26

Cadet
This is a old post, are you still on here? I just got a 79 Caprice and have to tear up the entire floor and stringers. Glad I found this post to see what it looks like underneath.
Did you replace all the foam in your repair? Is that necessary?

FishboatWIMI

Recruit
This is a old post, are you still on here? I just got a 79 Caprice and have to tear up the entire floor and stringers. Glad I found this post to see what it looks like underneath.
Did you replace all the foam in your repair? Is that necessary?
Also curious on this? Currently considering the same...

Status
Not open for further replies.