1979 MFG Caprice Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just getting started on this one. I bought this boat last year and took it out a couple of times before the motor mounts gave out on me. Can't complain since I got this at a very good price and pretty much anything mechanical has been rebuilt or replaced. I notice the floor was soft when I bought it and thought well whats the worst it could be? A new floor? Well honestly I didn't know what I was getting my self into since the stringers, motor mounts, and transom were rotten. As good as this boat runs I am still interested in rebuilding and my brother has experience with composites so we should be able to get this done. Since my brothers experience is mainly in aircraft I feel like he may be overdoing it some but I could be completely off base. Here are some pictures of where we are now and I will explain how I think he is wanting to over do things some time tonight.

IMG_0109.jpgIMG_0102.JPGIMG_0103.jpgIMG_0104.JPGIMG_0105.jpg

Re: 1979 MFG Caprice Rebuild

My brother thinks it is necessary to put 3 or 4 layers of glass on the stringers, does this sound reasonable? I was thinking a layer of resin and one layer of glass to seal the wood and then maybe 2 or 3 layers where the stringers attach to the bulkheads and 2 or 3 attaching the stringers to the bottom of the boat. As you can tell I am new at this an would love to have this boat going but I am on a budget and don't want to go above and beyond what is required. Also when sealing the decking do you need glass on both sides of the wood or is sealing the bottom with resin and glassing the top make sense? How many layers of glass is required for the top side and if required how many for the bottom?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I think you shouls listen to your brother. Aircraft have to be strong and light which is also nice in boating too. Sounds like your talking polyester resin. If so, you never use just resin on anything wood, it will crack and fall off in a short time. Before talking about number of layers: what kind/weight of glass are you going to use? For stringers and mounts of any kind I would use enough glass to get to a 1/4" minimum thickness and thivker on the motor mounts. Some would say thats overkill but not me. IMHO

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Check the first link in my signature below. I has some good info for you about methods and materials. GS is Spot On about the Motor Mounts. I'd double what the stringers get. the 1708 biax is super strong and IMHO two layers of it is ample for stringers. I'd use 4 on the MM's

Thank you for both of your help which I am sure I will need much more before this job is done. Speaking of help what is the best way to remove the old wood from the transom? I have the interior layer of glass cut out but I am having problems getting the old wood out. Stringers and foam are out now updated pics coming soon. Couldn't use old syringes as templates since they were completely rotted away so starting from scratch there.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

use a circular saw set to 1/16" Less than the thickness of the wood on the transom. Cut a 1" grid on the wood up and down and side to side. Use a wide chisel and knock of the pieces. 4 1/2" Grinder with a backup pad and 36 Grit resin coated sanding discs to grind off the left overs.

Got the transom out this weekend and I wasn't going to rebuild the floor under the front of the boat but found some rot so out it came. We found what you see below under the floor. Hey now I am making money on this boat right? Little bit of sarcasm but things really did go well I thank all of you for your help.

photo.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Did you cut the transom with the Circ Saw? Did it aid in removal?

I already stared taking it out before I asked so I wasn't able to use that method. I think there was really to much rot for that to work though. I scraped most of it off with the back side of a claw hammer. I used a wood chisel for the parts that were stuck on and a 50 grit sanding disk on my grinder to finish up. This was no easy task and there seemed to be maybe an 1/8" thick layer of resin with no glass in it that was chipping off up against the outer fiberglass skin of the transom. Since it was chipping off we figured it must go so we used the grinder with the sand paper disk to smooth it out a best we could to make a good surface to put in the new transom.

How do you make the PB compound? I plan to put the transom in sometime over the next couple of weeks.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Not advisable. To many contaminates, and it will affect the bonding and strength of the end product. Cabosil is CHEAP. Use it.

That makes sense. Would it be wise to sub 1708 for the csm? Looks like I could get enough 1708 to do the job for like $50 dollars more and if it would be better i would be willing to spend the extra 50.

Glue removal was worse than I thought. Does anyone have any info on my previous question?

I know I will have a hard time explaining that to my partner on this build. I know I want to do this right so could you tell me why we need the CSM? I am having a hard time convincing him we need the CSM. Thanks again for all you help and guidance, don't know what my boat would have turned out like without all your help.

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

There is a difference of opinions here. Some say one layer of csm before 1708 is needed to help the 1708 go down. There is a layer of mat on the underside of the 1708, but it is of a lesser weight than the 1.5oz csm. It is said the layer of csm first makes the 1708 easier to lay, especially over contours.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You can prolly get away with using only the 1708 on the Stringers but for sure the deck does NOT need it. One layer of CSM on the bottom of the deck and 2-3 layers on the top is All that's required. If you want to go to the extra expense in both Resin and Cloth then YOu could do the deck with it too. Transom, IMHO, needs to have both CSM and 1708, but again, will using ONLY 1708 work. Probably so. Would I do it that way, NOPE! Your boat...Your Decision.

Here are some updated pics of the clean hull. There is some long hours of grinding and glue removal to get here.

DSC_0231.jpgDSC_0232.jpgDSC_0233.jpgDSC_0234.jpgDSC_0235.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.