1978 Sea Nymph SS160 resto

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: 1978 Sea Nymph SS160 resto

Spent 7 hours in the boat this weekend on my favorite largemouth bass lake and it was nice to be in a new boat! I found the trailer wheel bearing spindle quick metal repair is holding great, not one bit of leakage and zero heat. I opened the battery hatch when I got home and reached into the bottom of the bilge, drawing out a finger tip coated with bone dry sawdust and foam particles. Not one drop of water after 7 hours! I will post up a fish pic later, it was a great day of fishing.

I do have one problem I need to post in the outboard repair section. My 1977 Johnson 55 HP will not lock down in reverse and wants to crawl into the back of the boat when pulling off the trailer. I've looked the mechanism all over and everything looks good, nothing broken or bent so I have no idea how to fix it.

Watermann

Average bass of 20 caught at "The Stone" of course the big one got away! Was a bit disappointed to see no channel cats were out yet, we were looking forward to hooking into some whiskers.

y4msQa4kwlh_f1odCkzhNrYuKIsa1SQmjBcDs7CYeduB6KyW5ttO4hhC3PudiE564fp1TorPBgGLRftBResXz-aG9KOjdKgtW4zRjxrTgDD3m8w_Z05-0KiVVd6M80qHaorvM_yfEnbngJZEg1RYlfAYuyLINH19Ehn-Fp5XCz_9LiC1YsF0tlmoAwBVndW6xR9Vr52naEnJ9131DX-DZDpKQ

Last edited:

Watermann

I was shopping this weekend and found a cover for my SN when and where I least expected it. We were wandering about Costco and there was this Typhoon boat cover for a 16 - 18 foot bass boat for $77. It's heavy weight, waterproof, warranty for 5 years, has a center pole, straps with buckles and vents. Check it out...

y4mBln2yjPCyyeVoapcuY5FvIWfy_-3atzBVXxGzH_ATBL4AUuaIa0Tg2QPyphSm7yXTg0gqMtW92V8ax6PlgAhqoKZl_gRDT0I9_mEUanMtMQIuN-jjxvl8f1JLCHnHKo7VzWMuXVrXvdRi3voU9HDLrC9hnPCp5lQ3emt2MoyjPwg3b_eC3r_iCw-XwQTjCPa6iNFdB6N_jJqq75tUeNXcA

If like me your admiral wants her Buick parking spot back inside the garage of just tired of buying those flapping tarps that turn rotten in 3 months, can't go wrong for the price.

y4mVGrdeb7MuAzHOC0rKKSHcwSZ8CMSiwEatEgYymB_-Ah_R3VTZvDc8R8qqM4A9oSltWl2TRCxmRKqIsPA_Ef29raFX-8vFXgAQ5ubEewy-RCDhdaWJpc0tJSphLMUMzhALrUo3uUMnoaYF_pKDgJIAjWqxKpZ7uVwlngTq0Mil2cvq2eNMVtVDnkVUZDsiC24kRKT0dE9mbVeDPL7yKMYqQ

P.S. I didn't add the hyper link to the iboats covers, they seem to do that now days.

Last edited:

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was shopping this weekend and found a cover for my SN when and where I least expected it. We were wandering about Costco and there was this Typhoon boat cover for a 16 - 18 foot bass boat for $77. It's heavy weight, waterproof, warranty for 5 years, has a center pole, straps with buckles and vents. Check it out...

If like me your admiral wants her Buick parking spot back inside the garage of just tired of buying those flapping tarps that turn rotten in 3 months, can't go wrong for the price.

P.S. I didn't add the hyper link to the iboats covers, they seem to do that now days.

Congrats everything is working out great! Nice job on the cover.

Watermann

Hey thanks for taking a look, looking forward to seeing how your SN is coming along.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Average bass of 20 caught at "The Stone" of course the big one got away! Was a bit disappointed to see no channel cats were out yet, we were looking forward to hooking into some whiskers.

Great photo...I can't wait to catch some fish.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I have been quietly lurking in the background watching and learning as you have progressed through this build...
I would like to finally come aboard and congratulate you, Sir...on a beautiful, fast, well thought out, innovative and simply AWESOME job you have done restoring this boat...Very Well Done!
I wish you and yours many, many happy seasons enjoying the pleasures of your hard earned victory.
Thank you for sharing and being an inspiration to all of us.
Best regards,
GT1M

Watermann

Thanks for the kind words of praise.

This week was my annual fishing week (3rd full week in May, all week) where each day I visit a different lake in my area during the week. I used this as a sea trial for the SN rebuild. It stormed, rain, wind, thunder, white caps, calm, sunny and flat as glass were the water conditions faced on big or small lakes. I had a fish plug the livewell and over flow it. It poured buckets of rain. I pounded the SS screws, hull repairs, hatches and rattled my teeth in heavy white caps. Temps dropped into the upper 30's in the morning with snow dropping down into the mountains around the lakes.

I also have a fishing buddy who knows no boundary, not understanding the last foot of the boat isn't for him to stand in while fishing or peeing. Standing in splashwell, feet in the rigging and kicking on tilt buttons mounted to the transom. After it was all over and done I have some minor modifications in mind. The only repairs to do is the lower cover of my Minn Kota which broke on the last day. There wasn't enough water in the bilge to use the pump on, I just used a sponge to soak it up and get it out before covering.

The rusto deck armor held up great, made for great sure footing when wet and the muddy dirt tracked in seemed to just disappear on it's own. When I covered the boat today it looked new, even after some long hard days on the water with 3 of us at times. I figured out a work around on the Johnson's reverse lock and got it to lock in place. Best thing ever was the in deck cooler! Oh and the bass, trout, crappie, gills and perch will make for a nice fish fry.

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey thanks for taking a look, looking forward to seeing how your SN is coming along.

It's not, still waiting on this welder, and got married in the mean time. Will be getting back at it! Maybe find me a new welder.

Thanks for the kind words of praise.

This week was my annual fishing week (3rd full week in May, all week) where each day I visit a different lake in my area during the week. I used this as a sea trial for the SN rebuild. It stormed, rain, wind, thunder, white caps, calm, sunny and flat as glass were the water conditions faced on big or small lakes. I had a fish plug the livewell and over flow it. It poured buckets of rain. I pounded the SS screws, hull repairs, hatches and rattled my teeth in heavy white caps. Temps dropped into the upper 30's in the morning with snow dropping down into the mountains around the lakes.

I also have a fishing buddy who knows no boundary, not understanding the last foot of the boat isn't for him to stand in while fishing or peeing. Standing in splashwell, feet in the rigging and kicking on tilt buttons mounted to the transom. After it was all over and done I have some minor modifications in mind. The only repairs to do is the lower cover of my Minn Kota which broke on the last day. There wasn't enough water in the bilge to use the pump on, I just used a sponge to soak it up and get it out before covering.

The rusto deck armor held up great, made for great sure footing when wet and the muddy dirt tracked in seemed to just disappear on it's own. When I covered the boat today it looked new, even after some long hard days on the water with 3 of us at times. I figured out a work around on the Johnson's reverse lock and got it to lock in place. Best thing ever was the in deck cooler! Oh and the bass, trout, crappie, gills and perch will make for a nice fish fry.

Glad everything is working out so far! Also, good to know the deck armor held up ;) as I will be using that. PICS OF FISH!!

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congratulations, nice work. You really flew through this restoration:eek:

Watermann

It's not, still waiting on this welder, and got married in the mean time. Will be getting back at it! Maybe find me a new welder.

Glad everything is working out so far! Also, good to know the deck armor held up ;) as I will be using that. PICS OF FISH!!

Hey congrats on the new wife! I look forward to seeing your progress on our twin boats.

On the rusto deck armor, I learned a few things when using it, rough up the wood with a wire brush first and the main thing was going a bit light on the first coat but covering the wood, let it cure up for a few days before putting down the 2nd final coat. Also I wasn't aware that it takes 30 days to fully cure hard and can be damaged but it can be repaired very easily too. Once hard that stuff is tough as nails and very nice to look at as well. Probably less than 1/3 the cost of doing epoxy and vinyl

Watermann

The outboard fuel tank... I didn't like a messy loose cannon under the deck so I used a auto drip pan I found at Big R for 10 bucks, a nylon buckle with some spare strap and put it all together. Drilled holes in the pan, put the pan on top of the tie down strap, 5200 in holes, then SS screws in.

y4msHboFXBP_kfHKZrTwHAB5Uqho9zWtiSNbmvxRVRnli78qaJ9f_9tnuUuUXYChYYM7lyOhF3iELC1ekyqTivZLvJOCGlNpavD1YVdEVybslhFGrcozTppLWP36_YEm8KQ63ceXjM8v7AI43-3uQoDjDNGR4P2Br1RwWyu1I7j3jDc4jGSFvE8zr9_T3CBZ6bzumxz3y925dNF0y0xHKZcEw

y4mh6ZAXuAF9F7Ttyj1NVvvLkBN5W-HTI9Pl-3dDwkc4Cj7eAx_Hauy73b_ZEJKUTXMxUa4oUA1NXpdwyiBLHW9cTGVKH8RJqtXDKkjqXy35HJ2Wgko0Aq1nTD0QsmvpC1vBGCvrbUX4CtdtouR2ahsyDLL_KMfvPvfvjRti0txs9B54szH2LAqQjAdwC-m95gfo5f4BEhlue4_v1W5KUemLg

y4moS0P93HFEt_q-yS4hIvTbIjw7RQgIWcKjjisH18lJINNTz9LAeh3anzgVHPZvl2cOReqCe4JffwF_TfODbCEJHwqWfgDkg4oDOg7kIKD1ys6J1fzDbFK3f_XL8xIPGfPhD2L4hwb-ma_d1PKtNl_xj9jYkNoDraEhUG2pp11LPAMztKO8WmWgLbGMu7IeXCEgK0tR8_339DkDQHjaIqTvg

Makes for a tidy setup and no gas & oil soaked decking.

Last edited:

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is the 6gal enough? That's what mine came with and I have been looking for something in the 12gal or bigger range because I just can't help but feel like I'd run out.

Watermann

Is the 6gal enough? That's what mine came with and I have been looking for something in the 12gal or bigger range because I just can't help but feel like I'd run out.

For me 6 is plenty, the 55 hp will drink 5.5 gallons an hour at WOT. I have yet to run out or really even come close. I run on the gas for 10 min and fish with the electric for 2 hours or more then maybe on the gas for 15 or 20 min repeat with the electric and then come home with a half tank after fishing several hours. Besides a 12 gallon or more would need to be a permanent mounted tank, can't see lifting one full.

BonairII

Commander

(2) 6 gallon tanks would be my choice. Always nice to have reserve fuel onboard should you decide to run the motor longer....or get stuck on the lake with a tank of bad gas.

A 12 gallon would work if you installed a filler neck, so that you didn't have to lift it out of the boat to fill 'er up.

Watermann

(2) 6 gallon tanks would be my choice. Always nice to have reserve fuel onboard should you decide to run the motor longer....or get stuck on the lake with a tank of bad gas.

A 12 gallon would work if you installed a filler neck, so that you didn't have to lift it out of the boat to fill 'er up.

2 tanks is a good idea if you do a bunch of driving to your fishing holes. I have also taken just a spare 5 gallon can with me in the boat when I went camping and had some greater distances to travel to the fishing spots. Still never used the gas though until I got back to camp. I would say it all matters on how far you normally travel on your fishing trips not to mention how thirsty your outboard is.

Watermann

Spent the morning on the water at one of my favorite small mouth bass lakes. The admiral and I had fun watching deer, bald eagles and just cruising around the lake in our new 35 year old boat.

y4mIXJt-ojAuSbdo3Zai4nMrL6gWVcAZq2DeOOcyP_oDN_-GKU8xn9EnYL90KiAuLSrCiy7-CAdSXU-YcS2Q2WVDsJteU6Vt7SmcJFsiYKLEOcKkI_RwzWLosxsTvzth1SFEKQuLh6x0VCsrZUGpXbVTyijDjDk0PisYrFnPPSoTGgUqYCxc0W9sFJVhpOByqKnX9rwQ0QmKsqkIpt8R8FnCA

Nice little father's day present the lake kicked out for me.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice catch!

Is that the only Father's Day gift you 'landed' this weekend?

Watermann

Nice catch!

Is that the only Father's Day gift you 'landed' this weekend?

Hah! too funny... yeah the lake was sorta busy with kokanee trollers but the thought did cross my mind for some "tilt and trim" action.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Oh, I meant something much bigger :watermelon: You dropped a hint in someone else's thread. I thought you might do it here too ;)