Stripping paint from fiberglass boat

kfc1188

Recruit
I recently purchased a 14' fiberglass fishing boat that is in serious need of painting. I would like to remove the three layers of old paint before I repaint it, but I haven't figured out a good method. All of the paint removers at the local hardware store say not to use on fiberglass. I tried sanding with sandpaper, but this would take too long. Can anyone recommend a good stripping product. Thanks.

KenOhki

Seaman
Re: Stripping paint from fiberglass boat

Unfortunetly, Sanding I think is your best bet. I cant imagin doing it without a power sander. You could maybe sandblast it off, but I think you would just end up sanding again to smooth it after blasting.<br /><br />Hmm, that stuff says dont use on fiberglass, and you said you had a fibergass boat, but, if Im not mistaken, ( and I could be ) The Gelcoat on your hull is not fiberglass.

Paul Moir

Admiral

I can confirm most strippers melt fiberglass in a real hurry. :( Don't even bother with them.

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer

kfc,<br /> There are many manufacturer's that make paint remover for use on fiberglass.Try Klean Strip(water soluble)fiberglass paint remover.They may sell it here on Iboats.After stripping,wash down the boat and lightly sand.Most common strippers contain methylene chloride which is what to avoid using on fiberglass.It will melt the gelcoat/fberglass if left on long enough.Always follow directions/precautions when using a chemical remover.

Captain12pk

Cadet

Gel coats on a boat are quite thick you could use way more than you initially planned for. The gel coat isn't fiberglass, but what is under it is. It also is cured in much the same manor as the glass is. Where I work we use the same catalyst for the paint as the resin. Them strippers could eat through the paint and attack the fiber glass under it. The gel coat is actualy part of a glass boats construction, inmost cases the first thing doen to a boat. Sounds od, but painting the inside of a mould is the first stage of making a boat. Then you fill in the rest. A primer is added last, before the glass is added,and the glass bonds to that. <br />I would leave the paint on th eboat and sand the hull really well to help bond to the new paint, which i would recomend usung something that has flex to it. Otherwise your work would be all for not, resulting in many stress cracks or chips in the ne paint that would require repair again.

ratherbefishin

Petty Officer 1st Class

ICI distributes a waterbased chemical stripper under the ''HydroStrip'' label.Doesn't burn exposed skin, no fumes, even strips 2 part epoxy paints.Doesn't damage gelcoats, either.Spray it on,leave it overnight, lay down porous landscaping cloth[ to catch the paint particles] and power wash it off.The water based stripper is biodegradable, it can go down the drain.Check out the manufacturer www.napierenvironmental .com

Mikael-Block

Seaman

Hi all<br />Here in Denmark we use "brown Soap" don't know the English name. But it creamy soap used in the olddays for cleaning.<br />Put a layer on the bottom, cover et with plastic, so no air comes to it. Let it sit for 24h, and then scrap it off. <br />You can try a litle first, to see if it works.<br /><br />My mum, just did the floor, all the old lacuer on the woodfloor, she could scrape and wash off.<br /><br />Mikael