1978 Glastron Carlson CVX 16 inboard/outboard help

dlsilagi

Recruit
I have a friend who is willing to just give me his boat. the boat is a glastron carlson cvx 16. With trailer. The boat has been sitting in the barn since 1992. Been covered the whole time. no tears or harden leather. Gel coat is perfect. I would score this boat a 8.8 out of 10. The bad is, it has been sitting for 20 years, the gas gauge doesnt work, and he said when he took it out last there was a little black smoke coming out of the exhaust. he is the original owner and wouldnt lie about anything major. what should i look for before i take it, what steps should i take before i try to fire it up. could the black smoke just be from fowled spark plugs or rod adjustments. Does any one have a rough idea what it might take to get this thing going in the water, and not worry about breaking down. please help. thanks

dlsilagi

Recruit
1978 Glastron Carlson Helpand Hull Repair Google Share Button Facebook Share Button T

1978 Glastron Carlson Helpand Hull Repair Google Share Button Facebook Share Button T

I have a friend who is willing to just give me his boat. the boat is a glastron carlson cvx 16. With trailer. The boat has been sitting in the barn since 1992. Been covered the whole time. no tears or harden leather. Gel coat is perfect. I would score this boat a 8.8 out of 10. The bad is, it has been sitting for 20 years, the gas gauge doesnt work, and he said when he took it out last there was a little black smoke coming out of the exhaust. he is the original owner and wouldnt lie about anything major. what should i look for before i take it, what steps should i take before i try to fire it up. could the black smoke just be from fowled spark plugs or rod adjustments. Does any one have a rough idea what it might take to get this thing going in the water, and not worry about breaking down. please help. thanks

tonyjklh

Cadet
Re: 1978 Glastron Carlson CVX 16 inboard/outboard help

just start off with the basics, change the impeller, fluids, filters. check the ignition system(points, condenser, plugs, wires)
also would be good to check on the u-joints etc. than hook up some muffs and see if it will fire up. the black smoke could simply be that it was running rich. I had that same problem until I rebuilt my carb.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1978 Glastron Carlson Helpand Hull Repair Google Share Button Facebook Share Butt

Re: 1978 Glastron Carlson Helpand Hull Repair Google Share Button Facebook Share Butt

Welcome aboard! You might want to start by looking over the threads in the restoration section. For very basic starters... if the boat has an inboard gas tank you will need to drain out all the gas. Maybe even replace the tank if the gas has solidified in the tank. Unless you're VERY lucky, if the boat has sat for 20 years you will be looking at major engine work, possibly having to replace the floor and stringers underneath. Basically a ton of work. Does it have an outboard motor on it or an inboard outboard? What kind? Make, model and serial number? Wish I had better news for you but boats don't like to just sit.

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

Well, being that it is a '78, I doubt you will find any u-joints in it. Depending on the drive, and if it is in fact an OMC, you either have an electric shift stringer or a hydro-mechanical shift stringer. How about some pics of the engine and drive so we can guide you further?

tpenfield

Staff member

It is probably a crap shoot as to if the engine has rusted internally after 20 years. The condition of the engine/boat when it was put away really has nothing to do with the condition of it now.

If I were to be offered such a thing as this Glastron, I would see if I could get the engine to turn with a breaker bar and if it did, then maybe take it off the person's hands. If the engine did not turn, then I would probably pass. I would also check the floor and what ever I could see of the boat's structure to see if it will need a new floor and structural repairs.

Expect to do some rebuild on the engine.

I'm not sure how the gas gauge not working is part of the 'bad'. The gauge issue may be 'not so bad' as compared to other things.

Assuming that the engine turned and the boat became yours . . . I would pull the spark plugs and get some fogging oil into the cylinders. I would also remove the fuel system for a complete cleaning & rebuild. New motor oil, and flush and prime the oil system.

Once I got the oil squared away, I would try to crank the engine with the starter for a while and then see what it is getting for compression. I would also do a cylinder leak test and then a cooling system leak test.

At that point you will know if the engine needs to be taken apart or if you can go forward and re-assemble the fuel system, etc.

Hopefully, by that point the person you got the boat from is still your friend. If so, and the engine is looking OK, you can then move onto some of the structural issues, as needed.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Yer gettin' ahead of yerself,...

What motor,..?? What drive,..??

That's sorta a "Classic" hull,...
Definitely a candidate for a full refit to a more current driveline....

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

What's up with the title of this thread? What hull repair and what does this have to do with google and facebook share buttons?

New tires for the trailer before you move it.

Set a mouse trap or 2 in the boat to see if you catch any, mice can wreak havoc in a boat chewing wires and tunneling in the foam.

Fuel, fuel system, and carbs all need to be tended to.

Oil change.

Impeller change.

Check for dry rot throughout the boat.

There's no such thing as a free boat, this one will cost money to get it going.

Bondo

Staff member

dlsilagi,... Post yer question in One(1) forum, not every forum ya think applies....
'n please read the forum rules, 'n guidelines...

Cross-postin' in different forums leads to nothin' but Confusion...

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Focus on the power plant! 1st get it to turn over manualy or by hand. Then get it runnin and then worry or make a decission to buy and repair further! Look in the stickies @ the top of the I/O forum for help.