14ft Wooden Jon Boat Pics

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 14ft Wooden Jon Boat Pics

Really nice looking boats, Joey.<br /><br />But those aren't jonboats, in my opinion. A jon is a flat bottomed, square bow, square stern boat with very little elegance. They are usually meant to be outboard powered and make stable fishng boats.<br /><br />To me, the pirogue is closer to a canoe. Sleek lines meant for poling, rowing or paddling. The gheenoe is similar.<br /><br />Show us pics of progress and your finished product. I'll bet she is a beauty. :)

jktrahan

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry about that, your right, those are not Jon Boats. I did not put the full URL to the Jon Boat pics. Here you go:<br /><br /> http://www.kalebtrahan.com/pirogue/bigmamma.htm <br /><br />The boat is all plywood except for rails and runners and will support up to a 10 hp motor.

SCO

Lieutenant

Looks good. I've been thinking about building that very boat.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yup. That's what I call a Jon Boat.<br /><br />Pretty cool one, too. :)

crab bait

Captain

gotta luv it..!!<br /><br />you did good.. ain't it fun..!!<br /><br />how much do you think it weights.. ??

splugeeman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks good ...let us know when you catch something out of it!

D

DJ

Very nice work, you should be proud.

jktrahan

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys, according to the plans it's only supposed to weigh around 100 lbs, but I've added a few extras so it's probably closer to 130 lbs. I plan on picking up a 9.9 evinrude this weekend, then i'll need to find a cheap prop to try everything out.<br /><br />I was able to launch it this past weekend to check for leaks and see how it handled. Everything checked out fine and it turns out to be nice and stable(moving around without problems). I had a 36 lb thrust trolling motor on the back and surprised at how easily it pushed the boat around. I can't wait to see what the 9 horse has in store for me.<br /><br />All I've got left to do is add a second coat of epoxy to the front deck and coat the inside rails with epoxy before gluing them in. Then cover all the epoxy with two coats of spar varnish, whewww!<br /><br />I'll post some pics of my first catch soon... Hopefully,<br /><br />Joey