Building a raised casting deck on a fiberglass hull.

JohnKee

Seaman Apprentice
Dear List members,<br /><br />Have any of y'all fitted a aft. casting deck on to an existing fiberglass hull? For example a Boston Whaler Montauk or Alert.<br /><br />My questions are, first, how would one fasten the new deck to the port and starboard sides, the transom and the existing deck? Can one, for example, glass in a wood ledger, or aluminum angle, to these locations to receive the new deck? Does one first remove the gel-coat in those places wherein such a ledger is to be planted? Lastly, do you have recomendations regarding the material out of which shch a deck "ought" be fabricated?<br /><br />I know there are "how-to" books on fitting such new deck to existing hulls. Do any of y'all have recomendations re. procedures or books? Have any done this? I am a cabinetmaker (retired) by trade and still have access to my shop, but I haven't worked with fiberglass save using westsystem epoxy for joining wood and plastic laminates etc.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />JohnK

crab bait

Captain
Re: Building a raised casting deck on a fiberglass hull.

gee, john.. you really want this don't ya..?? <br /><br />you gotta have um big um hum a um intestinal fortitude to do what you want,, to a boston whaler..!! jb's gotta be cringin'..!!<br /><br />i really can't help ya with the startin' point..with cuttin' into the boat to get a foot hold.. but,,,<br /><br />keep in mine that you are a woodworker.. an probably pretty darn smart.. if'n you have the 'want to' an the 'stick to' ,,, you can do it.. cause you got the time ,tools ... an lord knows,, you got the lumber..<br /><br />instead of cuttin' into the boat.. i'd latch ( epoxy & screw ) ledger board to the boat to start.. screws are temporary to act as clamps,, since there's nuthin' really behind the glass to bite into..<br /><br />use only '' THICK'' epoxy for this.. an for constrution.. ruff up the surface alittle,, an thick epoxy will stick tremedously to fiberglass ,, FOREVER..!!<br />by itself,, without screws... an remember to NEVER clamp/screw titely... just hold & make contact.. cause it'll sqweeze out the 'poxy an cause a 'dry' weak bond..rap the wood with wide maskin' tape.. so as to contain the 'epoxy run/drip down the boat sides..<br /><br />then build that beautiful hondras mohogony deck..!!!<br /><br />it'll be a beautiful work-of-art.. i give my john henry on it..!!<br /><br />ps.. use the 'THIN' epoxy for laminating an for sealin' all 4 sides of A L L .wood as per to encapsulate everything..<br /><br />good luck.. ( i'd love to see it ..!! )<br /><br />also use VINEGAR to clean 'poxy off a tools ,boat, you ect.. nuthn' works better..

Bondo

Staff member

Vinegar ????? I never heard that before... Now i gotta go mix a batch to test it..LOL....<br /><br />crabbait's got it really dialed in.... GLUE your creation to the boat... Whalers Don't take screws very well... The West Systems is a good product, with plenty of additives,+ mixing options....<br /><br />GO for It !!..<br /><br />We're here Rooten for Ya...

JohnKee

Seaman Apprentice

Crab bait,Bondo,<br /><br />Yes, I do want to do this. I would like to buy the Alert hull and fit it out completely. But it's a lot of work and I have only 6 weeks a year to devote to it. I don't especially want to spend it all in the shop. <br /><br />I guess the BW croud don't think one can inprove on BWs. Gee I hope I don't make enemys! So if I buy the Montauk I think I will fish it as-is for the first season (minus those gunnel rails). I will then know just what is needed to make it better for fly-casting.<br /><br />Tomorrow is the second day of the Nor-Cal Boat show, down here in the San Francisco Bay Area. I will go have a look. I'm still undecided.<br /><br />Thanks to both of you for the encouragement and the suggestions. Get back to y'all later.<br /><br />JohnK

crab bait

Captain

JOHN,, i think your right,, use it for a year,,,then decide..<br /><br />john,, how is the port townsend wooden boat show/regatta..?? is it as alsome as i hear..??

JohnKee

Seaman Apprentice

Crab Bait,<br /><br />NOTHING is as "awsome' as it is represented to be! That being said, the Festival is well worth attending. Especially for those who like to build boats. The Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding always has some very "Bristol" boats on display. They are a top-noch insitution. There are many "how to" demonstrations: vacume baging, steam bending etc, for the home boat builder.<br /><br />There is also many stalls showing "the latest" what-have-you relating to the maritime trade and history. Also, last year two "tall ships", the Lady Washington and the Constution (if I remember corectly), loaded their cannon, cam cruising under full canvas into P.T. Bay with blood in their eyes. The staged a battle, in with each ship, jockying for position, touched off broadside salvos that filled the Bay with smoke, fire and thunder; grapeling hooks and boarding parties with cutlass drawn and knives in their teeth. It was very impressive.<br /><br /> Port Townsend, in the early days, was the "shanghai port" and it likes to live up to its rputation.<br /><br />If you like sea chanties there is usually a number of good groups singing and other nautical art on display.<br /><br /> I think it's being held sometime in the first week of Septembger this year. That's very close to the end of my vacation but if I'm there I'll take you fishing. <br /><br />Regarding the Nor-cal Boat show: I went yesterday. There were 800 trailerable boats on display. Most of them looking like fake carnival boats: silver and gold glitter enbeded in purple hulls, which hulls looked more like Buck Rogers space-ships than anything in which one would wish to be caught alive/dead.<br /><br />There were three displays that caught my eye: Boston Whaler, McKee Craft and Scout Boats. I would have been well satisfied with any of their<br /> 17'+ - offerings. <br /><br /> I thought Scout had an edge in design, fit and finish. The ceenter counsol is wider than the Montauk's, the beam is also wider, and there is a great deal of stowage space inside the console, under the raised fwd deck and on the sides at the transom. There is a jocky-box on the console to the right of the instrumentation. Also the Scout had a 32 gal built-in gas tank under the deck and no rails on the gunnels aft of the midship line. The Fwd rail was much lower than the Montauk's, and stouter. The two were priced about the same (21k w/ power; the McKee Craft about 1k less expensive.<br /><br />I wandered back and forth between these three for four hours. I bought the Scout.<br /><br />Best,<br /> JohnK

crab bait

Captain

REALLY..!! WOW..!! CONGRADUATIONS..!!<br />good boat.. just be thankful you 'escaped' buyin' one of those 'carival' boats.. all that flash & glitter is scienctificly enginneered & placed there specificly to 'HYP-NO-TIZE'you into buyn' it..!! many -o-good men has lost there families nest egg to dem boats...that damn sparkly finish.. a man is only so strong ... were only human ,, for cryin'-out-loud..!!<br /><br />i guess ,, you'll be 'bustin'a gut' to try her out..!! glad for ya.. i think you bought right..<br /><br />well ,, i think the P.T. boat show sound even M O R E awsome ,,NOW.. it don't take much in a wooden boat show to impress me,, thats for sure..sounds great & alotta fun..!!<br /><br />i have a good friend who lives in port angelis.. always tells me to come out.. <br /><br />by-the-way john ,, i'm a fly castin' sob..!!.. i was taught by pro's at the castin' club at golden gate park in the early 80's .. an can also catch fish while doin' it..!! i have an early edition 'scott <br />PowR ply' rod .. 6 wt. 9 ft.. it's a line throwin' sob that rod is & can handle more .. right now i'm throwin' a 9wt bass plug taper,, an it handles it like it's made for it..with power to spare..<br /><br />thanks for the invite.. would love to.. who knows.. never can tell .. <br /><br /> <br /><br />keep it touch,, tell use about about your brand new boat...

JohnKee

Seaman Apprentice

Crab Bait,<br /><br />I'll send you my phone number if by any chance we find ourselves in P. T. at the same time.<br /><br />I'll have to wait a week or so before delivery since the boat show willl last that long. Then I have to find a place to park it, no easy task in S. F. So it will be a while before I can tell much about the boat.<br /><br />I've heard of that casting club here in S. F., but never visited it. If you can use #9 line on a #6 rod then you have something to teach me. I know the salt water fishermen over-load their rods to get quick, short casts to crusing fish, but I've never tried it.<br /><br />Best,<br />JohnK

crab bait

Captain

and a 'bass plug taper' at that..!! <br /><br />it ain't me ..!! it's the ROD... <br />IT'S GOT SOME POWER.. like i said,, it handels it like it was for it...it could probably handel a 10 wt.. <br /><br />yeah, that club's pretty cool.. bought my rod after seein' fly guys fish on a campin'trip in the foothills.. looked beautiful an thought it would accompany my life style.. campin' hikin' photograpy.. bought the best i could find .. big ,BIG $$$..an i didn't know a cotton pickin' thing about fly fishin'.. but all there was at the time was fiberlass an $$$ graphite..no in-between..<br /><br /> i lived in the 'east bay' an heard of a castin' club in golden gate park by 'height- ashbury'entrance..so i went.. i came appond a beautiful little pond that was full of white mississippi paddle boats .. all r/c controlled.. it was WILD..!!<br />must of been 30 of 'em...dreamlike..<br />i wasn't sure if'n 'height-asbury' had somethin' to do with it..<br /><br />the castin' club was close by.. <br /><br />i just pulled up ,, bought my brand new gear out .. introduced myself.. told 'em i'm new last this & needed some help an they literily fought among them selves to see who could be the one t help me first... good buncha fellas.. came back a few more times.. learned alot ..