What to do??

robnox

Cadet
Hi all,<br /><br />I need a bit of help deciding what to build.<br /><br />I am nearly finished building a D4 Dinghy (stitch and glue) which I am doing for a mate. It is my first even boat building project. When I finish I want to do something for myself.<br /><br />I recently bought plans for a Glen L Dyno Mite however I don't really feel like building this just yet.<br /><br />I would like something to transport on the car roof that would suit my newly purchased 1961 Mercury 9.8hp outboard.<br /><br />I like the look of the blitzen, buzz, mustang and meteor on the website (classic, sexy, wooden) ; http://www.svensons.com/newweb/?boats <br />HOWEVER I want a really simple build (ie. stich and glue). I know it sound a bit lazy but I really want to get out on the water.<br /><br />Does anyone have any suggestions.<br /><br />Thank in advance,<br /><br />Rob for Oz.

SCO

Lieutenant
Re: What to do??

Hey Rob, <br />Check this link out. http://www.gatorboats.com/ <br />I know the history of Louisiana, and these boats appeal to me because the designs evolved over the past 200 years or so in the swamps and Bayous There. Ive seen the predecessors of these boats in museums.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Hey Rob,<br />Gator boats are classics. Also look at this site:<br /> http://homepages.apci.net/~michalak/ <br />Michalak does a lot of plans for good boats of all sizes. Get his book if you can...a real deal for less than $20 U.S. I am considering one of his designs called the Twang. Check the past issues index in the page/link above and look at Aug 15, '02. The subject lines are building oars and Twang. Looks like a neat little power skiff that ain't so little, but still easily car-toppable or able to slip in a truck bed.<br /><br />TWM

crab bait

Captain

for your requirements,, hands down flat-out the best boat is the 'power skiff 14'' from glen-l.. no doubt...

robnox

Cadet

Thanks guys, I've had a look at what you suggested and they are all fairly easy to build which is great but I really like the style of the lines on the buzz. I might put up a new post and see if anyone thinks this can be done as stich and glue.<br /><br />Rob.

flashback

Captain

Hi Rob, that,s a neat web site, I found a boat on there called the scat-cat that built back when i was 16 years old, still have the boat in the bsmt. the motor is long gone tho..... anyway, i like the buzz .....but i think it might be tough building it with the stitch and glue method entirely, as these boats do require a little more framing than normally used in stitch and glue. but i guess you could re-design it.

robnox

Cadet

flashback the scatcat looks like it goes like a rocket! very cool.<br /><br />I was also looking at the "victory" as a stitch and glue. Only problem is I have no idea how to modify plans for this type of construction. I supose all the dimension can be lifted from the original plans but how would I go about the side and bottom panels? Has anyone tried this? Any ideas?<br /><br />Thanks Rob.